Narrow Boat & Dutch Barge Joinery Designs for Boat Fitters - Mike Jordan - Duplex Dinette

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

First post on here, and starting with a new project boat. Does anyone have a copy of the above book they would be willing to sell and post to me. I can't find it anywhere to buy on the internet. I see Mike is on these forums but not posted for a while, so not sure if he see's this if he could help.

I want to build a duplex dinette, that does not look like a caravan setup, with loads of flexibility, and hoped his book may help with a starting point.

Very open to ideas from others on this also.

Thanks Laurie 

'Scuse  ignorance, but is duplex  an L shaped seating with table that is on a dropping table leg, rather than my American diner with a table that fits in to the base to make a double bed 6×4' ?

I think I like the American diner, I have one, it was recently upgraded with a nice 1" thickoak table, and a polished steel or chrome fixed leg.

I have a boat which was fitted out by owner, he had certain skills, but finish was basic, OK for holidays, but not for liveaboard unless you have low aesthetic aspirations.

I have upgraded all the fittings, all the cabin linings, all the upholstery, not a problem as I knew I'd have to do this when. I bought the boat, but when you are fitting out, it will be expensive, and the temptation must be to say "that will do".

Think it out carefully.

Edited by LadyG

58 minutes ago, LadyG said:

'Scuse  ignorance, but is duplex  an L shaped seating with table that is on a dropping table leg, rather than my American diner with a table that fits in to the base to make a double bed 6×4' ?

I think I like the American diner, I have one, it was recently upgraded with a nice 1" thickoak table, and a polished steel or chrome fixed leg.

I have a boat which was fitted out by owner, he had certain skills, but finish was basic, OK for holidays, but not for liveaboard unless you have low aesthetic aspirations.

I have upgraded all the fittings, all the cabin linings, all the upholstery, not a problem as I knew I'd have to do this when. I bought the boat, but when you are fitting out, it will be expensive, and the temptation must be to say "that will do".

Think it out carefully.

Do you mean something like this?

Setee 4.JPG

Known to me as a Pullman dinette.

i suggest you have a look on the waterways world site where the articles were originally published.

a search should reveal which issue it was in and enable you to purchase a back issue.

Best of luck with the project.

Mike.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for the replies. No not L shaped. 2 seats and a table each side, which can be 2 single beds or a double, or be setup as long seats for 6, with a table between. Get the bit about upright seats, and exactly what I am ripping out atm. If I go ahead with this I want it to look like a proper job and super comfortable. We plan to tour the network over a couple of years when boat is finished. 

I don't get how that would allow 2 singes or a log set and table for six unless: one pair was movable AND there are extra boards & backs stowed somewhere. them there is the need for two small, one larger, plus one long table. I just don't get it. Please enlighten.

I forgot that the Pullman dinette is not included in the book, They are very straight forward to make and easy for any experienced woodworker to make. Extending L shaped or straight double with storage behind and drawers below are more complex and are included.

After owning five boats I am of the opinion that an extending double berth with folding table and a couple of folding chairs  is the best system in terms of economy of space and ease of use. The table and chairs can also be used on deck or off the boat.

3 hours ago, Laurie Roberts said:

Thanks for the replies. No not L shaped. 2 seats and a table each side, which can be 2 single beds or a double, or be setup as long seats for 6, with a table between. Get the bit about upright seats, and exactly what I am ripping out atm. If I go ahead with this I want it to look like a proper job and super comfortable. We plan to tour the network over a couple of years when boat is finished. 

The back end of my boat was like that, two box seats each side which doubled as storage and were hideously uncomfortable, with a table on a stick which could be dropped down to make a single equally uncomfortable bed. One by one they disappeared.

A lot depends on how many people are going to be on your boat, most of the time. If it's just two, make sure you've got really comfortable chairs for yourselves. Visitors can put up with a bit less comfort for a short while.

3 hours ago, Mike Jordan said:

I forgot that the Pullman dinette is not included in the book, They are very straight forward to make and easy for any experienced woodworker to make. Extending L shaped or straight double with storage behind and drawers below are more complex and are included.

After owning five boats I am of the opinion that an extending double berth with folding table and a couple of folding chairs  is the best system in terms of economy of space and ease of use. The table and chairs can also be used on deck or off the boat.

Mike thanks for the reply. Do you have an old copy of book I could by anyway ?

Thanks Laurie