Enclosed Rear Area

mark99

Featured Posts

Walking along the Regents Canal today I saw a narrowboat with a sort of cruiser stern with the whole rear area enclosed via a wooden structure with windows creating a snug cabin to steer from.

This cabin was able to be folded and collapsed down via hinges to enable the narrowboat to go under low bridges etc without chopping off the cabin.

Never seen a narrowboat like it before..... anyone know if they are common? I think it may even have had a wheel rather than tiller too?

Rgds

Mark

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.

That sort of stern is not unusual, there are a few about. The most notable one I can think of is one at the marina near to the Stenson Bubble on the T&M on a futuristic looking black and silver nb, hopefully someone on here may have a pic of it.

am i helping?
You are not yet hindering... That is all....
Nemesis, nemisis...taciderm, pacheaderm...its all the same......bugger!! swmbo is on the move....quick drink up and lets move to the BMC and open a fresh bottle
Agreed....

In reply to the original topic, has anyone ever seen one of these 'improvements' that does not look a complete mess.. I think there should be a law against such things, preferably with the penalty being 'capital'.

On a philosophical point why is it only the incompetent idiots that tackle such jobs, there is no reason why it should not be possible to add an additional structure to a boat that does not assault the aesthetic taste and sensitivities of every passer by.

Thanks Rog for the welcome.

As regards the enclosed rear cabin on the Regents - at first glance it looked like quite a reasonable job - and quite a nice alternative for bad weather cruising - but who knows - it may steam up/condensation and be no good at all. I wish I had my camera with me at the time.

Mark

Thanks Rog for the welcome.

As regards the enclosed rear cabin on the Regents - at first glance it looked like quite a reasonable job - and quite a nice alternative for bad weather cruising - but who knows - it may steam up/condensation and be no good at all. I wish I had my camera with me at the time.

Mark

I think that the boat you have seen is a narrow boat built to a Dutch barge design. Not all that uncommon.

I think that the boat you have seen is a narrow boat built to a Dutch barge design. Not all that uncommon.

I'm new to this narrowboat m'larky and yes, after a bit of googling I found that avenue to explore too however, I cannot find a picture on t'internet to satisfy my curiosity further.

Can anyone else (cut through the excess white noise in this thread :wacko: ) and point to a piccky/more info?

Mark

You are answering your own posts

lol yeah suppose so - thanks for the time you invested in being smart - in the interests of public spirit-ness there may have been someone else vaguely interested also it may have stopped someone else searching out data and wasting their time cos I already found it.

I see from the sum total of your responses to this thread you need to get out of your boat a bit more.

Mark

Edited by mark99

lol yeah suppose so - thanks for the time you invested in being smart - in the interests of public spirit-ness there may have been someone else vaguely interested also it may have stopped someone else searching out data and wasting their time cos I already found it.

Actually not a bad thing to do, if you answer your own question, when someone else comes along next year with the same question, it'll help em find the answer.

I see from the sum total of your responses to this thread you need to get out of your boat a bit more.

pwned, nice one Mark