The morons Have Been at it Again.

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Ah, yes I know the George and Dragon well and it’s lovely list of beers 

Might be in the Plum Pudding at the end of the month but otherwise haven’t been in since last summer. 
The Golden Glow has always been on good form the few occasions I’ve been in. 

Seeing as you mention the Ashby, have you been in the Lime Kilns the past year? It’s under new management and I’m wondering how it’s doing. 

It's a couple of years since I tried the Lime Kilns, the beer and food was good but the outside area was going downhill rapidly.

9 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’ve also single handed the flight at various times of day including early and late and in near darkness. Never had even the slightest hint of a problem there.

A cautionary tale then..

I was single handing down them early morning last winter,  and a friend had driven out to meet me and set a few locks.

Having got down to lock 3 he was approached by two men in a very threatening way, who managed to get him backed up against the empty lock chamber.

Luckily although my mate is a short cheerful 70 year old, he's lived a bit - and could see what was coming next.

They'd presumably followed him from where he'd parked his 70k car, it turned out another mugging had taken place the same morning by two blokes fitting the description.

7 hours ago, noddyboater said:

I can't think why anyone would moor behind the houses opposite the knackered hat factory when you can be out in the open country again in 10 minutes.

We had an evening walk up the lane through the woods to the Church End brewery tap last time, most enjoyable if a little further than I thought!

I did because I wanted water and rubbish disposal first thing before going down the flight. I wasn't out on deck looking at the countryside, I was inside with the heating going so could have been moored in a shed and not know it . More importantly an Indian Takeaway for dinner that night from town

Edited by ditchcrawler
I like adding bits

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I did because I wanted water and rubbish disposal first thing before going down the flight. I wasn't out on deck looking at the countryside, I was inside with the heating going so could have been moored in a shed and not know it 

I like to stand in the hatches with a whisky after mooring up, looking across to moonlit fields and trees is better than scabby back gardens and a derelict factory.

Same thing in the morning, much prefer an early start from somewhere scenic.

One occasion a few years back, It was pre-Covid, we were moored just past the hat factory.  Walking back from town with groceries we heard some glass being smashed. A bunch of kids were inside the factory smashing every pane they could reach. They shouted out "are you going to call the Police" "we don't care" "they never catch us" etc.   Those same kids have probably now graduated from damaging empty and derelict property to vandalising occupied premises. Wondering what they will move onto next.

20 hours ago, noddyboater said:

I like to stand in the hatches with a whisky after mooring up, looking across to moonlit fields and trees is better than scabby back gardens and a derelict factory.

Same thing in the morning, much prefer an early start from somewhere scenic.

But at some stage you will need to buy the whiskey, to say nothing about food.

24 minutes ago, Slim said:

But at some stage you will need to buy the whiskey, to say nothing about food.

True, it's a sad day when the malt runs out.

But it doesn't take much planning to tie up, stock up, and bugger off to somewhere more pleasant really.

I often kip in my van when working away but I don't sleep in Tesco car park after an evening shop.

6 hours ago, cowpie said:

One occasion a few years back, It was pre-Covid, we were moored just past the hat factory.  Walking back from town with groceries we heard some glass being smashed. A bunch of kids were inside the factory smashing every pane they could reach. They shouted out "are you going to call the Police" "we don't care" "they never catch us" etc.   Those same kids have probably now graduated from damaging empty and derelict property to vandalising occupied premises. Wondering what they will move onto next.

Probably running the country.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, noddyboater said:

True, it's a sad day when the malt runs out.

But it doesn't take much planning to tie up, stock up, and bugger off to somewhere more pleasant really.

I often kip in my van when working away but I don't sleep in Tesco car park after an evening shop.

Didn't fancy turning round and going back towards Nuneaton after I had got the Indian Takeaway in Atherstone 

48 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Didn't fancy turning round and going back towards Nuneaton after I had got the Indian Takeaway in Atherstone 

Where's your sense of adventure?

I'd have reversed back to the Anchor at Hartshill.

Has anyone been in since it changed owners last autumn? He had big plans but I'm not sure they included boaters wandering in for a pint without having a three course meal.

From Whatpub:

** Note: Ales are only available in the restaurant, and if busy they will have to be consumed in the Canalside Bar or marquee.

I called in there in October '22. Wasn't impressed.

Next time I'm passing I'll yomp up to the Church End Tap.

4 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

From Whatpub:

** Note: Ales are only available in the restaurant, and if busy they will have to be consumed in the Canalside Bar or marquee.

I called in there in October '22. Wasn't impressed.

Next time I'm passing I'll yomp up to the Church End Tap.

I think that's about when it changed hands. I called in after a long cold day from Braunston, the place was empty apart from the new owner and his family. His plans were centered on birthday parties and fine dining rather than passing trade, but luckily he'd got a barrel of Landlord on that was perfect.

54 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Where's your sense of adventure?

I'd have reversed back to the Anchor at Hartshill.

Has anyone been in since it changed owners last autumn? He had big plans but I'm not sure they included boaters wandering in for a pint without having a three course meal.

Had a great Sunday Lunch there, but why would I want to back up with an Indian getting cold. It looks like meals upstairs and beer down, not sure as we went to eat.

We did The Limekilns on the Ashby  last Easter. Three real ales on in good condition. They also have half a dozen bagged ciders that they have to go down to the cellar for. It's no longer a Marston's establishment.

• Greenie 1