CRT conservation work

Heartland

Featured Posts

Excellent propaganda though there are calculations proving the wellbeing benefit in monetary terms, and this is not mentioned.

Let's hope  income streams build up to compensate for shortfall from UK government. It seems a high risk strategy, that's politics for you 

Edited by LadyG

I can hardly blame CRT for following the trend and describing "spend on maintenance" as "investment", perhaps I should invest in a service and MOT for my car rather than spending money on it, might sound better to the bank manager....

42 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I can hardly blame CRT for following the trend and describing "spend on maintenance" as "investment", perhaps I should invest in a service and MOT for my car rather than spending money on it, might sound better to the bank manager....

You beat me to it. This is one of my many hobby horses and I was intending to make the same point.

"Investment" is purchasing an asset or making long term improvements to an asset you already own, and is treated differently for tax purposes.

"Maintentance and repairs" are for keeping what you already own in good working order, and are revenue expenses so totally different from investment. 

Similarly, saving and investing get mixed up in the media by ignorant journalists. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

"Investment" is purchasing an asset or making long term improvements to an asset you already own, and is treated differently for tax purposes.

I think this definition sums up what an investment is 

investment
uk/ɪnˈvest.mənt/ us/ɪnˈvest.mənt/
NOUN [ C OR U ]
the act of putting money, effort, time, etc. into something to make a profit or get an advantage.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think this definition sums up what an investment is 

investment
uk/ɪnˈvest.mənt/ us/ɪnˈvest.mənt/
NOUN [ C OR U ]
the act of putting money, effort, time, etc. into something to make a profit or get an advantage.

By that definition, surely one could put money, effort, time etc. into maintaining the condition of an asset.

Just now, Ewan123 said:

By that definition, surely one could put money, effort, time etc. into maintaining the condition of an asset.

The tax man has very clear rules about the difference!

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

perhaps I should invest in a service and MOT for my car rather than spending money on it

Certainly "can I have a loan to get the vehicle serviced and MOT'd" will go down better than "can I have a loan to pay the fine I've received for no MOT"...