1kw immersion heater

luggsy

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, luggsy said:

Hi best place for a 1 kw immersion heater 26” long struggle to find one any one know the best place and price for one ?

I used to get them from Aquafax

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Just checked, they do a 27'' plus other 1kw  Is yours Surecal tank

5 minutes ago, luggsy said:

Hi best place for a 1 kw immersion heater 26” long struggle to find one any one know the best place and price for one ?

Buy a marine element with a thermostat and a safety over heat cut out as well.  Domestic elements do not have the safety cut out which is required when used on a pressurised sealed system as on a boat.  27" long is a standard size.

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Buy a marine element with a thermostat and a safety over heat cut out as well.  Domestic elements do not have the safety cut out which is required when used on a pressurised sealed system as on a boat.  27" long is a standard size.

All domestic immersion heaters in the UK have required a thermostat and a separate non self resetting thermal cutout since at least 2009.  

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, booke23 said:

All domestic immersion heaters in the UK have required a thermostat and a separate non self resetting thermal cutout since at least 2009.  

But it is not calibrated to work at the temperatures expected in an engine heated calorifier 

The marine 1kw elements are usually smaller fitting 1,1/2'' BSp as apposed to I think 2.1/2'' bsp. And should have removable thermostat tube which slides out to use on a new one, it has the mains power socked attached to it.  For Surecal stainless steel calorifiers

only, If I remember correctly.

Edited by bizzard

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The marine 1kw elements are usually smaller fitting 1,1/2'' BSp as apposed to I think 2.1/2'' bsp. And should have removable thermostat tube which slides out to use on a new one, it has the mains power socked attached to it.  For Surecal stainless steel calorifiers

only, If I remember correctly.

2 1/4" bsp.

15 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Only enforced on sealed systems. You will find many on sale without the cutout, regretfully.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Only enforced on sealed systems. You will find many on sale without the cutout, regretfully.

That's awful. The whole reason the regulation was introduced was after that baby got killed when an immersion stuck on in a vented system and the tank in the loft melted and failed. 

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

Just checked, they do a 27'' plus other 1kw  Is yours Surecal tank

Hi yes I think it is and looking on there website it says 2 & quarter BSP

Edited by luggsy

3 hours ago, luggsy said:

Hi yes I think it is and looking on there website it says 2 & quarter BSP

Just looked on their website and can't see any sizes. Yours maybe 2.1/4'' I think you need to remove yours and measure it. If it is a Surecal calorifier it shouldn't be dead tight, leave it full of water, if you have not got the box spanner to undo it an ordinary large pair of grips should do it easily as it uses a softish rubber gasket, like an oil filter. Turn off the mains supply to it first, then unplug the cable from it's thermostat. remove plastic cover and pull out thermostat and rod. you can then get your grips on the big element nut unscrew and remove it.

14 hours ago, booke23 said:

That's awful. The whole reason the regulation was introduced was after that baby got killed when an immersion stuck on in a vented system and the tank in the loft melted and failed. 

Its possibly ignored on marine calorifiers as not many narrowboats have plastic tanks in the loft...

But I agree with the principle of an overheat protection thermostat being a Good Idea. Nearly all of them are designed to trip at 90c though (and require a manual re-set), perilously close to the temp a calorifier might reach when heated by engine coolant. Then the immersion heater won't work when you need it as the overheat will always be tripped.

• Greenie 2