Another way of opening lock gates.... (USA)

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

I found this picture on the Historic Erie Canal Facebook group  altugh it's actually on the Black River canal, a feeder canal (feeding traffic rather than water) 

I've seen balance beams, I've seen winches on the bank, I've seen rods fastened to the mitre post, but I ain't seen one of these before...

BlackRiverCombine.jpg.4aa209586d5b3e8a7a42be714af58a2a.jpg

Text description

Delta Dam, July 18 1911

A great photograph from the new Black River Canal combine at Delta Dam in Rome. This is the middle of 3 locks that make up the one structure. The photo is showing the "hand operating machinery" which gives you a good idea of how the chamber gates were opened and closed. In a "lock combine", gates are shared between chambers. This is the lower gate for lock 9 and the upper gate lock 8.

• Greenie 4

I was intrigued by this device 

Darent-disused-lock-Dartford.jpg?resize=

Which is beside a disused lock on the river Darent near Dartford in Kent. 

Maybe this was something to do with opening the gate as the sluice seems to be in the background. 

(image stolen from the internet)

On 18/12/2023 at 11:03, magnetman said:

I was intrigued by this device 

Darent-disused-lock-Dartford.jpg?resize=

Which is beside a disused lock on the river Darent near Dartford in Kent. 

Maybe this was something to do with opening the gate as the sluice seems to be in the background. 

(image stolen from the internet)

It is indeed a mechanism for opening the gate at the lock in Dartford.  This is the best photo I can find (from a group visit in 2018). The rack and pinion engages on a quadrant attached to the gate, rotating it through (say) 75 degrees.  It no longer works, sadly, though you can get through the lock around high tide.  More photos here:  https://scholargypsy.org.uk/2018/05/29/fc3-dartford/

DSC_1376.thumb.JPG.eacc1d8c634a1af135d292382bf6203b.JPG

On 17/12/2023 at 21:17, magpie patrick said:

I found this picture on the Historic Erie Canal Facebook group  altugh it's actually on the Black River canal, a feeder canal (feeding traffic rather than water) 

I've seen balance beams, I've seen winches on the bank, I've seen rods fastened to the mitre post, but I ain't seen one of these before...

BlackRiverCombine.jpg.4aa209586d5b3e8a7a42be714af58a2a.jpg

Text description

Delta Dam, July 18 1911

A great photograph from the new Black River Canal combine at Delta Dam in Rome. This is the middle of 3 locks that make up the one structure. The photo is showing the "hand operating machinery" which gives you a good idea of how the chamber gates were opened and closed. In a "lock combine", gates are shared between chambers. This is the lower gate for lock 9 and the upper gate lock 8.

There is a similar mechanism on a number of (non-navigable) tidal doors in the Fens.  This one is at Boston Grand Sluice in Lincolnshire. When the non-tidal river (in the foreground) is higher than the tidal section, the water pressure forces the gates open. As the tide comes up to make a level the weight, steel cables and pulleys pull the doors shut to keep out the tide (as here). Just an enormous and  very simple one-way valve!

dsc_4216.jpg

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Ther lock between Oulton Broad and Lake Lothing is similar known as Mutford Lock. I don't have any photos with me. I have found this video on line 

It is of course not the only back-to-back double lock in the UK. For example

* Bow locks
* Torksey

* Keadby

plus several that have either sector or guillotine gates and can operate in either direction, eg

* Three Mills (I had the fun of working this myself recently!  https://scholargypsy.org.uk/2023/11/16/after-the-protest-cruise-return-from-west-india-via-three-mills-to-st-pancras/  )

* Limehouse

* Denver

* Salters Lode