Dogs on narrowboats. I'd like to speak to someone.

Sloughwriter

Featured Posts

50 minutes ago, IanM said:

That has been pointed out before but there's a lot of people on here with the incorrect view that once a picture is on the internet there's nothing the copyright holder can do about it.  Ray has often said he believes it's ok as he views it as for personal use.

My professional photographer wife disagrees.   The more people do lift pictures the more people are fooled into thinking it is OK.

Personal use does not as far as I know mean publishing it on the net, the advice we have had is it is more for personal study by yourself.

5 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Would you like me to delete them?

Not our photos so it isn't my call.  Looking at the photos I doubt it would be possible to trace the copyright on some.

The point of my post was to remind people what the situation re copyright is.   Remember in some cases, probably not his one, it is somebody's living i.e. income stream that is potentially being weakened.

34 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Jerra, if you are unhappy, please feel free to report me to the admins and ask them to remove my post plus any copies referring to that post.

It’s not really the admins job to remove them, more for you not to post them in the first place. 

Anyway, we’ve been through this before. 

This debate always gets a bit silly but the best way around this is to post a link to where the picture is hosted rather than the image itself..

But that said it essentially is of very little difference anyway from posting the actual image especially if one cannot guarantee that the host you have linked to has sought permission to put it there.

I would say Ray keep them where they are. Nobody is seeking financial gain from putting them up here and yes strictly that doesn't make a difference but hells teeth let's have a sense of proportion here.

5 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I am unsure why I have attracted flack and not others who have posted historical photos?

I got stick for it a while back, but TBH very little, to no sleep was lost over it.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I did when I copied a Facebook post on here and a member on here took me to task of Facebook saying the post had been shared elsewhere 

I'm pretty sure if you post anything on Facebook you lose any right to copyright or any rights to prevent it being shared anywhere.

It's buried in their T&C's ISTR. 

On 12/12/2023 at 13:11, Ray T said:

Would you like me to delete them?

I don't have a view on this, it's not my picture and I'm not wanting to fire flak.

However one of the responses to this "theft" is for the owner and provider of the image to replace it with something else. Often deliberately offensive.

In such a case would you consider yourself in breach of the forum terms, for posting something offensive?

Hmm, can't find the funny article I remember. Here's the serious version. https://altlab.com/hotlinking/

Ah, huffpost https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/oct/28/cartoonist-the-oatmeal-trolls-huffpo-over-images-published-sans-permission

List of examples of more famous responses https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HotlinkedImageSwitch

Ah here we are! https://www.cockeyed.com/pranks/imposter/imposter.html

2 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Your cockeyed.com website throws up a security risk warning.

Yes, their webserver's SSL certificate isn't properly set up. This works without warning,

https://cockeyed.com/pranks/imposter/imposter.html (I removed the www. after examining the cert)

We weren't going to send any bank details there anyway. 😉

On 12/12/2023 at 14:33, M_JG said:

I got stick for it a while back, but TBH very little, to no sleep was lost over it.

I'm pretty sure if you post anything on Facebook you lose any right to copyright or any rights to prevent it being shared anywhere.

It's buried in their T&C's ISTR. 

The Facebook thing blew up out of all proportion when they changed the T&Cs to say that you allow Facebook to use any images you upload or words to that effect.  There was a lot of people getting their knickers in a twist about how that meant that Facebook had the rights to your pictures and could do anything with them.  However it's slightly more simple and less headline grabbing than that.  They had to have permission to use your images as otherwise they couldn't display it on their website (Facebook).  Your profile/page doesn't belong to you, you're just telling them what you want them to display on their site essentially and to do that they need your permission to use images you upload.