Beta marine 4.3 2001(?)

Featured Posts

We, now just I, have been 9yrs on our boat. About 8yr ago the core plug went while on rivers in Yorkshire. My hubbybwas crafty and managed to secure a "temp" plug 😉

Fast forward the 8yrs as his fav saying is "Don'tworry'bout it" and it held till last winter when he fell ill. 

Since then I have been topping radiator used that expensive metal seal mechanics swear by. Had a full service, changed belts, filters etc.

Worked perfect for a few months. Now an injectore is going 

I have the proper parts from Bata Marine folk. 

My question (s) is....

How difficult is it to replace core plug? 

2nd, as I feel I am chasing the dragon atm, I am thinking replace engine, and start anew. 

Is there ppl whom would take part exchange for this engine, like trade in towards a new one. 

Or should I just have this referbed? 

Thanks in Advance

Do you  know the total hours on the engine? It would give an idea of whether the engine is generally knackered from old age, or just needing some localised fettling.

It's not particularly difficult to replace a core plug - access is the usual practical issue. Is it a domed type or a cup type? The former needs a good thwack in the middle with a wide punch to splay it a bit to make it seal, the latter can be inserted with eg a socket head a bit smaller than the cup. In both cases I'd use some appropriate sealant.

One also has to ask why the core plug went in the first place. This may be due to corrosion due to not changing the coolant often enough. The antifreeze doesn't lose its anti-freeze capability but it does lose its corrosion inhibiting properties. Normal blue antifreeze should be replaced (by draining and refilling the cooling system) every 2 or 3 years ideally. If there is a lot of corrosion inside the engine due to not replacing the coolant, then other difficulties may manifest themselves.

9 minutes ago, Mishchell said:

We, now just I, have been 9yrs on our boat. About 8yr ago the core plug went while on rivers in Yorkshire. My hubbybwas crafty and managed to secure a "temp" plug 😉

Fast forward the 8yrs as his fav saying is "Don'tworry'bout it" and it held till last winter when he fell ill. 

Since then I have been topping radiator used that expensive metal seal mechanics swear by. Had a full service, changed belts, filters etc.

Worked perfect for a few months. Now an injectore is going 

I have the proper parts from Bata Marine folk. 

My question (s) is....

How difficult is it to replace core plug? 

2nd, as I feel I am chasing the dragon atm, I am thinking replace engine, and start anew. 

Is there ppl whom would take part exchange for this engine, like trade in towards a new one. 

Or should I just have this referbed? 

Thanks in Advance

Fix the core plug it's not hard, kubota the base engine is very tough and reliable 

• Greenie 1

Cheers 👍🤞

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Easy to replace IF you can get at it easily?

How many hours on the engine?

Yes places will swop it out but dont be hasty they are great engine

The hours are many. For some reason, at some point Hubby disconnected it. 

• Horror 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Does it start easily? does it smoke hot/cold? Does it use/burn oil?

I used to till I had her serviced. 

Etc. Replaced starter battery also. That was boiling ffs. 

Now she starts bang on & clean. 

Just water level will stay just below the neck. Top ip u hear the drip.

5 minutes ago, Mishchell said:

I used to till I had her serviced. 

Etc. Replaced starter battery also. That was boiling ffs. 

Now she starts bang on & clean. 

Just water level will stay just below the neck. Top ip u hear the drip.

Beta 43s have varied a bit throughout the years but our 2011 model is filled from the rectangular "box" above the exhaust manifold. It is important to note that if yours is the same, you do not fill it right up otherwise it will just overflow the next time you run the engine and the coolant heats up and expands. The correct level is about 1" below the neck when cold. If you put more in than that, it will just disappear into the overflow. I just wanted to check that it was actually leaking and not just a case of over-filling!

• Greenie 4

I thought this also and I do leave it IF i can see water. 

After 1 or 2 runs, check levels, and top till I can see water when needed. 

Does anyone know if Kubota have engineer(s) that would come and fixor take and fix if needed? 

Atm I am in a marina dealing with my loss. I am on shoreline, but need engine to get hot water, till  I can sort an emmersion heater. 

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Find where the drip is from. Send a photo of it.

You sound practical, we will help if you want to fix it.  Where are you located?  

I looked at as best I could. I couldnt see anything. Just heard slow drip again. 

I then went on line to see if manual had a location of core plugs..instead found this place 👍

I am located in Leigh

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mishchell said:

I thought this also and I do leave it IF i can see water. 

After 1 or 2 runs, check levels, and top till I can see water when needed. 

Does anyone know if Kubota have engineer(s) that would come and fixor take and fix if needed? 

Atm I am in a marina dealing with my loss. I am on shoreline, but need engine to get hot water, till  I can sort an emmersion heater. 

I looked at as best I could. I couldnt see anything. Just heard slow drip again. 

I then went on line to see if manual had a location of core plugs..instead found this place 👍

I am located in Leigh

Kubota is a Japanese company so I doubt they have any engineers in the UK and anyway they just make the base engine which is used in a lot of agricultural machinery. They wouldn't know anything about boats. Beta Marine are the people who buy in the base engine and then convert it to marine use. However I don't think they really have any engineers for general maintenance. I think your best bet is to try to find a reputable marine engineer in your area. Unfortunately we are based in W Midlands so I don't know anyone in your area, but others might. There is RCR (River Canal Rescue) which has national coverage but I am reluctant to recommend them because there have been a number of adverse reports and in particular they quite like recommending a "refurbished" replacement engine, which by accounts is not in great condition. If you do go to RCR, don't let them talk you into a replacement engine!

By the way, you talk about refilling with water - maybe you didn't mean "just water" but be aware that you need the correct amount of antifreeze not just for anti-freezing, but for corrosion protection as well. On the other hand no point in pouring in antifreeze if it is just going to pour out again! I guess it may not matter too much for a short period, but you don't want to leave a very weak solution of antifreeze in the engine for too long.

Exactly.

Hence why I am weighing options and hoping I can manage till a trusted engineer is found. 

I have 2 friends, engineers born & raised around motors and when I asked them the same question 1 came back with a bitch of a job, the other oe replied...shouldn't be to big a deal 🤣🤪

1 minute ago, Mishchell said:

Exactly.

Hence why I am weighing options and hoping I can manage till a trusted engineer is found. 

I have 2 friends, engineers born & raised around motors and when I asked them the same question 1 came back with a bitch of a job, the other oe replied...shouldn't be to big a deal 🤣🤪

I think both are right. Replacing the core is easy. Gaining access to replace the core in the confines of a boat might be a PITA!

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think both are right. Replacing the core is easy. Gaining access to replace the core in the confines of a boat might be a PITA!

Assuming that it's the core plug that is leaking - Do the Beta water pumps have a tell tale?