Sunroof Install experience or resorces?

Charles Albert

Featured Posts

If it is about getting extra light you could consider ECS ventilites. These are stainless steel ventilators which have a small plastic transparent lens in the centre. 

Not much light but they do provide a bit and are also fixed vents which is always nice to have. 

https://www.f10marine.com/product/watertight-vents-ventilite-ventair/

I would think long and hard before cutting a large hole in the top of the boat. Normal boat hatches like Houdini hatches are known to cause condensation problems but plenty of people do have them so probably not terrible.

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Not much light but they do provide a bit and are also fixed vents which is always nice to have. 

https://www.f10marine.com/product/watertight-vents-ventilite-ventair/

I had some similar to those as vents. The stainless steel covers were pop riveted to the steel roof. Those little ridges around the edge are meant to be drains but they got completely blocked by dirt and mossy growth. When I finally removed them the steelwork underneath was seriously corroded. Now replaced by mushroom vents.

For light through the roof your choice is really between a houdini hatch, dog box or it's smaller cousin, the pigeon box. You will find examples of all of these on the forum.

At one time you could get relatively cheap aftermarket sunroofs for fitting to cars. No idea if they are still available and if they could be fitted to a narrow boat roof, but I imagine the edge detail between the sunroof surround and cabin roof lining might be problematic.

Yes I have ventilites on one of my boats. You do need to keep them clear of debris and preferably lift and clean underneath from time to time. 

Another option and something I have done before is to fix a perspex dome onto the cabin top. They stick up a bit but they do provide quite a bit of light. 

Provided one also cuts a hole in the steel and the lining. 

They come in all different sizes and are actually very durable. 

Ropes don't get caught which is a good advantage of a simple perspex dome. 

Depends on how much curvature there is. 

Edited by magnetman

A neighbour of mine cut a large hole in his roof and fitted a huge 1m x 1.5m double glazed opening window in his roof. It seemed to work for him but I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons: 

1) cutting though roof supports which are usually located every 18" or so may release stresses in the curvature of the roof and you may end up with an uneven, distorted aperture that you have to fit the window to. 

2) the roof of a narrowboat is structural and you may weaken the entire hull. Fine when it's in the water fully supported, but what about if it's being craned or on a slipway supported by perhaps only 2 points?

3) installing such a big window in such a small area limits your options for walking down the roof when you need to in locks for example. or for fitting solar panels. 

4) because boats flex a window of that size may be difficult to seal watertight,  especially if you have issues with point 1)

First and foremost a boat is a boat. Think hard before you install things that may reduce its functionality as a boat - unless you're not really interested in boats as boats. But if you must do it I would speak to Martin Kediian of this forum and see what he says.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2