Fridge replacement

Onewheeler

Featured Posts

I'm thinking of replacing our ancient but functional LEC 12 V fridge with a mains powered one (various reasons, but not in a rush to do it). Now, most mains fridges have a climate rating of 10 C or 16 C to something fairly high. What happens when the temperature in the boat drops substantially below the lower temperature range? At some point presumably the fridge gives up and ambient temperatures are cold anyway, but does anything undesirable happen? The boat is unoccupied for at least several days a week, but I'd like to leave the fridge on so that we have ice for a G&T when we get back.

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Look for one suitable for a garage or outbuilding. Beko seem to make many that are suitable. Otherwise you won’t have Ice if the outside temp drops. 

And anything in the freezer compartment will defrost. Apparently a known problem with cheaper domestic fridge freezers that rely on the fridge thermostat only to control the compressor. Put it in an unheated garage and all the frozen food thaws.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

And anything in the freezer compartment will defrost. Apparently a known problem with cheaper domestic fridge freezers that rely on the fridge thermostat only to control the compressor. Put it in an unheated garage and all the frozen food thaws.

Yep. I used to think that Beko was a budget make

but we’ve had one of their fridge freezers in our unheated work unit for 14 years now and it’s not missed a beat through winter or summer. Just has the one stat which we’ve set at number 4 as per the manual and it’s been spot on. Would happily buy another if it dies.

Beko freezers are often rated as suitable for garages, and I'm looking at one for home. Can't find a fridge rated for that sort of temperature. I could live with no ice for the G&T when it's very cold on board, that's going to the pub to warm up with a pint of Titanic Plum Porter weather 😋

22 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Beko freezers are often rated as suitable for garages, and I'm looking at one for home. Can't find a fridge rated for that sort of temperature. I could live with no ice for the G&T when it's very cold on board, that's going to the pub to warm up with a pint of Titanic Plum Porter weather 😋

I was looking at a Beko fridge in Currys the other day that was suitable. Have a look on the Beko website 

I bought a larder type fridge without a freezer compartment. I find them more trouble than they're worth as I don't really need ice, you can't get much in them and they seem to require constant defrosting. I don't really know what happens with my fridge when the ambient temperature drops. Presumably the thermostat just switches it off.

Edited by blackrose

12 hours ago, frangar said:

I was looking at a Beko fridge in Currys the other day that was suitable. Have a look on the Beko website 

The website lists no under counter fridges as having a minimum operating temperature below 10 C.

11 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

The website lists no under counter fridges as having a minimum operating temperature below 10 C.

So they don’t!! Sorry! It seems you are ok with a freezer or a fridge freezer. Could have sworn they said the fridges were also suitable for outbuildings..maybe I just read that in curry’s and stupidly believed them!  Means I need to check up for my outbuilding too!! 

I've had a Beko larder fridge and a Beko freezer happily operating in my garage for the last ten years. 

Mind you it is an integral garage with a bedroom above it, and had cavity wall insulation but no heating.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification
  • Greenie 1