Whale Gulper 220 - Water Dripping from Blue Clamping Ring

JoeC

Featured Posts

Hello.

My Whale Gulper 220 is leaking water from the blue clamping ring. I have not removed nor taken it apart yet but my initial question is how tight should the two screws be on the clamp? I have tightened them a little but not all the way and it is still dripping.

I don't know how old the Gulper is - I have owned the boat for 1.5 years and built in 2001 and I am presuming that all stuff is original fit. I think that the diaphragm is used to seal the two parts together with the help of the clamp, that there are service kits and my issue could be it just needs a clean. This is the first issue I have had with the Gulper so no need to have 'gone inside' so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Whale Gulper 220#1.jpg

Whale Gulper 220#2.jpg

Years ago I used to pee about with various kits for these and other pumps. The fix would last a few days/weeks at best before more intervention was needed. They are like diesel in reality, a consumable. The price is low as they are built down to a price rather than of quality. They are a case of stop wasting your time

Bin and replace.

Edited by mrsmelly

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Years ago I used to pee about with various kits for these and other pumps. The fix would last a few days/weeks at best before more intervention was needed. They are like diesel in reality, a consumable. The price is low as they are built down to a price rather than of quality. They are a case of stop wasting your time

Bin and replace.

Having just replaced a Jabsco parmax 4 that had a small weep but on further investigation was found to have motor full of water at about 5 years old  I totally concur on just replacing….pumps are a boating consumable especially for liveaboards. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Whale gulper is quite expensive. Not like cheap and cheerful shurflo pumps. 

I wonder if there is some scaling causing the leak. May be worth getting the thing apart for inspection

Indeed the gulper is better than the water supply units, they are brilliant. However at probably over twenty years old!!

I had a Gulper fail a few years ago. As I recall it was a flap/joker valve. Bought an overhaul kit which was not cheap. Replaced the various parts supplied including the diaphragm which forms the seal between the two parts of the casing. Could not get the diaphragm to stay in place whilst re-assembling. The locating lip was just too tiny. After hours of fiddling around gave up and binned the whole lot. 

Long winded way of saying exactly the same as Mr Smelly. 

I took it apart to give it a clean. There may have been a blockage in the 'exit' piping to the outlet on the hull as when I put my wet/dry vac on it to suck the pipe clean there was a small thud as something went into the vac - maybe a build up of hair.

As for the Gulper ... the diaphragm did not sit very well so I'm guessing maybe the blockage caused a build up of pressure and the diaphragm let go and that is why it is leaking. However, I'm unable to get the nut off that holds the diaphragm on ... the bolt spindle is just going round and round along with the nut. I cleaned it the best I could, took valves off and cleaned them and when I reassembled I put some Vaseline around both sides of the diaphragm to help with the sealing. However, it is still leaking.

I'm guessing that what with me being unable to get the diaphragm nut off that it means a new Gulper is required.

Now ordered one from Marine Electricals for £114.76.