Dog box

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Martin Kedian said:

Another dog box 

IMG_0030.jpeg

IMG_0027.jpeg

How do you secure these to the cabin top? It looks like you are using an adhesive and/or screws rather than welding. 

Nice job but what is the medium to long term situation with these?

there seems to be a bit of rust creeping under there in the last picture. 

On 07/11/2023 at 20:03, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Fair enough,

Like you say each to their own,

Id prefer them covered with wooden plugs,

Especially the ones that appear to be simply counter sunk 

Plugs are easily made from the off cuts, 

A simple attention to detail makes a difference. 👍

although I only had Houdini hatches I made the linings for them in a vaguely similar way with exposed screw fixings. This allowed me to lower / remove the entire lining  easily. Over the years I had to do this on several occasions and it more than compensated for a very minor visual 'blemish'. 

4 hours ago, magnetman said:

How do you secure these to the cabin top? It looks like you are using an adhesive and/or screws rather than welding. 

Nice job but what is the medium to long term situation with these?

there seems to be a bit of rust creeping under there in the last picture. 

Welding is fine on a new boat windows are traditionally sealed using sealant and this is the same never had issues  no rust as you suggest as the pictures were taken on the day of fitting 

12 hours ago, Slim said:

although I only had Houdini hatches I made the linings for them in a vaguely similar way with exposed screw fixings. This allowed me to lower / remove the entire lining  easily. Over the years I had to do this on several occasions and it more than compensated for a very minor visual 'blemish'. 

Fair enough, perhaps I’m being harsh,

I can see the brass screws with cup washers are done for an effect, and I’ve done this myself,

But my eyes are drawn to the other screw heads in the lining,

the ones that fasten to batons, which is a shame because they distract from the lovely woodwork,

it’s those I think should be hidden somehow 🤷‍♀️

12 hours ago, Slim said:

The screws as you say appear to be simply inset into the Oak however they are not wood screws as you may have thought they are stainless steel 6 mm threaded sets and are holding the Oak into place they are going into 25 mm box section steel this gives a gap for insulation behind the Oak timber 

the sets would not take a brass cup and I did want to be able to have access to the steel behind the wood if needed which is why I decided not to plug them at this stage however I did sink them below the surface the Oak is 20 mm thick and once the assembly is proven the possibility of plugs is a possibility if it seems appropriate This was a paid job and was very time consuming I enjoyed it and the customer was delighted and happy with the outcome 

• Greenie 4

7 hours ago, Martin Kedian said:

I enjoyed it and the customer was delighted and happy with the outcome 

That’s  all that matters mate. You do nice work and clients pay the bills.  

I built a huge patio for a client using all reclaimed materials.  Tiles, stone, setts, coins, reclaimed bricks. She insisted that all the pebbles came from her garden so I spent days picking them out of the spoil. I could have got the same effect buying a couple of bags of pea gravel and she’d have been none the wiser, but that’s not the point.   

• Love 1