BSS renewal

Momac

Featured Posts

What happens if a BSS expires (and is not renewed) part way through a license period . Do C&RT withdraw the license or take any other action ?

C&RT say

image.png.d8e2c13ccf86589eb65384e519223f43.png

So does this mean the BSS only has to be valid on the date of the purchase of a new license?

48 minutes ago, MartynG said:

What happens if a BSS expires (and is not renewed) part way through a license period . Do C&RT withdraw the license or take any other action ?

C&RT say

So does this mean the BSS only has to be valid on the date of the purchase of a new license?

If you allow your BSS to lapse you must inform C&RT (6:4)

But I'd be more concerned about your insurance being invalidated, as they (generally) say that the boat should be covered by a valid BSS on waters that require it.

• Greenie 1

Mine went out by a week earlier this year before it got a new one. I'd only remembered at the last minute and had to wait seven days for the surveryor. When I phoned up they (boatyard) said CaRT would only give me grief it if was expired at licence renewal. When I checked in on the CaRT site later on the day of the test the updated expiry date and cert number was already registered. Never had an email or a peep from them. I was prepared to take the outboard off and temporarily declare it exempt from BSS if I couldn't have got a test booked in at such relatively short notice.

Edited by BilgePump
clarifying who 'they' meant

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you allow your BSS to lapse you must inform C&RT (6:4)

But I'd be more concerned about your insurance being invalidated, as they (generally) say that the boat should be covered by a valid BSS on waters that require it.

I read it as 6.4 is about changes to the boat  that affect bss status

C&RT already know  when the certificate expires  so why would it e necessary to tell them what they already know?

Insurance is  silent on bss requirements. 

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

As well as checking your insurance terms check your marina mooring terms and conditions as well.

They often stipulate the requirement for a valid BSS.

The marina here has no requirement .

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I had an email from CRT reminding me it was due in December, I had already booked it for this month which it passed with flying colours 

Yes I expect to get a reminder just as I did last time .

Not sure its  possible to get  a flying colours pass but no comments is good enough for me.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well I'll be blowed - I'm sure when I enquired there that they said no Licence required but both the BSS and Insurance was needed.

The BSS was definitely required at Newark (we were moored there for some time)

It would be unwise to be uninsured but the marina here does not check that insurance and BSS are in place.

There are a few boats that never leave the marina so I very much doubt they have a valid BSS.

My BSS expired in November 2019 and was not renewed until May 2020.  But the boat was ''off water'' so I guess C&RT were not interested. The marina wouldn't have known when the BSS expired.

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Not sure its  possible to get  a flying colours pass but no comments is good enough for me.

It would be unwise to be uninsured but the marina here does not check that insurance and BSS are in place.

There are a few boats that never leave the marina so I very much doubt they have a valid BSS.

My BSS expired in November 2019 and was not renewed until May 2020.  But the boat was ''off water'' so I guess C&RT were not interested. The marina wouldn't have known when the BSS expired.

Marina doesn't check?

Not in T&Cs?

Makes a big difference

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I am surprised that a marina as big as Farndon doesn't insist on insurance and BSS!

Burton Waters were very keen on it. Even more so after the uninsured boat set the fuel berth and another boat on fire!

We got reminders about 12 weeks before licence, BSS and insurance expiry dates. We also had to sign a copy of the terms and conditions every 12 months to say we understood what was required. 

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Since my last BSS I have installed a generator and another solid fuel stove I had also fitted a smoke/carbon monoxide detector for the new stove. The generator I had done exactly as per the book he was very impressed with the job which is why the flying colours comments came from

48 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I had an email from CRT reminding me it was due in December, I had already booked it for this month which it passed with flying colours 

CaRT had emailed me 3 months beforehand with a reminder. Was my own fault that I'd forgotten. They never messaged me once it had expired but it was only a week out when renewed, and within the same licensing month.

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I am surprised that a marina as big as Farndon doesn't insist on insurance and BSS!

Burton Waters were very keen on it. Even more so after the uninsured boat set the fuel berth and another boat on fire!

We got reminders about 12 weeks before licence, BSS and insurance expiry dates. We also had to sign a copy of the terms and conditions every 12 months to say we understood what was required. 

Not sure why a marina would require a BSS but its their business so they can ask for whatever they like.  We don't require a license at Farndon (if not leaving the marina) but a license is required at Burton Waters which may explain the BSS requirement.

For the annual moorings no signature required  but obviously they do require payment.

11 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

CaRT had emailed me 3 months beforehand with a reminder. Was my own fault that I'd forgotten. They never messaged me once it had expired but it was only a week out when renewed, and within the same licensing month.

I expect its an automated email with  no human involved.

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Not sure why a marina would require a BSS but its their business so they can ask for whatever they like.  We don't require a license at Farndon (if not leaving the marina) but a license is required at Burton Waters which may explain the BSS requirement.

For the annual moorings no signature required  but obviously they do require payment.

They required a BSS as proof that the boat passed the safety standards at the time of the test. The BSS is the only available tool to do that for them.

A CRT license is required to berth at BW as part of the NAA agreement with CRT.

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

They required a BSS as proof that the boat passed the safety standards at the time of the test. The BSS is the only available tool to do that for them.

Like I said that's up to them. It's  their business.

I don't consider a BSS to have much value regarding safety standards. Maybe the gas system test has a value but that's about it. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Where is that stated please?

As your selective quote reverses the meaning of what I wrote, I shan't bother to elucidate.

15 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Like I said that's up to them. It's  their business.

I don't consider a BSS to have much value regarding safety standards. Maybe the gas system test has a value but that's about it.

I don't think it has any value whatsoever, except to the examiners who make money out of it. The gas check is useful, the rest is nonsense.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

59 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Marina doesn't check?

Not in T&Cs?

Makes a big difference

My enquiry is about C&RT's response (or lack of it) to a lapsed BSS. I am not interested in marina terms and practices  for the purposes of this  thread.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

As your selective quote reverses the meaning of what I wrote, I shan't bother to elucidate.

Obviously I misunderstood - sorry about that .

6 hours ago, MartynG said:

C&RT say

One issue from a lapsed BSS from CRT interactions may well occur if you try and book something through the CRT bookings web page such as a lock passage, visitor mooring or Anderton lift. We went onto the Montgomery last month and the booking system would not let me book because the insurance details had expired and I had not put the new policy details in. Whilst this is not the BSS per your question, I would expect consistent checking on the booking site.

3 minutes ago, PeterF said:

One issue from a lapsed BSS from CRT interactions may well occur if you try and book something through the CRT bookings web page such as a lock passage, visitor mooring or Anderton lift. We went onto the Montgomery last month and the booking system would not let me book because the insurance details had expired and I had not put the new policy details in. Whilst this is not the BSS per your question, I would expect consistent checking on the booking site.

That's a very good reason for not letting the BSS expire . Thank you.

I don't make any online bookings but I do book tidal locks by phone so maybe the same issue would apply.

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

That is interesting. It's always struck me as odd that places like the Harecastle let boats through with no licence or number. I know they take down the details from boats that have them, but they certainly don't stop boats with neither going through. The online thing might make life a bit more difficult for the unlicensed .

16 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That is interesting. It's always struck me as odd that places like the Harecastle let boats through with no licence or number. I know they take down the details from boats that have them, but they certainly don't stop boats with neither going through. The online thing might make life a bit more difficult for the unlicensed .

I thought you now needed to book the Harecastle tunnel online.