Insurance when not CC ing

Norm55

Featured Posts

Possibly a bit green here but when my boat was insured I had to nominate home marina.  Have since moved to linear mooring and there is an admin charge of £47 just to have this detail changed.

Few weeks back we left boat on towpath on 14 day mooring and went home for few days.   As boat was not left in home marina, i was not insured.    Given the nature of our lifestyle, i find this odd.  Anytime we are not sleeping on our boat, unless it is at home mooring then we are not insured.  This also goes goes to those that are C C  ing 

Is this normal for all policies ? 

No. I think our policy talks about where it is normally kept, but that doesn’t mean it always has to be kept there. And lots of people don’t have a home mooring. Maybe this makes the policy slightly more expensive, but boat insurance is quite cheap and a £47 admin fee represents quite a significant % of it. I would just have insurance where you don’t need to specify a home mooring.

I just looked at craftinsure. For a £100k boat the difference between residential use on a permanent mooring, Vs CCing, is about £15 per year.

Edited by nicknorman

Under "Home mooring" my policy said something like "continuous cruising on the UK inland waterways" and I don't think it cost significantly more.

If you leave the boat on the towpath for 14 days, while still keeping your home mooring, that should be normal use, and still covered by your policy.

But I can see if you change from one declared home mooring location to another, the insurer may want to be informed and make a charge. Its not clear though whether your £47 is an admin charge for making the change, or whether it is an increased premium because the new mooring is perceived as more risky.

I do have a home mooring which is where the boat is normally kept.

I do not recall seeing any insurance clause including the requirement you state. 

But if you could post the clause it may help.us understand it,

It sounds like you need  a different insurer next time.

No, its an admin charge.   It took 2 minutes to send me new PDF with new mooring detail on it.  So a little unreasonable.   Yes i can understand the risk factor is higher but, i then said i would be shortly moving it to Tattenhall marina for winter and told that would be another £47 admin fee!!!

1 minute ago, Norm55 said:

No, its an admin charge.   It took 2 minutes to send me new PDF with new mooring detail on it.  So a little unreasonable.   Yes i can understand the risk factor is higher but, i then said i would be shortly moving it to Tattenhall marina for winter and told that would be another £47 admin fee!!!

If you are primarily CCing but occasionally choose to go into a marina, this is not something you need to tell your insurers.

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

If you are primarily CCing but occasionally choose to go into a marina, this is not something you need to tell your insurers.

But i am the other way round. Leisure boater who moves marinas / moorings to give me more cruising options .

And its Insure4Boats.   

From Insure4Boats FAQs:

"Where can I moor my boat?

England - Professionally Run Marina, Pontoon, Swing, Trot or Pile."

So no towpath mooring, farmers field, end of garden or boat club mooring is covered. That is such an unreasonable limitation for a narrowboat policy that if that was not made explicitly clear when taking out the policy I would complain to them officially that the policy was mis-sold and ask for the policy to be cancelled and the premium returned.

In addition the term 'Professionally run marina is defined'

image.png.6d7ee63079e8bca8e4dcae5d85e19a54.png

I don't suppose most marinas have controlled access to berths or 24hr manned security (some do) so that would count me out for that particular policy. 

I only had time for a quick look but I don't see where the policy states you can't moor when out on your travels . But if someone does find that please do correct me.

As for leaving the boat moored on the canal while going home a few days I would suggest that should be clarified by insurers. 

13 hours ago, MartynG said:

It sounds like you need  a different insurer next time.

Most narrowboat insurance comes via intermediaries who make a lot of their income from charging fees.  Craftinsure charge a clearly stated £10 for amendments. Insure4boats charge "up to £45".

Policy wordings vary and it is also a good idea to find out the identity and reputation of the actual insurer.

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Policy wordings vary 

They do.

Which is why its important to read the policy wording before buying the insurance.

However most people don't bother to read the policy . All of it should be in plain English.

Some of the exclusions and conditions are perfectly fine with one person but not with another.

I challenged this today and spoke to another " member of the team " . Much more helpful and ecplained uplift was due to higher risk as am now out of marina.  Plus small admin fee.  If i move into marina for winter i will get a £9 refund...admin fee again   but reduction in cost due to more secure mooring 

6 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

I challenged this today and spoke to another " member of the team " . Much more helpful and ecplained uplift was due to higher risk as am now out of marina.  Plus small admin fee.  If i move into marina for winter i will get a £9 refund...admin fee again   but reduction in cost due to more secure mooring 

I have to notify my Insurers when we are lifted out (for Winter etc), and although there is no charge, they 'need' to be aware because of the higher risks associated with being 'on the hard' (falling over in gales, water pipes freezing, etc)

If my policy documents say I am "in the water" and I make a claim because it has "fallen over" it will not be paid.

On 29/09/2023 at 07:58, MartynG said:

In addition the term 'Professionally run marina is defined'

image.png.6d7ee63079e8bca8e4dcae5d85e19a54.png

I don't suppose most marinas have controlled access to berths or 24hr manned security (some do) so that would count me out for that particular policy. 

I only had time for a quick look but I don't see where the policy states you can't moor when out on your travels . But if someone does find that please do correct me.

As for leaving the boat moored on the canal while going home a few days I would suggest that should be clarified by insurers. 

I have not yet seen a marina that has 24hr manned security! V expensive.

Even those that have some form of security gate will leave it open during normal hours to allow customers to enter (not all are boaters) Even when shut they only provide a modicum of deterrence as they are often easily evaded if you are criminally-minded. Not even as secure as a 5 lever lock.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Burton Waters Lincoln does.

The security at Kings Marina (Newark) is by locked gates. Access is only by boaters using an electrobic fob. Anyone else must phone who they are visiting, and the boater must walk uo and open the gates.

Gates / Fence are about 10+ feet high.

The (coastal) Marina we are currently in is 'open' due to a footpath, but has 24 hour security patrols, particularly useful as we are tidal and they adjust the mooring lines as necessary all thru' the day & night.