Address

1stArthur

Featured Posts

Hi I’m thinking of leaving my marina which will save me money. So if I become a continuous cruiser and loose my address how do I manage for winter full payment/ bus pass all those sort of things that get posted to the marina .

Edited by 1stArthur

I used c/o my brothers address for my licence.

I don't qualify for a bus pass (Leeds). The latest energy payment is provided if you are continuous cruiser on your licence, don't forget to change to cc on your licence.

Rules change.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, 1stArthur said:

Hi thanks for reply.

I think you’ll find if your brother qualified for winter full payment and you use the same address there could be problems. 

Is that meant for me?

I use a c/o address, it's a postal address, I don't live there.

I think you will find that the winter fuel payment was paid to continuous cruisers recently. The Govt having promised all households would get  Energy Payments, then discovered not all households lived in bricks and mortar. 

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, 1stArthur said:

Hi I’m thinking of leaving my marina which will save me money. So if I become a continuous cruiser and loose my address how do I manage for winter full payment/ bus pass all those sort of things that get posted to the marina .

Take a look at this discussion about mail holding and forwarding services

8 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Let us know how you got on with your claim, as you said previously they will let you know the end of August. 

The details about your licence and address etc had to be correct on CRT's website by the end of August.

I phoned them yesterday to check on the likely date for the vouchers being sent out. I was told "in the next couple of weeks."

43 minutes ago, Puffling said:

The details about your licence and address etc had to be correct on CRT's website by the end of August.

I phoned them yesterday to check on the likely date for the vouchers being sent out. I was told "in the next couple of weeks."

I thought the cut off date was the end of May and only boaters registered without a home mooring from Feb-31st May were entitled for the money?

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

That may be something  to do with the actual payment to the householder, nothing to do with difficulty in identifying cc householders who also have had payments as bricks and mortar householders(b&mh).

I believe double payments are paid to second home owners, so it would be difficult to argue, in court, that one should be paid (b&mhx2) but not the other (cc+b&mh). There are bound to be difficulties with park homes and various other outliers.

Edited by LadyG

On 06/09/2023 at 07:37, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I thought the cut off date was the end of May and only boaters registered without a home mooring from Feb-31st May were entitled for the money?

Does anyone know their rationale behind that? I don't really understand why it would only apply to CCers?

Or perhaps I've misunderstood?

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Does anyone know their rationale behind that? I don't really understand why it would only apply to CCers?

Or perhaps I've misunderstood?

There has been some confusing (and plainly wrong) information posted here about this.

From the CRT email I received advising me of the payment, the voucher will be sent to...

itinerant boat dwellers who are registered as continuous cruisers and held a Canal & River Trust long-term licence (6 or 12 month), for a minimum of one day, while the Energy Bills Support Alternative Funding scheme was open (27 February 2023 to 31 May 2023).

Your personal information on the CRT website had to be correct before the end of August, as that was when the details would be forwarded to the government department.

ETA: any boaters on a home mooring without residential status won't be eligible. Similarly van dwellers, caravan inhabitants and anyone living somewhere without a postcode will be excluded. The NBTA estimates 700,000 will lose out on EBSS Alternative Funding grants.

Edited by Puffling

4 hours ago, Puffling said:

From the CRT email I received advising me of the payment, the voucher will be sent to...

itinerant boat dwellers who are registered as continuous cruisers and held a Canal & River Trust long-term licence (6 or 12 month), for a minimum of one day, while the Energy Bills Support Alternative Funding scheme was open (27 February 2023 to 31 May 2023).

Your personal information on the CRT website had to be correct before the end of August, as that was when the details would be forwarded to the government department

Even what you wrote seams confusing, they’re saying that it only applies to continuous cruisers who held a licence when the scheme was open 27 Feb-31 May, and obviously declared they never had a home mooring during this time. Then you say all info had to be correct by the end of August. Surely your info had to be correct as of 31st May when the funding scheme was running, not months afterwards? Confusing😂

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

On a sort of related note, I read a very recent comment (elsewhere) that DVLA had refused to accept an address that was given to them by a boater, because the address was derived from a mail handling company (boatmail, expost etc).

Does anyone else have any recent info on whether DVLA have changed stance on this? 

I have read a comment here a few months back that DVLA queried a mail handling address, but eventually accepted it. 

My long term plan is to use Expost, so its going to be a blow if the DVLA won't accept their addresses. 

Edited by Tony1

Just now, MtB said:

Does it not depend on the exact question?

"Where do you live" is somewhat different from "Enter your postal address", or even "Contact Address"

Tbh I last updated my DVLA address to my parents house three years ago, so I can't remember what they ask about addresses.

But whatever the wording of the question, they will be referring to the address that is shown on your license-  i.e. the address that Expost/Boatmail would supply you.. 

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Even what you wrote seams confusing, they’re saying that it only applies to continuous cruisers who held a licence when the scheme was open 27 Feb-31 May, and obviously declared they never had a home mooring during this time. Then you say all info had to be correct by the end of August. Surely your info had to be correct as of 31st May when the funding scheme was running, not months afterwards? Confusing😂

Let's consider this scenario. You sold your boat recently but held a licence as a continuous cruiser until the end of April 2023. You are therefore eligible for the payment. Because you switched from being a continuous cruiser to having a land-based address you needed to have gone on the CRT website and updated your contact details before the end of August. If you still have it as some mail holding address which is no longer valid, you will miss the voucher.

I got my vulture today!

35 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Let's consider this scenario. You sold your boat recently but held a licence as a continuous cruiser until the end of April 2023. You are therefore eligible for the payment. Because you switched from being a continuous cruiser to having a land-based address you needed to have gone on the CRT website and updated your contact details before the end of August. If you still have it as some mail holding address which is no longer valid, you will miss the voucher.

I got my vulture today!

I see that, as long as you were a CCer during that time period Feb-May, with obviously no home mooring. What address did you use friend/family, postal service/PO box? 

7 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I see that, as long as you were a CCer during that time period Feb-May, with obviously no home mooring. What address did you use friend/family, postal service/PO box? 

I used that of a friend, same address as bank account is registered at.