Reset google maps to new location

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I once knew how to do this.

I have been away to Hampshire for a few weeks. Online maps still think that is where we are. But we’re not. We are in Lancashire. How do I give it a nudge please?

You can set your home point from the search menu.

The location will update only if you have location turned on in your browser and may take a while.

We use tablets on the boat in the main. As location works on a GPS connection, it often helps to take the device outside of the boat, thus annulling the Faraday cage that is the boat. Quickly finds our mapping location then.

Find it odd that even with an external aerial on our mifi,it takes physically taking the device out of the confines of the boat, to get the correct location..

But I am a dim technophobe. 

11 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I once knew how to do this.

I have been away to Hampshire for a few weeks. Online maps still think that is where we are. But we’re not. We are in Lancashire. How do I give it a nudge please?

I had the same issue and couldn't figure it out. In the end of turned out that my WiFi on the boat seems to be set at my home mooring even though I'd moved. Once i went outside and got a signal Google maps found my true location. Not sure if this is what's happening with you? Maybe not.

Edited by blackrose

26 minutes ago, johnmck said:

We use tablets on the boat in the main. As location works on a GPS connection, it often helps to take the device outside of the boat, thus annulling the Faraday cage that is the boat. Quickly finds our mapping location then.

Find it odd that even with an external aerial on our mifi,it takes physically taking the device out of the confines of the boat, to get the correct location..

But I am a dim technophobe. 

Your GPS position may be from several sources, phone included, so the Faraday effect is only one . I can often have my modern Samsung phone in correct position, from inside the boat, where it stays most of the time, but the tablet can give me different positions, even when I am stationary, it's not so smart.