Insurance claims in the event of sinking

wandering

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MtB said:

The weed hatch seem highly UNlikely to me given the seals are above the normal waterline.

Could it be that the top of the weedhatch is just above normal water level, so no problem in normal use. But the back end of the boat has taken on more weight - lots of people perhaps or engine bilge filled with rainwater, and that is enough to put the weed hatch just below water level. Not an immediate problem if the seal is good, but if it has a significant leak then more water comes in until there is enough to sink the boat.

That said, a weedhatch that low should have been flagged in any survey or BSS inspection.

Edited by David Mack

I don't think it’s anything to do with a BSS and if the boat was surveyed out of the water like the majority are, how do you inspect the water level?  
 I imagine there may be more older boats with low weed hatch tops once in the water, that the owners think are ok and don't realise the potential risk, especially over-plated boats.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 1

When I have opened the weed hatch in the past, a flood of water has come in which I’ve got rid of with the pump. I assumed this behaviour was typical of an opening so close to the water but I still don’t know for certain this was the cause anyway. Maybe in between checking and setting off, which must have been ten minutes, something happened/developed en route. 

15 minutes ago, wandering said:

When I have opened the weed hatch in the past, a flood of water has come in which I’ve got rid of with the pump. I assumed this behaviour was typical of an opening so close to the water but I still don’t know for certain this was the cause anyway. Maybe in between checking and setting off, which must have been ten minutes, something happened/developed en route. 

No not normal at all.

The water level should not be greater that the top of the hatch.

There is something wrong with the design or the trim of the boat, or both.

Or do you mean water drawn up with the hatch bottom plate? In which case you should let it drain by tilting it before fully withdrawing it.

Edited by M_JG

49 minutes ago, M_JG said:

No not normal at all.

The water level should not be greater that the top of the hatch.

There is something wrong with the design or the trim of the boat, or both.

Or do you mean water drawn up with the hatch bottom plate? In which case you should let it drain by tilting it before fully withdrawing it.

Yeah think that might have been it in hindsight 😅

I thought it was strange that a boat of that age, with a good survey suddenly developed the fault.

I suppose the boat could be unbalanced, maybe ballasting, a full diesel tank and an empty water tank combined with high engine revs?

Will a welder be needed to fix it in the water? Would he be willing to do it in the water?

1 hour ago, wandering said:

Yeah think that might have been it in hindsight 😅

The BSS 'height of weed hatch' is mandatory for commercial and hire boats but is 'advisable' for all leisure boats.

It is given for a reason .................

A weed hatch, if not properly secured, can allow water into the bilges of a boat, which could ultimately cause it to sink. It's advisable for privately owned boats to have a secure and watertight weed hatch which reaches to at least 150mm (6ins) above the waterline, when the boat is loaded up as normal. [10.3]

10b.gif

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The BSS 'height of weed hatch' is mandatory for commercial and hire boats but is 'advisable' for all leisure boats.

A weed hatch, if not properly secured, can allow water into the bilges of a boat, which could ultimately cause it to sink. It's advisable for privately owned boats to have a secure and watertight weed hatch which reaches to at least 150mm (6ins) above the waterline, when the boat is loaded up as normal. [10.3]

10b.gif

I think the clue to why it’s never done with privately owned leisure boats is in your first sentence. Never known a BSS inspection to check a weed hatch.

And as I said with out of water surveys I doubt a surveyor can check it accurately and would put it on a survey report, maybe leaving himself open to legal action, should it fail first time in the water, he may inspect it for fixing/secure and weed tape, but difficult to know exact water level while out.

If the boat was surveyed in the water, I would expect hatch water level to be checked by the Surveyor.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

10b.gif

Im not sure whether the 'hindsight' comment refered to the first part of my post or the second bit which the forum software hid when quoted unless you expand it.

Could water overtop a weed hatch if the boat were driven hard, perhaps in a hurry or against a current.  Even insidiously a bit at a time, enough to reduce the draft sufficient to cause a catastrophic ingress, and sinking? Of course, it would need a failed seal in the first place.

14 minutes ago, Peanut said:

Could water overtop a weed hatch if the boat were driven hard, perhaps in a hurry or against a current.  Even insidiously a bit at a time, enough to reduce the draft sufficient to cause a catastrophic ingress, and sinking? Of course, it would need a failed seal in the first place.

Yes. 

My mother had a 55ft narrow boat and she was once doing Limehouse to Teddington in convoy with another similar boat. 

The other boat's engine started overheating and kindly, but unwisely, she put it alongside and towed it inbound for Teddington. 

Engine revs increased and the dynamics changed. 

My sister was traveling with her on the back deck and went into make a cup of tea. 1ft of water in the boat. 

Scared the word removed out of her. 

PLA assisted and towed both boats to Brentford, bucket and bilge pump to empty it. 

It was the weedhatch which had never caused any problem before. 

Nasty.

Boat dried out and never had any problems after that for several yars of cruising all over. 

13 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes.

I was reminded of a loaded bulk carrier which was lost on the Great Lakes due to a similar cause. A deck hatch had not been dogged down securely, and as each wave passed over the deck, the hatch lifted a little and allowed a small amount of water in. The vessel lost stability, rolled over and was lost with all hands.

The OP had travelled from Liecester to Lincoln and back with no apparent problem, but sunk soon after. His engine bay could have been clear at the outset, but filled during the journey.

Edited by Peanut
grammer