Finishing After significant metal work?

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, James_P said:

Hi all,

First after welding, cutting screwing etc metal work. What do you think is best practice for finishing, for above interior, above the gunnels, below the gunnels (Blacking a given)?

Paint?  Not sure what you are asking.  What is above interior supposed to mean?

1 hour ago, James_P said:

Hi all,

First after welding, cutting screwing etc metal work. What do you think is best practice for finishing, for above interior, above the gunnels, below the gunnels (Blacking a given)?

It's hard to understand what you mean. Post some photos of what needs painting for some constructive suggestions.

I think the OP is referring to the exterior steel coatings, and what might be used on the interior steel, in the way of paint. But I expect sprayed foam might also be included. The inside base steel of boats I've worked on from fabrication were normally coated in blacking. The interior above-baseplate, painted in whatever steel paint is chosen. 

The external, likewise, whatever is budgeted for.  

Sorry if I was not clear,

Basically how to protect the bare metal.

So out side of the hull, under the gunnel, IE liable to be in the canal, what would you do beneath the blacking, prep, other stuff like red oxide, etc.

Above the gunnels the prep before painting in a nice colour, and any recomendation for painting you swear by.

Inside, it's a trad so the inside of the stern, the last owner never finished it an I will probably need put some bracketry in to support the engin enclosure.

20230428_153348.jpg

4 hours ago, James_P said:

Sorry if I was not clear,

Basically how to protect the bare metal.

So out side of the hull, under the gunnel, IE liable to be in the canal, what would you do beneath the blacking, prep, other stuff like red oxide, etc.

Above the gunnels the prep before painting in a nice colour, and any recomendation for painting you swear by.

Inside, it's a trad so the inside of the stern, the last owner never finished it an I will probably need put some bracketry in to support the engin enclosure.

20230428_153348.jpg

is that the same camera used for taking pics of UFO's? :)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Col_T said:

As @Arthur Marshall says, the best paint you can afford, applied to a clean, rust free, grease free surface as soon as possible. Several thin coats is better then one, or two, thick coats as thicker coats take longer to dry through properly, if at all.

I think the main problem getting a smooth , and therefore perfect finish is that one cannot get everything  back down to bare metal without spending a lot if time and money.

Having accepted that it's going to be a good job, not a top job.

The priority, well my priority is to get rid of rust. That means  power sanding if one finds rust.

My gloss highlights have conquered rust, but I could not get rid of uneven surface where paint had flaked. 

After bare steel rust preventer (RP)

After RP, then primer. Now at stage I think a filler primer would fill the surface, so two coats, sanded.

Then your undercoat (s)

Then your topcoat(s)

You will need best masking tape for gloss details, and you may come down to 600 wet and dry .

A lot depends on time and resources. 

6 hours ago, Higgs said:

I think the OP is referring to the exterior steel coatings, and what might be used on the interior steel, in the way of paint. But I expect sprayed foam might also be included. The inside base steel of boats I've worked on from fabrication were normally coated in blacking. The interior above-baseplate, painted in whatever steel paint is chosen. 

The external, likewise, whatever is budgeted for.  

All this "blacking", is this bitumen, I think I'd have to be very short of cash to put this on a clean, non blacked surface. Use two pack epoxy. 

Edited by LadyG