Cleaning out the engine hole and engine

Theo

Featured Posts

I really do need to sort out the horrid state of the engine hole.  The issues as I see them are:

• I had a leaky exhaust pipe which sooted things up a bit.
  • There is lots of frass from the drive belts.
  • The swims need painting scraping and painting

What's the best way to start?

Steam clean?  Will that damage the electrics?

Solvents?  Will they damage plastic bits?

Polluting the cut should not be a problem because I han direct the bilge pump into into a plastic can.

All hints and tips gratefully received.

Nick

My tip would be to take it to someone else to do. Filthy, lousy job. I had one done at Lower Heyford some years ago by a bloke who relished the job. He started with a steam cleaner jobby combined with copious amounts of degreaser ( first ) and a large wet vac. Took him a couple of hours but did a great job whilst I sat in The bell with friends having beer :D

• Greenie 3

Jizer or Hypa Clean sprayed on then brushed with a smallish 1"to 1.5" paintbrush onto a cold engine. Also a similar sized brush taped to a bit of wood to get to awkward places. Soak up any real crud with disposable nappies. A litter picker (and a black sack) are useful here. Hose off sparingly have covered vulnerable electrics. Ideally suck water out with a cheap wet and dry. Alternatively pump out using diverted bilge pump. My experience was that a 20 litre drum will be more than large enough and after settling much of that will be oil free. Follow up with a good wash using washing up liquid.

Old clothes are recommended.    

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Follow up with a good wash using washing up liquid.

Washing up liquid will leave a silicone film behind (it's what makes plates 'squeaky clean'), which will affect the adhesion of the new paint. Use a cleaner which doesn't leave a residue.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Washing up liquid will leave a silicone film behind (it's what makes plates 'squeaky clean'), which will affect the adhesion of the new paint. Use a cleaner which doesn't leave a residue.

Fair comment! I was thinking more from getting rid of the crud.

Washing soda ( in bags/boxes from your local supermarket) is a very effective degreaser.  Mix about half a bag to a couple of pints of really hot water then dilute with cold to about a gallon  once dissolved.

Swab enthusiasticallly.  Dispose down a drain.

N