Manchester Bolton and Bury - CRT plans exclude restoration of canal

StephenA

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, anvilman said:

As it appears to be a joint venture between CRT and the developer, surely any profits should be split equally and CRT share be reinvested into the restoration of the canal?

Welcome, great first post. I don't see the need to keep the profits from this ringfenced to the MB&B, it would be better spent (assuming it makes a profit) elsewhere.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, anvilman said:

As it appears to be a joint venture between CRT and the developer, surely any profits should be split equally and CRT share be reinvested into the restoration of the canal?

Repair\maintain something that is already in use rather than spending on restoring more miles to spread what money there is slightly further.

Thats certainly a good point but if CRT are going to pursue a business model of joint ventures with other potentially vested interests then perhaps rather than diluting profits across the network they should spend the cash in the areas where its generated.

Thanks for the welcome, hopefully i can contribute regularly 👍

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...

The latest restoration plans seem to focus on the Bolton and Bury end for the canal. Whilst it would be useful to have more done at the Salford end, that seems to be not on the agenda at present.

Preservation societies tend to forget the advantages of a link to the network and further restoration there might provide mooring facilities for craft and revenue therefore. Having boats up to this new development could be a benefit therefore.

10 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The latest restoration plans seem to focus on the Bolton and Bury end for the canal. Whilst it would be useful to have more done at the Salford end, that seems to be not on the agenda at present.

Preservation societies tend to forget the advantages of a link to the network and further restoration there might provide mooring facilities for craft and revenue therefore. Having boats up to this new development could be a benefit therefore.

The thing is that this redevelopment is right by the end of currently restored section as Oldfield Road is right by the railway line which is basically where the current restoration ends (Salford Tunnels 1 and 2 )

I would have thought -- and hoped -- the profits would be used to preserve as much as possible of the current badly creaking network, rather than trying to restore canals that have long since been filled in and built over. The fact that CRT owns little pockets of land that used to be canals isn't really relevant. 

Good point, and yes there is much to be said for this opinion, especially as to reach this outpost of the network the Manchester Ship Canal appears to be traversed. 

The MBB canal website also seems unconcerned to mention this development, it would also seem

38 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Good point, and yes there is much to be said for this opinion, especially as to reach this outpost of the network the Manchester Ship Canal appears to be traversed. 

To alleviate that problem, maybe the Manchester & Salford Junction canal should be restored.

• Happy 1

Oh yes that would be useful

When I went up to look at the MBB link at Salford a few years ago when putting together the Amberley Book on North West Canals, I seem to recall a trip boat on this section from the Docks at Salford. Does it still  run along the Irwell?

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile this weekend

Manchester Bolton & Bury Canal

IWA Manchester Branch will be working with Manchester Bolton & Bury Canal Society at Prestolee on Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th September at their regular work site, Prestolee Road, Little Lever, Bolton, BL3 1AD.

Work will include brick laying, scrub bashing and, possibly, installing a memorial bench.

Please head to Prestolee Road, Little Lever, Bolton, BL3 1AD. The best place to park is nearby Boscow Road as there is no parking at the locks.

Aim to start at 10.00. Tools and gloves will be provided but please wear suitable clothing for the work proposed and footwear, with steel toe caps preferably, also don’t forget to bring your lunch and drink(s).

[

On 06/09/2023 at 17:00, Heartland said:

Oh yes that would be useful

On 04/09/2023 at 14:51, buccaneer66 said:

To alleviate that problem, maybe the Manchester & Salford Junction canal should be restored.

When I went up to look at the MBB link at Salford a few years ago when putting together the Amberley Book on North West Canals, I seem to recall a trip boat on this section from the Docks at Salford. Does it still  run along the Irwell?

Yes thats correct it went up to the TV studios if I am correct?
This area was used as part of the site for the IWA festival in 1988. Due to the GFC the massive development which was going to fund the connection to the Irwell did not get built. No problem with boat access to the unfinished area below. It just the connection that needs to be put back in working order.
The next short length is (or was) prime development land thus funds should be available given the right financial climate..

Unfortunately few visit this area so have little idea of the opportunities the MBB has to offer.
I have not been to MBB for a few years but it presents a fabulous development opportunity for an area that desperately need regeneration.

That said CRT seem to have had a deliberate policy of running down the canal environment the most obvious manifestation of this was the demolition of the warehouse at the Prestolee Junction. Claiming it was unsafe in fact all it needed was the rectification of maintenance neglect.image.thumb.jpeg.3b461153f69d534e7a14a8b45cc0d1d9.jpeg

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

Edited by oboat