Honda eu200i genny question

Clodi

Featured Posts

I rather foolishly left some fuel in my Honda eu200i generator for around 6 weeks. I went to use it yesterday & it started, as usual, on the first pull. However after around 30 mins it started 'hunting' then stopped. My immediate thought was that I had forgotten to open the breather on the cap but that wasn't the case. I started it again after checking the breather was working correctly & again it cut out after around 40 mins of operation. I'm pretty sure its fuel and suspect the filter which sits inside the fuel tank outlet. I have a replacement on order at an eyewatering £15 but I want to do away with the factory filter and fit an in-line filter instead.

Has anyone done this? if so can you recommend a small in-line filter? 

Also I notice my genny is not fitted with a spark arrestor, do they not fit them on UK models? I've had it from new a couple of years.

Lastly, I imagine I'm going to have to strip it down and clean the jets but I'm tempted to try a blast of carb-cleaner, is this wise or am I just being lazy?

Honda say it's ok to use the E10 cheaper fuel but I suspect it's false economy

Some fresh fuel should do the trick, if it's been happy running for 40 minutes. I use the premium grade as it doesn't seem to go off as quickly. A quick clean of the plug may be useful too, if it's been running rough. 

I cant see a blast of carb cleaner doing any harm.  I've had mixed results with carb cleaner on the modern plastic carbs fitted to lots of newer small lawnmowers and the like as they typically have very small jets. Can't see that being an issue on a decent Honda.

I always leave fuel in my EU30i generator and never had a problem but I try to start it up and let it run for half an hour every month or so if it's not being used regularly. I switch the fuel cock off while it's running and let it run itself dry until it stalls. That way when I leave it there's no fuel left in the carb to gum up jets, etc. 

Also I use Briggs and Stratton fuel additive which keeps the fuel good for longer.

Screenshot_2023-07-19-22-32-05-794_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Thank's all, I definitely checked the choke situation, in fact when it's 'spluttering' I tried using the choke and kept it running. I've ordered  some Carbcleaner from our local Screwfix which I'll try asap but I'm pretty sure the jets will need cleaning. I have only recently given it a full service, oil-change, filters & spark-plug. Unfortunately I just filled a 5 gallon jerry-can with the cheaper petrol so I've got that to use up. I'm ordering the 'Fuel Fit' now.

• Happy 1