Fitting used Boatman Stove

A A Matthews

Featured Posts

hello all 

would be most grateful for suggestions as to what is suitable for fixing behind  my stove . So I can use the appropriate ceramic tiles cemented on backer board that in tern is fixed to a timber frame with requisite air gap. However are there problems with tile grout cracking ?

I have noted various boards that are cut to size that obviously don’t need grout, tile cutting  etc .

Looking for the most economical solution of course!

Hope to hear 

Andy A

Hi, not sure why you have not had a response, maybe ask admin "report" upper right to move it to Boat Maintenance 

Loads of stove installation advice on here., Try Search function top right.

It may not be easy, nothing ever is!

Edited by LadyG

On 28/04/2023 at 18:31, A A Matthews said:

hello all 

would be most grateful for suggestions as to what is suitable for fixing behind  my stove . So I can use the appropriate ceramic tiles cemented on backer board that in tern is fixed to a timber frame with requisite air gap. However are there problems with tile grout cracking ?

I have noted various boards that are cut to size that obviously don’t need grout, tile cutting  etc .

Hope to hear 

Andy A

I fitted my stove over 10 years ago, tiles onto a calcium silicate board.  Tiles still in place and grout is fine, I didn’t light the stove for a few days to ensure any excess water in the tile adhesive had evaporated, then a gentle fire for the first few hours.

Be careful with the calcium silicate board as it is very brittle and not very strong, but then it is foamed, so mostly ‘air’, and surprisingly expensive.

The OP has received no direct answers because he or she has embedded the answer their question.

"hello all 

would be most grateful for suggestions as to what is suitable for fixing behind  my stove . So I can use the appropriate ceramic tiles cemented on backer board that in tern is fixed to a timber frame with requisite air gap. "

So the answer is broadly yes, use appropriate ceramic tiles cemented or otherwise fixed onto heat resistant backer board fixed to a timber or steel frame with requisite air gap.

Regarding this:

"However are there problems with tile grout cracking ?"

I'd say no not normally, but it's a possibility. 

On 28/04/2023 at 18:31, A A Matthews said:

And these of course, are statements not questions.

11 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What is it you want advice on? Most suitable backing board? Most suitable tiles? Most suitable grout? It is unclear.

yes I think advice/ suggestions/ recommendations on all those questions would be appreciated. Thanks for your input and I have it invaluable in life to seek as many opinions etc so I can then decide what I should do !

The wife went to buy the tiles to go behind our stove, I told her to get ones with straight edges that were smooth, she came back with bumpy ones, round corners and wobbly edges. Of course I fitted them, I know which side my bread is buttered.

Edited by ditchcrawler
spilling
  • Happy 1

I used proper fireplace ceramic tiles, sold for the purpose from here

They also sell heat resistant adhesive and grout. I used ordinary wall tile adhesive and grout. 15 years plus later, they are still fine.

My hearth is 25mm thick slate slab. I made the entire floor in the vicinity of the stove of this, so no problems with escaping embers burning the carpet as you get with the tiny hearths on many boats. It is warm to walk on, once the stove heats up. Remember that for the boat safety scheme, you you have to fix the stove down, so it can't move in the event of a crash, or capsize.

• Happy 1

Yes that’s most helpful.

I have a piece of natural stone for hearth probably 20 mm thick and will probably build a timber frame for hearth to raise it 2/3 4 inches off boat floor .

yes my boatman stove has two holes in the rear brackets for fixing and will probably use coach screws .

3 hours ago, A A Matthews said:

fortunately I don’t have a wife 

Congratulations and well done!

May I make one request though? Could you just use the same font as everyone else please? 

You italics make your posts clumsy to read. 

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, MtB said:

Congratulations and well done!

May I make one request though? Could you just use the same font as everyone else please? 

You italics make your posts clumsy to read. 

Thanks.

Maybe try Specsavers?

@A A Matthews your posts are perfectly legible to people.

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Of course I fitted them, I know which side my bread is buttered.

Shouldn't you butter your own bread?! 

Then you can butter it on the correct side...