Solar Panels Installation Planning

Featured Posts

We are planning to have a gap year cruising around the canal network in a couple of years time, we have both finished our careers and will be moving to the coast after a few adventures, we have just one more child to see off to Uni.

That planning stage is now to the point of adding solar panels to the roof, I have made a few selections based of months of research and asking questions and I have started documenting the plan on the blog, at the moment we have looked at size and positioning 

https://floydtilla.co.uk/2023/03/13/planning-for-solar-panels-part-1/

Then how to mount them

https://floydtilla.co.uk/2023/03/25/planning-for-solar-panels-part-2-panel-mounting-options/

then types of panels

https://floydtilla.co.uk/2023/04/02/planning-for-solar-panels-part-3-types-of-panels/

There will be more to come over the next few months while we sort out all the other parts, but I am open to idea/options as we plan this install, please let me know what you think, what tricks I have missed that should be included.

Thanks

David 

Hello David

Interesting read!  :)

Have you considered magnetic mounts for your panels?  This would also insulate them as you discussed as they tend to be on a rubber section - I've not personally heard of Galvanic corrosion above the waterline but stand to be corrected. I'd fit as many panels as you can and your budget can take - maybe smaller ones strategically placed if you still need to walk on the roof although the smaller the panel the less cost effective it is...

We have 800w of flat mounted solar and since fitting in January this year have not needed to use the shoreline battery charger.

That is a new idea to me using magnetic mounts, I will see what I can find, not sure if they would be strong enough to for tilted panels.

Good to hear 800w of flat mounted was enough, what output did you get in winter from these?

Thanks

David

23 minutes ago, David Floyd said:

That is a new idea to me using magnetic mounts, I will see what I can find, not sure if they would be strong enough to for tilted panels.

Good to hear 800w of flat mounted was enough, what output did you get in winter from these?

Thanks

David

I'd only use magnets for flat panels. Don't recall actual output but just know the batteries were usually charged by about 11am. We are pretty much all 12v though - no inverter etc... all depends on your usage..

I was looking for a flat/tilting panel system when I installed mine last November but didn't find the Midsummer system. It looks good, but I'm not sure if it would have been big enough for my panels (about 2.1m x 1m each). I ended up making my own tilting system. They can be tilted either way.

I found that around the time the clocks went forward the sun was high enough in the sky to leave them flat all day.

I agree with the others about only using mag mounts for flat panels. I don't tilt mind if it's too windy. They're like sails!

IMG_20230212_205434.jpg

IMG_20230212_144904.jpg

IMG_20230212_144658.jpg

Edited by blackrose

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I was looking for a flat/tilting panel system when I installed mine last November but didn't find the Midsummer system. It looks good, but I'm not sure if it would have been big enough for my panels (about 2.1m x 1m each). I ended up making my own tilting system. They can be tilted either way.

I found that around the time the clocks went forward the sun was high enough in the sky to leave them flat all day.

That looks like a very cool tilting system, very impressive, Midsummer will make them to the size I need but I will make sure they do what I need before hand.

Thanks

David 

Having installed those mounts, they are over engineered, a pain to install, and you will receive no more benefit than normal tilting mounts unless permanently moored on an East-West mooring in the months of Nov, Dec and Jan. 

I have found flat mount panels by far the best solution for people actually cruising most of the time, tilting on pyramid mounts for those CCing with a 14 day regime.

From April- September flat mounts are best, unless you want to be anal about constantly going out every 2 hours and changing tilt angles...looking at your blog, this may appeal.

🙂

Most members on this forum discuss things on this forum, and dont try to drive traffic to their blogs like you do. I will not be visiting it again, which might be your loss as I know quite a lot about ex Black Prince boats.

• Greenie 1

I think it's worth paying for that midsummer mounting system. It looks good. I'd have bought it if I'd seen it but I'm happy with what I came up with. The panels are secured by/hinge on stainless quick release pins with ball bearings in the ends.

Since I took those photos I've fitted a locks to the centre of each panel on both sides for use when the panels are flat, so that some scrote can't simply pull the quick release pins out and walk away with the panels!

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Having installed those mounts, they are over engineered, a pain to install, and you will receive no more benefit than normal tilting mounts unless permanently moored on an East-West mooring in the months of Nov, Dec and Jan. 

What are normal tilting mounts Matty?

Edit: If you mean those triangular mounts then surely one benefit of the Midsummer system is that the panels and mounts can go flat. One of my neighbours fitted those triangular mounts on his boat and now it won't go under Barnwell bridge! If it was a bridge 50 miles away it wouldn't be such an issue but it's the next bridge downstream! 🤣

Edited by blackrose

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I think it's worth paying for that midsummer mounting system. It looks good. I'd have bought it if I'd seen it but I'm happy with what I came up with. The panels are secured by/hinge on stainless quick release pins with ball bearings in the ends.

Since I took those photos I've fitted a locks to the centre of each panel on both sides for use when the panels are flat, so that some scrote can't simply pull the quick release pins out and walk away with the panels!

What are normal tilting mounts Matty?

The triangular mounts with bevel locking handles. You can get about 45° with panels your size, and about 30° with larger domestic sizes panels.

To be honest, yours look easier to work and neater than the midsummer mounts,  I have fitted 2 sets for customers, and they are a lot of faffing about for the same result....along with being quite high off the roof.

I'm really only adding to what others have said, but the headline here is to get as much solar as you can on first install. I went for 885W (3 x 295) wired in series and don't regret it. In fact I reckon it's the best £850 investment yet made on my boat.

Fitted in July last year, it's kept my batteries charged right through the winter. I don't run a fridge but for lights and batteries in phone,  tablet, laptop etc. the flat-mounted panels have proved themselves capable. Running my 200W Makita sander from the inverter for half an hour needed about 5 minutes to recover the charge in October using solar. Never needed the generator or engine to charge once, and I don't move every day in winter.

The Midsummer mounts are a clever design, but when I examined them it appeared that each has at least a 25mm protrusion on each side, which would have meant the space between my mushroom vents wouldn't have accommodated the three panels I chose. So I went for simple neodymium magnets on Screwfix angle brackets.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

! 🤣

I like your mounts more than the Midsummer ones for reasons given above by others.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, MrFish said:

It's been there for years, and is fine for predicting raw solar panel yield.

If you want to see how this actually works on a boat with a given size battery and power budget, go to here and select the "off-grid" option -- you need to enter location before it will show any results:

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#api_5.2

6 hours ago, MrFish said:

Thanks, I had missed that on the site, I will take a look and test a few configuration out.

David