The first day of looking at boats after three months of looking on the interweb. Wilton and Rugby boats.

madder do ee

Featured Posts

Moved on to Wagtail on Good Friday! Rugby boat sales were amazing and I'm so glad I followed my instinct as a total noob to play it safe.

I love this boat!

Currently moored in Blisworth, Intending to go through the Blisworth tunnel on Thursday. any advice would be much appreciated.

Wagtail 2023-04-10 at 19.32.01.jpeg

wagtail 2023-04-10 at 19.31.56.jpeg

The previous owner has also been amazing, had a two-hour handover, an incredible amount of paperwork, Waytail has been well looked after and I intend to do the same.

Wagtail-2023-04-10 at 19.31.56.jpeg

• Greenie 3

28 minutes ago, madder do ee said:

Currently moored in Blisworth, Intending to go through the Blisworth tunnel on Thursday. any advice would be much appreciated.

Stick a brolly up, and keep it up for at least the first half of the tunnel, until after the new bit ends. It is currently water falling at the northern end, southern end not so bad. Being on the right hand side going through, you have the planks and chain to keep you away from the side, and your chimney is safe as it's on the port side.

Stick to the middle until you near any boat, and then slow down, and drift to the RHS.

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Stick a brolly up, and keep it up for at least the first half of the tunnel, until after the new bit ends. It is currently water falling at the northern end, southern end not so bad. Being on the right hand side going through, you have the planks and chain to keep you away from the side, and your chimney is safe as it's on the port side.

Stick to the middle until you near any boat, and then slow down, and drift to the RHS.

But when passing don't throttle back totally and certainly don't stop as you'll get drawn off the wall into the oncoming boat. I had two boats do this in Wast Hill tunnel last Friday. A lot of folk are far too cautious when passing in a tunnel. Just proceed slowly in forward gear steering toward the wall to keep the bow tucked in. You'll naturally drift away from the wall once past.

I'd say Blisworth is the straightest of all the long tunnels.

Personally I wouldn't be seen dead doing a Steve McClaren impression on the back of a boat, even in a tunnel.

ETA - Obvs that's not advice for Matty who may have steered through a tunnel or two in his time.

Edited by Captain Pegg

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Personally I wouldn't be seen dead doing a Steve McClaren impression on the back of a boat, even in a tunnel.

ETA - Obvs that's not advice for Matty who may have steered through a tunnel or two in his time.

For those who are too young or fading memories...

image.png.85c02aef9fe123b5f00a1ee06834e354.png

1 hour ago, Markinaboat said:

Congrats! 

Seconded. Congrats from me too!! 

You might want to change that diesel stove for a solid fuel one before next winter (guessing from that over-complicated-looking chimberley!)

• Love 1