Moving down south (Yorkshire to London)

RichCraft

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, RichCraft said:

It is a widebeam and measures 58x11ft not 12ft as I originally stated. 

Ah right.

Advice being given on here is usually given in good faith based on information originally provided.

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

^^^ (howardanguish)

It's good when someone who really knows what they are talking about puts a comment on a thread like this. 

Time for you to step away from the keyboard, make a cup of hot chocolate and go to bo bo's.

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

Time for you to step away from the keyboard, make a cup of hot chocolate and go to bo bo's.

Did you notice what happened here? 

Maybe it has gone straight over your head. I wouldn't be surprised. 

Just now, magnetman said:

Did you notice what happened here? 

Maybe it has gone straight over your head. I wouldn't be surprised. 

Just go to bed Andrew, you are too clever for us minions.

4 minutes ago, RichCraft said:

Howard, you are right I don’t have the experience, thanks for commenting, I really appreciate everyone’s suggestions and insights though, it’s really helpful to absorb everyone’s knowledge here. 

There are not many who would have. It would be a dangerous and frankly stupid route to take. But then given who suggested it this is no real surprise.

You still don't get it do you. 

Also it helps if you actually read my posts rather than making assumptions. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Plenty of boats have done the east coast run. I wouldn't fancy it but it is doable with the right people in charge and a sound and well constructed boat. 

RCD category is important. 

I'd move it by road but it will be quite expensive as it is over the width limit. 

Ray Bowern is the man for this job. 

https://bargemovers.com/contact

Assuming he has not retired that is. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

You still don't get it do you. 

Also it helps if you actually read my posts rather than making assumptions. 

I read your posts Andrew.

The very suggestion that you made about the 'east coast route' was just utter nonsense.

Just now, M_JG said:

I read your posts Andrew.

The very suggestion that you made about the 'east coast route' was just utter nonsense.

It wasn't. You don't seem to understand why I put that in my comment. 

Are you one of these people who drives about in a car completely oblivious to the fact there are other people using the road ? 

55 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Id try either Tuckeys (http://www.mjtcranes.co.uk/transport/tuckeys/ ) or Ray Bowern (www.bargemovers.com).

If you are going to swing your boat about in the air and then send it down a road at high speed you may as well get someone who is guaranteed to be good at it 😀

I agree. I've used Tuckeys several times.

Not only do you need someone good at it, but Tuckeys know all the boatyards and the staff and have the resilience to get the job done whatever the hurdle. Hard to put a price on doing it right first time and on time, always, but I'm happy to pay it. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

It wasn't. You don't seem to understand why I put that in my comment. 

Are you one of these people who drives about in a car completely oblivious to the fact there are other people using the road ? 

No.

Your comparison is frankly stupid.

If I encounter a stupid person on the road I take avoiding action.

When I encounter a person like you on the internet I call them out.

As stupid. You should know this by now.

2 minutes ago, RichCraft said:

Hey guys, please don’t need to have this disagreement, I’ve found both your support really helpful. New here and looking for help, you’ve both been able to do that for me.

When you have been here a while you will understand.

6 minutes ago, RichCraft said:

Hey guys, please don’t need to have this disagreement, I’ve found both your support really helpful. New here and looking for help, you’ve both been able to do that for me.

Don't worry. 

Botany Bay on the Leeds and Liverpool have a big crane and can get a truck in.. not sure how much they can lift but worth looking at. 

Down this end it would probably be P&S marine at Watford then you have a nice leisurely cruise down the southern grand Union into west London. 

38 minutes ago, LadyG said:

OP could consider selling the boat up North and buying another nearer London, it's a very big boat if he is thinking about cruising, and marinas are bound to be more expensive, might be time to downsize!

58x11 is no problem for cruising about in London. It's the ideal size actually as it doesn't get close to the maximum dimensions of locks or bridges. 

Quite awkward to find moorings in some places but out west there is a lot of room. If Putney is the area of interest then worth keeping an eye on moorings at Brentford. Not cheap but quite handy for Putney. 

Watersidemoorings.com there are some other providers around there as well. 

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I just hope the OP has got an idea of the price of mooring in the area he wants, especially as he seems to want to live aboard. I suspect he may have to settle for a longish commute.

I think the last 'residential' mooring I saw at auction made £15,000 (thats the annual rent - not the purchase of the mooring !)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

About ten grand for Engineers wharf which is in the middle of nowhere in the Paddington arm. Brentford probably a bit more. 

Brentford would be the best place for access to Putney. 

Possibility of moorings on the tidal Thames but awkward to find a good one. 

There are some CRT online moorings places like Uxbridge which will be a lot cheaper than a residential mooring. 

Other options possibly available further up above Teddington on the Thames. 

A proper residential mooring is not cheap anywhere around there.