Stove Service / Repair

SLC

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

How about the bin bag on the windows behind the flue, but the reason I copied it was the stove door

Not sure you will be able to access the front doors once the Xmas tree has its bag removed. Also trying to imagine how many needles will drop off the tree because of it being so close to the fire. 

On facebook there is a public group called "log burner chat". Some of the postings and pictures are frightening. 

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

How about the bin bag on the windows behind the flue, but the reason I copied it was the stove door

I know. There were so many things in the photo which could lead to a massive fire. It all looked even worse when he unwrapped and decorated the tree. Not sure if it was secured upright but it wouldn't have far to fall sideways to land on top of the fire. He didn't seem to appreciate the comments on FB  about the fire risk and sounded like a candidate for a Darwin award. 

• Horror 1

(reminded to ask by the bin bags)

I have a stove in the same place, and curtains across the front windows. There when I bought the boat; the surveyor reasonably pointed them out as a fire hazard.

I make sure to slide them over to the far side of the boat when burning wood, but tbh with a low coal fire overnight I shut them fully including the window near the flue.

Since that's pretty dubious and it's a common stove location, what's the correct practice? Curtains or shutters made of some non-flammable material? Heat shield between the stove/flue and window? Just leave the window clear? (last one not ideal because that would let both light and the gaze of passers-by into my bedroom!)

1 hour ago, Francis Herne said:

Since that's pretty dubious and it's a common stove location, what's the correct practice? Curtains or shutters made of some non-flammable material? Heat shield between the stove/flue and window? Just leave the window clear? (last one not ideal because that would let both light and the gaze of passers-by into my bedroom!)

The sensible practice is not to site the stove so close to the windows in the first place. That way the question of potentially setting light to the curtains never arises.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

The sensible practice is not to site the stove so close to the windows in the first place. That way the question of potentially setting light to the curtains never arises.

Were I choosing the stove's location it would be near the middle of the boat and nowhere near the end windows. It might move there next time the flue pipe needs replacing, or if I ever succumb to temptation and buy a stove with an oven.

In the meantime I see a lot of boats with the chimney in that front corner and very few of them are on fire!

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all those who replied. Earlier, Alias suggested Colin Rowe of C B Boats and I am pleased to say he did an excellent job and we are delighted with his work. Another recommendation from us.

• Greenie 2