Shevington Tunnel Canal

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

At the  moment I'm updating the canalmaponline map for the Leeds & Liverpool and have reached the Shevington Tunnel Canal at Crooke marina, I can see on old maps tunnels leading off from it does anyone have more info about this canal, I assume it was feeding collieries.

JCrooke is right on the edge of the Orrel coalfield.  I think the tunnel had two purposes: one to drain the mines  and secondly to take the coal to market.  I cannot at the moment find my copy of a  book about the Orrel coalfield, by D Anderson but I think it has a chapter on the Douglas valley pits and the early Navigation.

The Orrel coalfield was worked out quite early (by about 1850)  so it is no surprise that the tunnel closed before the end o the 19th century.

N

• Greenie 1

I did try to find details in the NCB records, but the plans were difficult to interpret. From them, I suspect that there was a short tunnel to the top of a shaft down to the seams, and that there may have been a further underground canal at the bottom of the shaft. The attached are the only records I have found, and are in the Standish family papers at Wigan Record Office. The first letter may be about land used for the Lancaster Canal at Borwick. I also have some notes, possibly from Geoff Wheat, which suggest the arm was opened in 1798. Another source suggests that the tunnel was about a quarter of a mile in length to Taylor Pit and was suitable for narrow boats. The best source is the 1957 lecture note, though the photo must postdate the closure of the tunnel and is possibly somewhere in the BCN.

Colliery notes 1.jpg

Crooke.jpg

D D ST C11 1 1, re Crooke.pdf

• Greenie 1

The railway down to Crook seems to have been built around 1890. The 1887 canal company plan below does not show it, but does show stop gates on the arm. It does appear on the 1892 25 inch, but not on the 1843 6 inch which the L&LC used in 1902 to record coal workings under the canal. There were four sheets used for the Wigan area, with each sheet recording several seams. The one here records the Pemberton Coal. Note the fault lines, one of which is almost directly under Crook Lock, which closed around the time when Pagefield opened in 1904.

1887 Crook 8.jpg

1902 Wigan 4.jpg

• Greenie 1

The image of the legging If I recall is Dudley Canal Tunnel

The Industrial Railway Record had an article on the railway to Crook 

The Wigan Coal & Iron Co operated John Pit at Standish which had locos 

Also the 1855 Mineral Statistics lists several pits owned ny John Taylor .

Edited by Heartland

The earlier 25 in OS https://maps.nls.uk/view/126521219 does not show the 'junction', which may be a tramroad. The best source for tramway/railway details is probably Jim Peden's book on Industrial Railways, Wigan West. I can't really see it being a tramroad, as the railway from John Pit seems to pre-date it. In 1863 there were only 10,000 of coal delivered from Crook, and it was the c1890 railway and the development of John Pit which radically increased this tonnage.

If you are including basons, there were two on the off side below Dean serving a clay field. You can't see much today, but a couple of boats were sunk there.

Comparing the nls maps, there does seem to be some sort of trackway up to Shevington, but it not shown on any as a tramroad. However, there were no OS editions for the second half of the 19th century for the area, and that was a particularly important period for mining here. I did find that they now have the 1840s 50 inch survey for Wigan town centre, which is well worth looking at, as there are several canal arms shown, particularly next to railway crossings. The one next to the LNWR main line was built by Hargreaves, who was a major rival to Pickfords in the northwest of England, and who operated several of the local railways around Wigan.

On the Douglas Navigation terminus, where the warehouses now stand, I have not been able to discover how it was connected to the river. It may have run in a straight line from Miry Lane Ends to the river. When the canal was connected to it, circa 1780, the bend at Seven Stars marks the location where the new canal met the old navigation. Originally there was a swing bridge here, with the bend being eased to the south when the present bridge was built

The notes on the tramways are useful snippet of information, but do no mention the tramway from Old Shevington Colliery owned by George Gaskell and John Benson which was offered for sale September 23rd, 1834, This went to Gathurst Bridge (west of Crooke) wharf and they also mentioned in the sale a "long coal boat" what could this term mean ?

The 1892/95 6in os on the nls site suggests it went a bit further. There were rapid alterations related to collieries in this area, so tramroads may only have worked for a few years. I suspect this one ended on the tunnel branch so they did not need permission from the L&LCCo. Records are a bit sparse as the canal from Parbold to Wigan was built under the Douglas Navigation Act, rather than the L&LC Act. The Douglas had to be kept separate in the accounts until the last share was purchased in 1893.

Screenshot 2022-10-25 at 19.49.14.png