Best alternator setup with lithiums?

Jay88

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

As an engineer I think I am morally offended by B2Bs because they are so horrendously inefficient. But just ignore me!

They use them on modern campervans  they are so slow! I have a BI VSR rated at 140 amps with big cables makes for quicker charging, plus the solar tops up the main battery as well 

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

All very good but sorry I’m going to be an a…hole and say that all this is beating around the problem. The solution is proper alternator /charge control.
We have been pootling around Tamworth this last few days, not really cruising because Jeff has a deadline to meet on his OU MA and has been glued to his Mac. So unusually, we are charging the battery whilst tied up. This is a screenshot from today.

IMG_1603.png.0de4ad337e83f642a56899b06bc45ae7.png

standing by to receive incoming hate…

No hate from me at all- I would absolutely love to have that sort of setup, and Ed Shiers strongly recommended it.

I see it as the Rolls Royce solution for engine charging of lithium batteries.

The problem was I had acted rashly before I got Ed's advice, and I had gone too far down the road of buying and installing the B2Bs- and when you add in that the canaline 38 needs a crank upgrade to use a big alternator, and there was also a slight question mark over whether the supplier had the correct kit for my model year, I had to very reluctantly give up on the idea.

To his enormous credit, Ed was willing to do the work at a discount, and to give me the parts at basically cost price, because he wanted to see me get the best solution, but with great regret I decided I just couldn't justify the cost of the upgrade, after what I'd already spent.

That's why I always advise people who ask about charging systems to make sure they get (or at least can fit) a big alternator, and to be aware that the popular canaline 38 has this major limitation in terms of upgrading the alternator. 

But for people operating on a budget, and who have a modest engine like the canaline 38 that isn't really set up to drive big alternators, I think a pair of B2Bs can represent a decent solution, giving a reasonable 60 amp charge (which the engine is happy with). 

Some of those alternator controllers are £400, £500, £600 and more, and for most people there will be a fitting fee as well- plus the cost of good quality alternator at £250-£350, and problably more.

Sometimes the money just isnt there to get the rolls royce solution.

• Greenie 3

13 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

No hate from me at all- I would absolutely love to have that sort of setup, and Ed Shiers strongly recommended it.

I see it as the Rolls Royce solution for engine charging of lithium batteries.

The problem was I had acted rashly before I got Ed's advice, and I had gone too far down the road of buying and installing the B2Bs- and when you add in that the canaline 38 needs a crank upgrade to use a big alternator, and there was also a slight question mark over whether the supplier had the correct kit for my model year, I had to very reluctantly give up on the idea.

To his enormous credit, Ed was willing to do the work at a discount, and to give me the parts at basically cost price, because he wanted to see me get the best solution, but with great regret I decided I just couldn't justify the cost of the upgrade, after what I'd already spent.

That's why I always advise people who ask about charging systems to make sure they get (or at least can fit) a big alternator, and to be aware that the popular canaline 38 has this major limitation in terms of upgrading the alternator. 

But for people operating on a budget, and who have a modest engine like the canaline 38 that isn't really set up to drive big alternators, I think a pair of B2Bs can represent a decent solution, giving a reasonable 60 amp charge (which the engine is happy with). 

Some of those alternator controllers are £400, £500, £600 and more, and for most people there will be a fitting fee as well- plus the cost of good quality alternator at £250-£350, and problably more.

Sometimes the money just isnt there to get the rolls royce solution.

yes I get all that, totally understandable. I suppose it makes me think that when we have people coming on here asking about whether this or that boat might be a suitable purchase, the engine and its inherent charging capability is rarely or never mentioned. And yet once the boat is purchased, keeping the batteries charged becomes a major issue. Which is a shame when there are so many Beta 43s around which have huge charging potential, especially if they have a travelpower.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

As an engineer I think I am morally offended by B2Bs because they are so horrendously inefficient. But just ignore me!

I tend to agree, but mine blows the "waste" heat straight onto my knees.  Which isn't efficient at all, but lovely when steering at this time of year!

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

All very good but sorry I’m going to be an a…hole and say that all this is beating around the problem. The solution is proper alternator /charge control.
We have been pootling around Tamworth this last few days, not really cruising because Jeff has a deadline to meet on his OU MA and has been glued to his Mac. So unusually, we are charging the battery whilst tied up. This is a screenshot from today.

IMG_1603.png.0de4ad337e83f642a56899b06bc45ae7.png

An hour 45 to fully charged. Not that we need to fully charge. Standing by to receive incoming hate…

That looks like a Victron display, I recognise the nasty shade of blue 😀 I thought your boat was all Mastervolt (plus your own stuff) ???

13 minutes ago, dmr said:

That looks like a Victron display, I recognise the nasty shade of blue 😀 I thought your boat was all Mastervolt (plus your own stuff) ???

No it’s a mishmash of stuff. That’s the BMV712 which feeds SoC to my BMS and alternator controller. And of course has a handy Bluetooth App. The Mastershunt is the backup source of SoC, but because you can write a new SoC to the BMV, but not to the Mastershunt, I chose to prioritise the former. Even though in the event I never implemented an algorithm to eliminate the cumulative integration errors of the BMV - it was simpler just to fully charge every month or so! And the Mastervolt Combi is controlled from the BMS. It’s quite simple really. I think.