Any recommendations for Cheshire/ Shroppie marina winter mooring.

Leemc

Featured Posts

Evening all,

Currently on Shroppie near Nantwich and it doesn't look like we will be getting back to the Macclesfield this winter. 

Would like a winter marina mooring if possible. Before I fire off a few emails, does anyone have any places they would recommend?

Cheers in advance

I spent nearly 4 months at Swanley Bridge in the winter of 2020/2021, and I must say the staff there were really nice and helpful.

There is a water outlet within a few feet of each boat, and each boat has a handy electrical hookup, and they sell coal and gas.

Its a lovely location too, and within cycling distance of Nantwich. 

There isnt a clubhouse or cafe/bar as with many posh marinas, so the social mixing is not as frequent, but that suits some people anyway.

I must say I enjoyed staying there over the winter, and I was sorry to leave, but of course I'm not a marina dweller- I was there to get some work done and it ended up dragging out for months.

Tattenhall also seemed a nice place as well when I visited- the staff seemed very nice, and they have a nice cafe and bar with social events if that's your thing, although the chandlery items available seemed very limited. 

Only issue for me with Tattenhall is there's not much around- the village of Tattenhall itself has one useful shop, so if you stay there you'll want a car really, or else be ok with regular 40 minute bus trips up to chester. 

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Leemc said:

Evening all,

Currently on Shroppie near Nantwich and it doesn't look like we will be getting back to the Macclesfield this winter. 

Would like a winter marina mooring if possible. Before I fire off a few emails, does anyone have any places they would recommend?

Cheers in advance

@Tony1 has mentioned possible limitations, depending on your circumstances. What constraints are you under? How close do you need to be to food shops? Walking distance, cycling distance, useable bus service, or will you have a car/motorbike available? Pub/club house/social stuff of interest, or not? Maintenance and engineering support on site required? Water/elsan/pumpout/gas/coal/diesel on site? The later could be a problem, if you are relying on fuel boats and we get a big freeze, so having them on site is useful. Some ideas on these may spark more suggestions from folk who know the Shroppie well. Unfortunately, I can't help. Never stayed at a Marina there and only dropped in to one for some chandlery stuff some years ago.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

Slightly lateral one but some boat clubs have Winter moorings available, as some of their fibreglass boats come out onto hard storage over Winter. No idea if the NBCYC  at Nantwich do that though there is a date for craning out on their website so could be worth a call. Not sure of other boat clubs round that area but its worth a try perhaps?   

I’d recommend Swanley too. I think it was January 2018 when I dumped my boat there for a month or so. 
They were friendly, we’ll priced and have all the facilities you could want. 
There’s even nice big containers for old engine oil. 

I was able to park my van and unload pretty much straight on to the boat. 👍

I’m guessing you’re leaving it there, while going back home, with the occasional visit?

If so the Llangollen is nice and quiet in the winter months, so a quick cruise is always an option.