Is it just us that complains about volunteer lock keepers

nicknorman

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Shocked I am. How about all those weeks we spent together at clowning college? How about the fortnight we spent together on the Rochdale summit. My heart is broken.

Shush, don't give soft southern posh boaters ammunition. At least swmbo doesn't read this forum . Can't wait for you to pull my nose again. 

💖 😉

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, pearley said:

We have volunteers at some of the locks on the Great Ouse on summer weekends. Always happy to see them as with very short landing stages and/or wet ladders it's means Jeannette doesn't need to get off the boat.

I always get off the boat in locks. If something goes wrong, the last place you want to be is on the boat, you are totally helpless and unable to do anything about any problem developing.

• Greenie 1

• 4 months later...

Just to show a different side, this from a blog I was reading today, NB Bonjour: The lovely Tardebigge flight (stillchuffed.blogspot.com)

Most of the locks empty themselves overnight so we would have to turn them whether we started first or followed another boat down, but we didn’t want to wait for a boat to come up first – there may not have been one!  I took last night’s chicken bones along to the skip before we left, and met the lady from the hire boat we had followed yesterday, which was moored above the top lock.  They looked nearly ready to leave, though they said they weren’t in a rush as they had contacted CRT and asked for volunteers to help them down.