Window height ?

Bojangles

Featured Posts

Hi Bojangles.

I think Denis is right --- there is no 'standard' -- typical maybe. We had our shell delivered without apertures cut, precisely because we wanted to take a bit of time tinkering with the layout and working out exactly where we wanted windows and how big, etc. My son has commented a number of times that at Liverpool Boats they must have someone quite short on window fitting, as a number of their boats seem to have the windows markedly lower down than is typical. If you have a look, you'll see he has a point ! I'd go with exactly what suits you.

Mike.

Yes few people pay enough attention to window positions when planning a boat, fewer longer windows look better than the so-called 'standard' ones, try also to find an alternative supplier, you don't really want your boat to look identical to all the others, there are dozens of manufacturers out there who supply for motor homes, horse boxes, and they will make them to your design and size.. I for example used units of 36" x 21" with sliding windows.

Another tip: Alternate the widow positions side to side, it looks much better avoiding that see-through effect, cuts out the dark corners too.. And you may need fewer than you may think.

If anyone wishes to borrow my original window plans, they would be welcome, just the price of return postage.

Edited by John Orentas

.................................... I for example used units of 36" x 21" with sliding windows.

Another tip: Alternate the widow positions side to side, it looks much better avoiding that see-through effect, cuts out the dark corners too.. And you may need fewer than you may think.

If anyone wishes to borrow my original window plans, they would be welcome, just the price of return postage.

Thankyou John,

The tip of alternating the window positions is a great idea - I'm going to do that.

This is the window supplier I'll probably be using Click here

I plan to use a hopper with slider over the galley sink - easy to feed the ducks and groundbait the fish etc. :wub:

I think I'll go for the hidden fixings with black powder coating. With maroon cabin sides and cream panel lines I think they'll give me that 'bit different ' look and possibly smarter than the normal gold finish.

If I get a problem I'll PM you for a copy of your plans - thankyou.

A less obvious consideration and way less important, but worth a thought..........how will your intended paint job fit around your ideal windows, some paint jobs look really cramped when 'coach lines' run too close to windows or windows fit too close to the deckhead............trivial, yes. :) but if you try to think of everything now............. :wub:

A less obvious consideration and way less important, but worth a thought..........how will your intended paint job fit around your ideal windows, some paint jobs look really cramped when 'coach lines' run too close to windows or windows fit too close to the deckhead............trivial, yes. :) but if you try to think of everything now............. :wub:

Thanks for the thought there.

Hopefully this afternoon, I'm going to try drawing to scale the side views to get an idea of the look.

Cheers

We went for a mix of oppossing windows and not.

- The back and front cabin both have a pair of fairly standard size, if a little longer, hoppertop windows, facing each other.

- Then in the main room we have a pair of smaller (taller than they are wide) hoppertops, staggered, in the kitchen area.

- And then in the living/dining room we have the biggest pair of windows in the boat, facing each other, with sliding openings.

- And then a single, small frosted, hoppertop in the bathroom, and 8inch port holes in the engine room.

We also have two large houdni hatches in the living area and engine room, and a six-light pigeon box over the cooker...

This gives plenty of light and ventilation at all times.

- The hopper tops are left open basically all of every day of the year regardless of weather, and who if anyone is on the boat

- The real exception being if you are onboard heating the boat, and its particalarly windy. In which case some windward ones get closed.

- But then you also get the 'practically outside' feel in the living space with both of the sliding windows and the roof hatch wide open.

Only thing i would/might do diffrently in the furture would be to make one or other of the rear cabin windows sliding. As the heat from the engineroom (which is a lot, on a steamboat) which also cuts it off from the rest of the cabin, makes it very warm in summer.

- I also plan to take an angle grinder to the pigeon box and replace it with another 24" brass hatch as soon as i get around to it!

emilyanne%20at%20tarleton.jpg

- The other side looks very much the same as that, bar the exact possition of the smaller window, and the additional bathroom window which is roughly where the side hatch in that photo is, on the other side.

Thats actaully another point as well.

- We have two side hatches, one on each side, one at each end of the living space. With the other one being opersite the castle on the photo.

- This means you always get a good though draught in summer, and always have a side hatch on each side as well. Then we have the front hatch. With the main way in being at the rear.

Daniel

If anything is standard on a narrowboat I would say that 36Wx21H is the typical window. A friend has 36 x 24 so that the bottom of the windows are lower - he says it's because his wife is a shortar*e!

18Wx21H would be typical for the bathroom. Side doors are usually 24" wide or there abouts.

Edited by dor