Pedants' Corner

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Ogwr said:

His middle button on his jacket is undone>

29 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Is there a both missing ?

Both mysterious and mystical

Mind you his method is questionable and he is probably not the best mentor in this case

Mmm

A long way from Z Cars

The answer has already been given earlier in the thread.

See Post No 15.

And to swerve sharply off topic, why have post numbers in threads been taken away? We used to have them and they were very useful when referring to previous posts, simply and easily. 

Can we have them back please?

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

The answer has already been given earlier in the thread.

See Post No 15.

And to swerve sharply off topic, why have post numbers in threads been taken away? We used to have them and they were very useful when referring to previous posts, simply and easily. 

Can we have them back please?

Numbers are discriminatory and demeaning, I am not a number. NO!               from #6

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Numbers are discriminatory and demeaning, I am not a number. NO!               from #6

What, you mean like my narrowboat having to pay a license fee which is 83% of the license fee paid by a boat twice the size?

:giggles:

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I see that Athy is the most pedantic on this thread now, all power to the mods. 

I regard "pedantic" as a rather pejorative term. Perhaps you meant "erudite", though I'm far too modest to claim to be that.

Regarding Mike's question about the lack of post numbers, they vanished at least two years ago, perhaps longer. We did query it at the time and requested their reinstatement; as far as I recall, the answer was along the lines that the forum was buying its software from a new supplier who did not offer the numbering facility.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Regarding Mike's question about the lack of post numbers, they vanished at least two years ago, perhaps longer. We did query it at the time and requested their reinstatement; as far as I recall, the answer was along the lines that the forum was buying its software from a new supplier who did not offer the numbering facility.

I seem to recall that post numbering was not a feature of the basic forum software, but was provided by a third party add-on, which doesn't work with the latest version of the software.

A further complication was that when mods delete a post it isn't actually deleted, just hidden from general users. So ordinary members and mods will see different post numbering, which can confuse. And when a post is hidden and subsequent posts are renumbered for general viewers, references to numbered posts were not updated, so ended up wrong.

34 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A further complication was that when mods delete a post it isn't actually deleted, just hidden from general users. So ordinary members and mods will see different post numbering, which can confuse. And when a post is hidden and subsequent posts are renumbered for general viewers, references to numbered posts were not updated, so ended up wrong.

That is easily fixed. Instead of trying to pretend an offending post never existed when hiding it, the post content could be replaced by the words "Post hidden", or something along those lines.

This way we would be able to see that a post had been made and subsequently hidden by a mod, which I think would be a helpful transparency.

Edited by MtB
Finesse the point.
  • Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I regard "pedantic" as a rather pejorative term. Perhaps you meant "erudite", though I'm far too modest to claim to be that.

Isn't that a 2 part glue?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Isn't that a 2 part glue?

No, Aral made the glue, his brother Eru was the clever one in the family.

He had trouble selling his glue at first, but he stuck to it.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, Aral made the glue, his brother Eru was the clever one in the family.

He had trouble selling his glue at first, but he stuck to it.

Nah!  it was 'arold Dyte who made glue.

I see an interfering busybody has made safe the pedants' trap in the title, it caught a few, but the correction is wrong, it was MY Pedant's Corner. I know several leading Pedants then joined in but at the time of writing I was the only one there.

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

I see an interfering busybody has made safe the pedants' trap in the title, it caught a few, but the correction is wrong, it was MY Pedant's Corner. I know several leading Pedants then joined in but at the time of writing I was the only one there.

I agree. It is deeply distasteful for a mod to alter the content of a post without the agreement of the poster. 

He was was strongly censured for his habit of doing this a few years ago and told to stop, I am led to understand. Looks as though he has started again. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I obviously don't qualify as a pedant as I hadn't moticed it had been changed.

At least one member here left the forum after having a post changed without permission, when his objection and request for it to be changed it back was denied. 

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

At least one member here left the forum after having a post changed without permission, when his objection and request for it to be changed it back was denied. 

it's fair with bad words not the context of a post.

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

I see an interfering busybody has made safe the pedants' trap in the title, it caught a few, but the correction is wrong,

No, it wasn't an interfering busybody, it was a moddy. It you want the apostrophe moving, let us know, and it can be done.

27 minutes ago, MtB said:

I agree. It is deeply distasteful for a mod to alter the content of a post without the agreement of the poster. 

He was was strongly censured for his habit of doing this a few years ago and told to stop, I am led to understand. Looks as though he has started again. 

:clapping:

Very droll.

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Pedantic, or not, can humour be associated with a pedantic comment?

Being on the Rochdale at the summit level is the rarefied atmosphere a stimulus for a pedant?

Yes on both counts, us Northern Pedants are Revolting.

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

I obviously don't qualify as a pedant as I hadn't moticed it had been changed.

I moticed (sic) but then I'm a pedant. Best not to feed the Pedants. 

The inhabitants of the next pound down the hill are getting pedantically uppity too, mind you they live on the dark side of the border while my mooring is on the sunny side, Lancashire.

44 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

I moticed (sic) but then I'm a pedant. Best not to feed the Pedants. 

The inhabitants of the next pound down the hill are getting pedantically uppity too, mind you they live on the dark side of the border while my mooring is on the sunny side, Lancashire.

I coud be a pedant here and mention your typo

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I would take Athy as a mod over you being one all day long.

We often disagree but he is one of the most active mods on here and he deals with stuff with a light touch.

Against a background of mods who havent even visited for many many months.