Using the ladder in a lock

blackrose

Featured Posts

I dunno.

I thought that chest waders were made of soft pliable waterproofed material. When wading up to the waist surely most of the air will be forced out. (With just the air trapped in those long johns remaining). I never used the things so I don't know, just a thought.

Have a good Christmas all

Really really sorry ........ but this is a MAJOR IMPORTANT POINT.

Someone died simply by wearing chest waders and falling out of a dingy at Torksey earlier this year.

I DID NOT KNOW until this happened.

Live and learn......

Ah yes, that would be different then, lots of trapped air

Ah yes, that would be different then, lots of trapped air

With due respect to the accident victim.

Like a lot of people whom fall into swollen rivers, waders or not - panic, bad luck, cold, fitness, training/procedure pays a part.

You guys need to realise that the most powerfull rivers in UK and Europe are waded every day, day in, day out by salmon fishermen in chesties.

A good few of them go in once or twice in their careers. The procedure is to lay on your back.

Do you seriously think if waders dragged you down to certain death people would use them?

Urban Myth. Sort of tosh that people like to scare themselves other with over a pint.

Here is a random link ot two to keep yourself busy.

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/killerwader.shtml

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/special/opin_wading_debate.shtml

And it deals with the trapped air turning you upside down myth too.

There are loads more links including videos traning you how to deal with it.

Learn how to deal with it if it happens to you - sounds like you guys would just give up and ignorance/panic would contribute to another statistic.

Mark

Edited by mark99

You see, this is what happens when people are allowed to have free reign.

With respect Mark, please read what I wrote again.

On the subject of wellingtons etc. being the same weight under water.........well I agree. BUT it is much much harder to walk, and lifting them takes effort.

In the floods I put lightweight waders and wellies on to walk back from my boat. I was VERY VERY careful not to fall, or step into the river. It was patently obvious to me that I would drown, swimmer or non-swimmer that I am.

Sorry, this is not bullshit, or theory, or opinion, but PLAIN UNDISPUTABLE FACT.

The bottom line is......don't fall in.

The plain undisputable fact that I have written is if I had fallen in, waders, wellies, or not. Swimmer on non-swimmer that I am, I would have stood an 80% to 90% of drowning in that river, on that day.

This is another problem with posting to old topics.......it's a pity after a couple of weeks or so they are not locked. That way a new topic of similar nature, refering to the old one could be started, and this might reduce the risk of parts of posts being taken out of context, or misunderstood.

I would simiply as you, as I have asked others to respect people on the forum, including me.

So if you are going to inspect your boat, or work on it in flooded, fast flowing rivers, it is far better to wear shorts and sandals, than trousers/jeans or waders.

Of coures fishermen wear waders, as I and my friends do when working around boats in shallow water. This is what they are for, and I agree, if you fall over, you will most probably float, and end up in shallow enough water to allow you to stand up.

It's not a question of respect. I don't disrepect anyone.

:)

What I am trying to do is simply debunk the myth in the hope that it could help someone.

IE best advice if you fall into water in waders, lay on your back and go downstream. Don't panic.

If you read the thread above and believed most of it you could fall in the river with waders and virtually give up!

The bloke in the link above jumped into a swmming pool off a diving board wearing waders and he bobbed to the surface.

OK falling into cold swollen rivers are different - but they are an issue whether you wear waders or not.

Waders/wellingtons full of water are a problem if you try to walk in them that's why you don't.

As regards your facts - they are constantly shifting. One minute your say 100% then 80-90% then "with waders" then "with or without waders".

And as regard to respect I don't have to resort to swearing to make apoint or swotting off the posting with a comment about heads and parapets or winging about locking a thread because it interfers with your message - whatever that is.

Mark

Mark

Edited by mark99

You see, this is what happens when people are allowed to have free reign.

With respect Mark, please read what I wrote again.

On the subject of wellingtons etc. being the same weight under water.........well I agree. BUT it is much much harder to walk, and lifting them takes effort.

In the floods I put lightweight waders and wellies on to walk back from my boat. I was VERY VERY careful not to fall, or step into the river. It was patently obvious to me that I would drown, swimmer or non-swimmer that I am.

Sorry, this is not bullshit, or theory, or opinion, but PLAIN UNDISPUTABLE FACT.

The bottom line is......don't fall in.

The plain undisputable fact that I have written is if I had fallen in, waders, wellies, or not. Swimmer on non-swimmer that I am, I would have stood an 80% to 90% of drowning in that river, on that day.

This is another problem with posting to old topics.......it's a pity after a couple of weeks or so they are not locked. That way a new topic of similar nature, refering to the old one could be started, and this might reduce the risk of parts of posts being taken out of context, or misunderstood.

I would simiply as you, as I have asked others to respect people on the forum, including me.

So if you are going to inspect your boat, or work on it in flooded, fast flowing rivers, it is far better to wear shorts and sandals, than trousers/jeans or waders.

Of coures fishermen wear waders, as I and my friends do when working around boats in shallow water. This is what they are for, and I agree, if you fall over, you will most probably float, and end up in shallow enough water to allow you to stand up.

malc, i dont think anything above was posted with disrespect in fact totally the opposite, and in any case free reign is what discussion all about otherwise we are in danger of censoring topics or opinions that dont conform to the majority view or even worse case senario a minority view.

I think mark99 tried to give some good advice or point us to some good advice for specific situations but as we all know. there is nothing that can come close to regular training and experience

I mean this with the best possible will, you have to get past feeling your being slighted whenever someone posts an opinion contrary to your view.

Your views are important to all topics and so are others......in that way readers are able to make informed descisions on what is right for them.

I personally think your both right

and IMHO its the same as taking your boat to sea in bad weather...dont go into the water in the wrong conditions...the boat can be replaced....you cant

Malc,Your indisputable fact is incorrect.
Mark, that is what you have written.If I had fallen over in the river at Bardney that day I would have drowned unless a miracle had happened. That is the indisputable fact I was talking about. So I was correct.I did not say it is an indisputable fact that if you fall in a river wearing chest waders you will drown.
I personally think your both right
Yes, we are. Only I just wish people would not post starting 'malc you are wrong'. It is rude, ignorant, and serves no purpose whatsoever.I do not do that to others, so I don't expect to receive it either. If I think someone is wrong I will point that out, but by trying to explain the facts, and the reasoning behind them.I quite agree Mark should have pointed out the fact that if people are wearing waders and fall over they will most likely float and be able to get up again in shallow water. If I am wrong, I try to learn from it, and apoligise if necessary. I have done that many times in my life, which is why I am now often right, because I have learned from mistakes. Why on earth others can't is just something I don't understand, that's all.

Mark, that is what you have written.If I had fallen over in the river at Bardney that day I would have drowned unless a miracle had happened. That is the indisputable fact I was talking about. So I was correct.I did not say it is an indisputable fact that if you fall in a river wearing chest waders you will drown.Yes, we are. Only I just wish people would not post starting 'malc you are wrong'. It is rude, ignorant, and serves no purpose whatsoever.I do not do that to others, so I don't expect to receive it either. If I think someone is wrong I will point that out, but by trying to explain the facts, and the reasoning behind them.I quite agree Mark should have pointed out the fact that if people are wearing waders and fall over they will most likely float and be able to get up again in shallow water. If I am wrong, I try to learn from it, and apoligise if necessary. I have done that many times in my life, which is why I am now often right, because I have learned from mistakes. Why on earth others can't is just something I don't understand, that's all.

Malc, since the tone of your posts have been "I am right, how dare you cloud the issue with evidence" it is hardly surprising if that gets a few backs up.

Malc,

We are both correct.

We need to be very aware that swollen rivers are dangerous, wearing waders limits you to floating downstream unless you are a very good swimmer. Thanks - I think that's an admirable warning and timely in this era of floods.

As a postscript I added waders and immersion into water does not mean death or sinking or floating "upside down" - there is a well used procedure to deal with it.

Happy christmas mate.

PS I was in a river yesterday (fishing) with chest waders 8 hours solid (avoided falling in) but - blimey it was cold.

Regards

Mark :)

Edited by mark99