Water Cooling of a K2

Floaty Me Boaty

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Back up to Cannock on Monday to try to get to the bottom of a few niggles i have, one being the Water cooling.

Looking at another gents video on here, it would appear that he has water coming in from the outside and pumped around the engine before going back out.

The one we looked at, only appeared to have a small header tank.

Am i missing something or is that the norm for the earlier engines?

The engine number given suggests the build was around 1923.

I did spy the big offset spanner in the cabin, which was similar to one used to open the Water Cock, on another boat.

24 minutes ago, NobbyHall said:

Hi All,

Back up to Cannock on Monday to try to get to the bottom of a few niggles i have, one being the Water cooling.

Looking at another gents video on here, it would appear that he has water coming in from the outside and pumped around the engine before going back out.

The one we looked at, only appeared to have a small header tank.

Am i missing something or is that the norm for the earlier engines?

The engine number given suggests the build was around 1923.

I did spy the big offset spanner in the cabin, which was similar to one used to open the Water Cock, on another boat.

What you describe is direct raw water cooling and any direct raw water cooled engine can be converted to skin tank or keel cooler cooling as long as the skin tank/keel pipes are large/long enough. I bet the one you describe was skin tank cooled.

• Greenie 1

Kelvins were designed and built to be raw water cooled in fishing boats, but RW cooling is a disaster on canals as leaves, mud, plastic bags, dead sheep et al will block the water inlet with monotonous regularity.

Both of mine are therefore skin tank cooled, and it sounds to me as though yours is too.

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Kelvins were designed and built to be raw water cooled in fishing boats, but RW cooling is a disaster on canals as leaves, mud, plastic bags, dead sheep et al will block the water inlet with monotonous regularity.

Both of mine are therefore skin tank cooled, and it sounds to me as though yours is too.

Great news, thank you. 

Kelvin did actually make a closed circuit cooled version of the K.  It was the model L, and as far as I can see it was identical, except it came with a tube stack cooler for fitting outside the hull.

I would be surprised if yours is not fitted with a skin tank or tanks.  Do check they are large enough, remembering that these engines were designed for North Sea temperature water to be drawn in by the water pump.

N

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dave moore said:

I think that the tank on the bulkhead is merely the header tank. Matt would probably remember building the cooling tank or tanks, either below the engine or on the swim sides.

Dave

I will ask him on Monday Dave. 

11 hours ago, MtB said:

RW cooling is a disaster on canals as leaves, mud, plastic bags, dead sheep et al will block the water inlet with monotonous regularity.

Fulbourne has a raw water cooled National. Blockage of the inlet really has not been a problem since we placed aquarium filter foam in the mudbox. Needs cleaning out about once a year, and takes about 15 minutes.

• Greenie 1

The biggest advantage of keel/skin tank cooling, to me, is the ability to fill the  system with antifreeze and corrosion inhibitors.  That makes  scarce components last longer and obviate the risk of frost damage.

Minor downside is the slight continuous consumption of coolant in those engines with a ram type coolant pump.

N

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Fulbourne has a raw water cooled National. Blockage of the inlet really has not been a problem since we placed aquarium filter foam in the mudbox. Needs cleaning out about once a year, and takes about 15 minutes.

This is the complete opposite of my own experience when my Gleniffer was raw water cooled. It would routinely overheat every few days, mainly from leaves or plastic bags obstructing the inlet grille.

Not so many problems caused by all the dead sheep in the cut though, that was just hyperbole for entertainment. 

• Greenie 1