Living on River Severn or Kennett & Avon

daveswoodensigns

Featured Posts

I am starting my journey of investigation, about semi-retiring and living on a barge. Two canal and river systems attract me for reasons I will not go into. The k&A and the Seven.

The K&A has lots of locks and can get very busy which as a lone boater and someone who will still need to work may not work for me.

The Seven attracts me more but being a river and getting floods frequently mooring may be an issue.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, daveswoodensigns said:

The K&A has lots of locks and can get very busy which as a lone boater and someone who will still need to work may not work for me.

Perversely when its busy, this can work in your favour. Pair up with another boat through each lock and they are highly likely to work it for you, if you make it clear you are single-handing.

7 minutes ago, daveswoodensigns said:

Thought that might be the case, but I will be positive about the situation.

You say live on a barge so I assume you mean wide beam which will limit your navigation in that area. A suitable wide beam could do the Thames, K&A and then up to the G&S and Severn

Your only realistic option is the K&A or maybe the south Oxford (no barges though....narrowboats only).

The Thames is not suitable for CCing in winter and moorings are expensive, The Wey and Godalming and Basingstoke canal are lovely but liveaboards are not permitted, and any of the London Canals are chocker block.   

Edited by booke23

2 minutes ago, daveswoodensigns said:

Moorings may not be too much of a problem for me as in the summer months I would be up early, 5am and travel for may be 4 hours max, so as others start there days crusing moorings should become available. At least that is what I am working on.

Frankly, in that case I think you'll find the K&A just the ticket. Especially the eastern side of the big flight.

2 minutes ago, daveswoodensigns said:

Moorings may not be too much of a problem for me as in the summer months I would be up early, 5am and travel for may be 4 hours max, so as others start there days crusing moorings should become available. At least that is what I am working on.

You need to remember that many liveaboards do not move every day - they may move a mile or two once every week or even 2 weeks, so there is not a huge 'churn' in mooring availability.

Once you get into London, (apparently) 'moving day' is a co-ordinated activity where folks arrange with another boat a few 100 yards away to change places, sort of meets the legal requirements but basically means the mooring(s) are only empty for a few minutes.

If you want space, quiet, and moorongs available you need to move North,

5 minutes ago, booke23 said:

You can always find towpath moorings on the K&A, although you will find moorings at bridges where you can park your car busy as everyone has that same idea. I guess you will need a car when your are CCing if you are planning to work?

No my aim is to ditch the car. Use public transport! Cars and canal boats don't really mix well in my thinking, less stress.  My boat, widebeam 60x10, will probably be electric with adequate solar, (6.5 kw) and only moving every two weeks.

Edited by daveswoodensigns

5 minutes ago, daveswoodensigns said:

No my aim is to ditch the car. Use public transport!

That's good.....if you could ditch the job you would be free of all incumbrances!

I think @MtB suggestion of Moving between Caen Hill and Newbury would work well. If you want to go into a marina in winter you might have to cast the net a little further to find a marina with space....maybe west of the flight. 

Have you thought of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal?

You can continue up the River Severn, and run back for safety when bad conditions are threatened.

These are quite predictable, and you soon get to recognise the signs well in advance.

What about Stourport to Twekesbury to Stratford- on- Avon and back.

1 minute ago, Rebotco said:

Have you thought of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal?

You can continue up the River Severn, and run back for safety when bad conditions are threatened.

These are quite predictable, and you soon get to recognise the signs well in advance.

Interesting idea, thanks.