Anchors

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is that overused word again ..................

I'd suggest that the definition of 'affordable' to boaters with a) a £10,000 scrapper, b) a £100,000 NB, or c) a £200,000 fat boat will be very different, and, their willingness and ability to spend money to protect their investment will also likely to be very different.

Everything is 'affordable' to someone.

True, and they should also have some understanding of risk (which you're ignoring) to decide whether it's worth spending (say) £1000 to guard against something bad happening to a (say) £200000 boat with a probability of (say) 1 in 10000 of this ever happening over the entire time they own the boat -- which given how many boats this happens to every year out of the 35000 on the canals (almost none) is a reasonable risk estimate, or maybe even too high given the number of times an expensive anchor would have made a difference.

If they then decide to spend the money, then that's up to them -- but it's money badly spent by any calculation method you like when you take the risk of it actually proving useful into account... 😉

Edited by IanD

All I can say is that my NB had what was in effect a small chain locker right in the bow with a 10mm U welded to the hull. I fitted a  "hawser tube" with a 10mm base flange secured by four bolts to the "fore deck" and then a enormous shackle through the eye in the rode where it was shacked to that U. I am sure that U would stand a good chance of pulling of so the shackle would never pass through the hawser pipe. It may have pulled the fore deck off, but if it did so would attaching it to the T stud.

17 minutes ago, IanD said:

I do know (so put your ad hominem hammer away again...) which is why I didn't suggest a T-stud, I meant something stronger (or "strong enough") but maybe didn't make that clear...

Though some T-studs are pretty feeble and poorly welded and others a lot more substantial and better welded, so "good" ones are probably fine too 😉

(and I very much doubt that an anchor on the end of 10m of chain and 10m of cable can possibly provide the "shock loading" you describe, but let's ignore that...)

Stating something that has a good chance of being correct is not an ad hominem attack, two words which you frequently overuse. And that isn't one either, it's just a statement of fact.

4 hours ago, IanD said:

Surely the most likely reason to have to deploy an anchor is not to stop the boat going over a weir, but because the engine has stopped (or prop fouled) and the boat starts to drift downstream out of control?

When I had the engine stopping at semi regular intervals at the top of the Nene (fuel line issue) my priority was using the existing momentum and rudder to drift the boat somewhere where (i) I could avoid a collision and (ii) the current wouldn't move the boat much whilst I bled the engine, not walking to the front to deploy an anchor I might have struggled to retrieve.

(My thought process might have been different if I'd lost power on the Trent, but I made damn sure the problem was fixed by then!)

27 minutes ago, MtB said:

I've just checked the OP and see no mention of rivers. 

Your very own post -- that I was replying to and quoting -- was discussing rivers with unguarded weirs... 😉

Edited by IanD

38 minutes ago, MtB said:

I've just checked the OP and see no mention of rivers. 

Yes but the discussion moved on to discussing boating on rivers.

Did you miss the relevant posts?