Pagans Afloat

Stourbridgeguy

Featured Posts

I wonder whether Pagans can practise this faith without truly believing in the supernatural aspects, but seeing it as a useful way of regaining some sort of connection with nature? Or do you need to go all the way to make it meaningful.

Well, it is entirely up to you. Personally, I don't believe i need to be part of a "group" with a handy label to connect with nature, for me that occurs everyday through experience.

A few years ago, i was going through a very difficult patch in my life - my nan (who brought me up) had passed away, and my life changed quite dramatically; i was feeling lost and rather confused - then i started to get back into low impact camping, and spending time out-doors sleeping in woodlands with minimal equipment, and experiencing nature first hand. This led me to visit various islands in scotland on my own, and in small groups, and also led me to do various trips in the local area, cycling about - finding a field for the night, sleeping in a bivvi bag etc. By spending more time out doors i ended up gaining an interest in flora and fauna around me - and it also enabled me to bring a balance back to my life.

As you say, paganism is an umbrella term (well it is as far as i am concerned) and as such it is really up to you to decide in what aspects of it you feel comfortable with; with respect to the beliefs / folk law / legends of the past.

Personally, i am quite happy with my current beliefs and generally keep them to myself, as they are no real concern of others.

So we have a gay pagan?

Nothing new there really, live and let live I say! :P

Hear hear. And, if you're going to pick a religion, you might as well go for one that doesn't persecute you as an abomination who will burn in the fires of hell, like some of the more mainstream god-botherers.

No, but I can see how having the focus of ceremonies might allow for another level of contemplation. I guess you have a point with the 'hobby' comment though. I guess it's all or nothing.

[Edit - sorry I'm a slow typer / thinker so my reply to Carl is out of synch now...]

Edited by Breals

Well, it is entirely up to you. Personally, I don't believe i need to be part of a "group" with a handy label to connect with nature, for me that occurs everyday through experience.

A few years ago, i was going through a very difficult patch in my life - my nan (who brought me up) had passed away, and my life changed quite dramatically; i was feeling lost and rather confused - then i started to get back into low impact camping, and spending time out-doors sleeping in woodlands with minimal equipment, and experiencing nature first hand. This led me to visit various islands in scotland on my own, and in small groups, and also led me to do various trips in the local area, cycling about - finding a field for the night, sleeping in a bivvi bag etc. By spending more time out doors i ended up gaining an interest in flora and fauna around me - and it also enabled me to bring a balance back to my life.

As you say, paganism is an umbrella term (well it is as far as i am concerned) and as such it is really up to you to decide in what aspects of it you feel comfortable with; with respect to the beliefs / folk law / legends of the past.

Personally, i am quite happy with my current beliefs and generally keep them to myself, as they are no real concern of others.

Well said.

Speaking as a devout Satanist with a keen interest in human sacrifice and the drinking of virgins blood (warm), I salute Stourbridgegays stance. Each to their own I say and and if any members of the KKK or the occasional member of a hard-core neo-nazi troop pops in to say hello, I for one will welcome him with open arms and a resounding chorus of Deuchland, Deuchland........

Speaking as a devout Satanist with a keen interest in human sacrifice and the drinking of virgins blood (warm), I salute Stourbridgegays stance. Each to their own I say and and if any members of the KKK or the occasional member of a hard-core neo-nazi troop pops in to say hello, I for one will welcome him with open arms and a resounding chorus of Deuchland, Deuchland........

You are only saying that so's you can appear mysterious and interesting, not AT ALL like real pagans.

I shall continue to treat all strands of religous belief with contempt and derision, except mine of course which is the true way and the rest of you will burn.

You are only saying that so's you can appear mysterious and interesting, not AT ALL like real pagans.I shall continue to treat all strands of religous belief with contempt and derision, except mine of course which is the true way and the rest of you will burn.
I can't believe you consider your beliefs to be The One True Path, this is clearly erronious as any fule kno, for I am the keeper of the flame eternal and none shall....blah, blah, blah :P
Quite right. Nothing wrong with a happy Pagan. For me there is only one true God but he/she takes many forms. Did you know you can taste the hops in Ben truman?
What is God?

I can't believe you consider your beliefs to be The One True Path, this is clearly erronious as any fule kno

And I can't believe you would have the temerity to question the doctrines of the one true Beer Hamster, and think you're heading for the norty list (although I like the Deep Purple reference).

No, but I can see how having the focus of ceremonies might allow for another level of contemplation. I guess you have a point with the 'hobby' comment though. I guess it's all or nothing.

Well, whether you choose to do whatever ceremonies, contemplate nature, take an interest in any path or spirituality without having a faith, it is only your own choice and business anyway. And there is nothing wrong with having a hobby :rolleyes:

I know quite a few people who take an interest in reading occult or pagan books, learning about it, even doing ceremonies with people, just for interest rather than having any kind of pagan faith.

Well, whether you choose to do whatever ceremonies, contemplate nature, take an interest in any path or spirituality without having a faith, it is only your own choice and business anyway. And there is nothing wrong with having a hobby :rolleyes:

I know quite a few people who take an interest in reading occult or pagan books, learning about it, even doing ceremonies with people, just for interest rather than having any kind of pagan faith.

Nothing at all wrong with a hobby, or religious faith, except when it is imposed on other people, which the vast majority of people who practise their religion would never do.

As an atheist I find the 'belief system' that religious folk are able to accept fascinating. I used to think this ability was a naivete, in contrast to my cynicism, but I've since met plenty of god botherers who are just as cynical as I am so it must be something else.

For gawd's sake can't you all see that this reader (stourbridgeguy) is having you all on? Answering his points as if they were serious just makes it all the more amusing for him because he sees you making fools of yourself by taking the bait.

Gay pagan my arse.

He'll be telling you next that as well as that, he's a black, lesbian, one legged midget.

And out will come those naive readers offering help and advice.

Watch your crutch at locks, no we're not racists, no you are not alone because many of us ladies on boats have a little pussy on board and so on.

Steve

Edited by anhar

For gawd's sake can't you all see that this reader (stourbridgeguy) is having you all on? Answering his points as if they were serious just makes it all the more amusing for him because he sees you making fools of yourself by taking the bait.Gay pagan my arse.Steve
Who cares? We're talking about a subject, not a person. If the topic is worth discussing, what does it matter if the original poster is entertained by the fact that he's got us talking? Isn't that the point of an open forum?
is that a wish Steve? :rolleyes:
<_< excellent! :rolleyes:

Who cares? We're talking about a subject, not a person. If the topic is worth discussing, what does it matter if the original poster is entertained by the fact that he's got us talking? Isn't that the point of an open forum? :rolleyes: excellent! :rolleyes:
Whilst some of the talk Carl is about the subject I agree, several responses have dealt with the specific points raised by the original message about where to cast his runes or whatever it was, playing it straight as if they were answering a query on batteries or something.

He is taking the french and they have been taken in. Those readers are being made fools of by this person which I find rather regrettable, hence my post.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

He is taking the french and they have been taken in. Those readers are being made fools of by this person which I find rather regrettable, hence my post.

By suggesting that someone replying that the best place to throw one's runes is onto a dark red carpet orientated nor'-nor'-east is making a fool of themselves, you have (no doubt unintentionally), offended all the on-line druids in the community.

As have I. Whoops. Room in that cupboard for two?

Edited by Nine of Hearts

Oh lordy! Now we're offending the French. Where will it end?

Shurely you meant taking the Michael? (Michel if you must).

Oh dear 9oH, now Steve's going to have to explain to you about his contribution to the english language. Though let this historic moment be recorded. Snibs is officially the second person to ever use the phrase.

They are issuing an amended edition of the Oxford dictionary, as we type.

Edited by carlt