Brentford Film

mark99

Featured Posts

Towards the end is a feature about the canal. Including the boats I posted previously.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-what-and-where-is-paradise-1960s-1960-online?fbclid=IwAR2BYXGseAN4aNF1zndaNXj0un42pupk3pUnmoObSWbpBcoUeElD4qiUJN8

"This is a marvellous film, directed by Chris Owen, a student at Kingston Art School keen to explore Brentford’s industrial architecture. Numerous wonderful shots are taken of the area, many focussing on the gasworks – which he also films from inside – but also of wharves, shops, a funeral, factories, housing, advertisements, churches and drinkers outside the Beehive pub. Much of the vocal track comes from conversations with curious schoolchildren"

• Greenie 4

The format is 'wrong', and the sound is poor. But what comes across to me is the dereliction and scruffyness of everything, which was quite common to many areas of London and I'm sure the whole country, especially in towns. The end of an era.

Fascinating images from within and from the top of the gasworks. Brentford Market Hall still existed into the mid seventies, but derelict. You would have to go back another 30 or 40yrs to see the whole area a hive of activity.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Brentford Market Hall still existed into the mid seventies, but derelict. You would have to go back another 30 or 40yrs to see the whole area a hive of activity.

Not quite that far. My father went there just after the war to buy among other things sacks of plums that my mother then bottled in Kilner jars to last through the winter, along with the tomatos from the 100 plants in our garden.

Tam

• Greenie 2

Scruffy is good. 😀

In the 80's I considered living in Brentford as it was offering cheap<ish> flats. I had lots of Estate Agents sending me their details. Alan Freeman and Brentford Nylons. Now there is a memory.