CIN formats

Phil Key

Featured Posts

Some of the RCD/RCR requirements are onerous, but others are straightforward to comply with. So I find it rather surprising that a volume boatbuilder wouldn't comply with something as trivial as the correct format for the HIN/CIN/WIN. So either we have not got the complete story in this thread, or there really is an issue of non-compliance across the industry!

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Some of the RCD/RCR requirements are onerous, but others are straightforward to comply with. So I find it rather surprising that a volume boatbuilder wouldn't comply with something as trivial as the correct format for the HIN/CIN/WIN. So either we have not got the complete story in this thread, or there really is an issue of non-compliance across the industry!

Agreed, I suspect we may be discussing a builder's plate with the RCD plate and number else where. If things are as Alan says I simply can't see Colecraft getting it wrong.

26 minutes ago, David Mack said:

One I always pick up on is the number of narrowboats with navigation lights that don't comply, the other day we mentioned hatches in fuel tanks on this form, how many more things are there.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

One I always pick up on is the number of narrowboats with navigation lights that don't comply

Which is an interesting one as a) narrowboats aren't required to be fitted with navigation lights (on most waterways), b) it is not physically possible to locate nav lights at the positions specified in the international standards within a narrow canal clearance envelope, and c) BW/CRT Bye Laws specify diffenent nav light requirements, which overrule the standard requirements anyway.

Or to put it another way, to be legally sold a new nb must comply with one set of rules, but to be legally used must comply with a different set of rules!

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Which is an interesting one as a) narrowboats aren't required to be fitted with navigation lights (on most waterways), b) it is not physically possible to locate nav lights at the positions specified in the international standards within a narrow canal clearance envelope, and c) BW/CRT Bye Laws specify diffenent nav light requirements, which overrule the standard requirements anyway.

Or to put it another way, to be legally sold a new nb must comply with one set of rules, but to be legally used must comply with a different set of rules!

You are of course correct a Narrowboat doesn't normally require navigation lights and they are not called for under the RCD/RCR but what it does call for is, if they are fitter then they have to comply with the Col regs. which on Narrowboats they normally don't, in  a) the layout of the lights and b) the actual size of light fitted.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

You are of course correct a Narrowboat doesn't normally require navigation lights and they are not called for under the RCD/RCR but what it does call for is, if they are fitter then they have to comply with the Col regs. which on Narrowboats they normally don't, in  a) the layout of the lights and b) the actual size of light fitted.

It is similar scenario with a Car MOT & the dashboard warning lights - if they are not fitted you don't need them, if they are fitted then they must all work (no blown bulbs etc)

No-Workee, No MOT !

Full length NB's would not be easy to make compliant, but boats up to 20m (66 feet) can very simply be made ColRegs compliant, they aren't because it is 'inconvenient'.

You can mount a 'White' and a bi-colour on a short pole (say 1.5 metres) fixed to your roof. Removable when not needed. Add a White setern light and that pretty much it.

1833696572_Screenshot(250).png.0fd1f6d4ea8afb6e7377ab583c4d5428.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield