Overnighting - Camden, Islington

WJM

Featured Posts

I am thinking of doing a blast round the London Ring this week. I will need to overnight somewhere about two thirds the way around the canal. Has anyone got any thoughts, good or bad, about mooring at either Camden (above the locks) or Islington (east tunnel end) or is there anywhere else around there you would recommend?

I am thinking of doing a blast round the London Ring this week. I will need to overnight somewhere about two thirds the way around the canal. Has anyone got any thoughts, good or bad, about mooring at either Camden (above the locks) or Islington (east tunnel end) or is there anywhere else around there you would recommend?

Islington is fine

You may have to breast up as its often crowded.

Because of the size of Parglena I tend to stop just through the bridge, leaving enough room for people using the lock, since I am off before anyone is about.

There is a great old pub, The Island Queen, just round the corner in Noel Road, hasnt really changed in the 30 years since it was my works local.

Julian

Camden VM is currently full, its all winter moorings there this year, as is islington

I think it would prob be best to go below City Road lock and moor along there by the Narrow Boat

Camden VM is currently full, its all winter moorings there this year, as is islington

I think it would prob be best to go below City Road lock and moor along there by the Narrow Boat

Personally I would not moor any further towards Limehouse than the Narrow Boat.

Packington Estate that starts there is not the nicest of places.....

That is why I stay above the lock when there even though it is closer to the gate.

Julian

Personally I would not moor any further towards Limehouse than the Narrow Boat.

Packington Estate that starts there is not the nicest of places.....

That is why I stay above the lock when there even though it is closer to the gate.

Julian

We shall be knocking it down soonish, another public service rendered.... I thank yew!!

I was thinking of taking a detour before Limehouse - left up the Dukes Canal, down the Lee and into Limehouse by the Limehouse cut - good idea or bad?

Dukes Canal? Do you mean the Hertford Union? If so, you will pass Victoria Park where you can moor with other boats - not too busy at the moment...

Lea and Limehouse Cut should be OK - kids are in school, but not too bad usually. :smiley_offtopic:

I overnighted once there. (Shudder!) was woken at two as someone ran along the roof. Then again at three as a group of revellers were on the back deck singing "What shall we do with the drunken sailer?" Retrieved the life ring from the canal, then noticed the pole had been filched.

I suggest a couple of mud weights each end and moor about 10 feet out from the towpath! :smiley_offtopic:

Mike

Edited by NBMike

I was thinking of taking a detour before Limehouse - left up the Dukes Canal, down the Lee and into Limehouse by the Limehouse cut - good idea or bad?
you mean Ducketts canal!

BTW mooring by the Narrow Boat is ok, I have not had any problems here and been the only boat moored, neither have had any probs just below City Road lock.They've been saying for years that Packington Street estate is to be demolished. The area is actually my old locale and I know it very well, there's been a lot of work to mitigate the bad name Packington St estate has. But I suspect it is no worse than - in fact its probably better than mooring at Little Venice VM where many wintering boaters have had to resort to boarding up their towpath side windows to avoid the regular bouts of smashing boat windows by local youths from the council estate directly opposite.

When idleness says dont moor any further east than the Narrowboat, I wonder if he forgot about Old Ford? Its ok there and its the next moorings eastewards. And its near the shops and cheap and cheery markets of Roman Road, and also near Tesco's and other superstores in Bethnal Green road, plus Lidl's in Well st etc

As for Duckett's/Regents canal to Limehouse, generally the easier, but longer, route is via Ducketts with Tesco's superstore handy at Three Mills en route. But if you go direct its quicker and there's the chance to use Lidl's on Burdett Rd near Limehouse basin, or walk further afield and perhaps use tesco's at canary wharf.

I overnighted once there. (Shudder!) was woken at two as someone ran along the roof. Then again at three as a group of revellers were on the back deck singing "What shall we do with the drunken sailer?" Retrieved the life ring from the canal, then noticed the pole had been filched. I suggest a couple of mud weights each end and moor about 10 feet out from the towpath! :lol: Mike
it happened at paddingotn basin two years ago too - a supposedly secure area - when revellers began walking on roofs and rocking boats, a number of boaters had to start up trhis was 2am in the morning and move off round the corner by Bishops bridge because the revellers were getting somewhat violent

and at Limehouse I've seen kids running on boat roofs late at night and chucking anything that was loose into the basin, its easy because the boats sit so low in the basin that anyone can jaywalk along the boat roofs

Edited by fender

When idleness says dont moor any further east than the Narrowboat, I wonder if he forgot about Old Ford? Its ok there and its the next moorings eastewards. And its near the shops and cheap and cheery markets of Roman Road, and also near Tesco's and other superstores in Bethnal Green road, plus Lidl's in Well st etc

What I meant was no further east in that pound.... I have only ever once stopped at Old Ford it used to be a no go area many years ago far worse than Packington St, the advice was not to leave the boat unattended.

and at Limehouse I've seen kids running on boat roofs late at night and chucking anything that was loose into the basin, its easy because the boats sit so low in the basin that anyone can jaywalk along the boat roofs

I once came back to the boat to find someone fishing from the roof, somehow he managed to fall in and take his tackle with him......

Julian

I once came back to the boat to find someone fishing from the roof, somehow he managed to fall in and take his tackle with him......

Julian

Nice one! :lol:

When I was moored on the Thames at Reading two years ago I awoke to the sound of someone walking across my stern deck. I got up and popped my head out of the bow doors to see a kid of about 15 fishing from the other end of my boat, so I shouted at him to get off. To my amazement he just looked at me & ignored me, so I shouted louder and he got off and rejoined his two adult companions on the towpath. As they walked past I heard them speaking an Eastern European language.

I've been to Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova & Ukraine, and never once have I been tempted to set foot on someone's private property without permission.

Edited by blackrose

If you really want to be precise, surely it was always known as Ducketts Cut :lol:

Yes I know that but the wording was 'Duke's canal' so I just mulled that, didnt want to be too pedantic.

But if one wants more to life than that then let it be known that the bloke who went by the name of Duckett wasnt even Duckett to start with! So in ways it can be said that 'Ducketts' is a bit of a misnomer...

Just another little 'mystery' in waterways history - probably disgruntled with his old name...

Duckett was originally known as Sir George Jackson. He changed his name to Duckett, which was his wife's maiden name, in order to secure her inheritance.

The token for the Stort Navigation had the Jackson coat of arms on one side and the Duckett one on the other.

His motto was "I would rather suffer than defile" - say no more.

Duckett was originally known as Sir George Jackson. He changed his name to Duckett, which was his wife's maiden name, in order to secure her inheritance.

The token for the Stort Navigation had the Jackson coat of arms on one side and the Duckett one on the other.

His motto was "I would rather suffer than defile" - say no more.

"I would rather suffer than defile" - a classic case of vice versa where the hubby gets beat by the wife?? A warning to prospective hubbies to duckett when the wife brandishes the rolling pin?

I have a replica set of the Stort navigation tokens in presentation cases, there were still a small number on sale a couple of years ago

Stayed at Camden VM in the end, got stuck behind a 14'6" work boat coming up Hanwell Flight. He would probably have been ok but there must have been a lot going on the the Hindu world recently, the canal was full of coconuts which prevented the gates opening flush! Camden was excellent, towpath locked in the evening, bobbies on patrol. Islington was solid with boats. All around Victoria Park, including the Hertford Union looked good for a mooring.

Thanks for the info.