Overnight moorings on the Thames - help please.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

1.  I'm due to be going through Thames lock at Brentford soonish.  The CRT booking system for the day only allowed me to book one specific time.  I presume this is because that's the predicted time soon before high water?  So I should be able to ride the flood to Teddington, and arrive there around high water.  Is that right?

2.  Once through Teddington I'll be looking for somewhere to moor.  If England haven't been knocked out of the footie, they'll be playing that night so I'll be needing to settle in for that.  (No need for disparaging comments about football - we all like different things).  Can I moor immediately above Teddington lock on the lock moorings?  Or is there somewhere soon after where I can tie up?  Ideally somewhere with decent mobile signal, as my tv has been playing up.  All suggestions welcome.

I'm familiar with the Trent, Severn, Avon, Weaver and the upper reaches of the Thames above Oxford, but this bit is new to me so I'm not too sure what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

You should be able to go up with the tide and if not it will only be the last bit where its against you but unless you want to pay make sure you can get through Richmond (Twickenham) half tide lock while the weir gates are raised. I THINK (not sure) it four hours either side f high tide.

Usually plenty of mooring just above Teddington lock and you pay the lockkeeper. From then on it is all time limited and usually paid for to the riparian owners. Lots of no mooring signs.

If you're in the lock just before high tide you'll have about 20mins of slack water when you get onto the Thames and then you should be able to ride the flood tide all the way to Teddington. You should have an anchor and suitable length of chain/rope even though it's less than a 2 hour journey.

If there are no moorings at Tedders then carry on and you should be able to find a  mooring at kingston just after the bridge on the right.

So as mentioned, Teddington is most likely your best bet to stop, it's quite a long layby so chances are you will be okay there.

One that might suit is Stephens Ait - a island about ten minutes further up from Teddington - the small boat club mooring on the upstream end of the island is yours free for 24 hours and surprisingly quiet. There is a pub opposite so may add atmos to your evenings viewing.

Kingston Moorings, as mentioned are your next best bet, Ten minutes or so up from Stephens Ait on your right. You will need to register arrival and pay.

There are other moorings but those will have you sorted. Internet and TV signals all good.

Richmond opens about 2 hours before and after high tide, giving you a 4 hour window. Journey time sub 2 hours - i do a bit further in 1hr30.

Enjoy.

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

If you're in the lock just before high tide you'll have about 20mins of slack water when you get onto the Thames and then you should be able to ride the flood tide all the way to Teddington. You should have an anchor and suitable length of chain/rope even though it's less than a 2 hour journey.

If there are no moorings at Tedders then carry on and you should be able to find a  mooring at kingston just after the bridge on the right.

I'm a bit confused by this.  If I go through the lock just before high tide, then won't the ebb tide follow the slack water?

1 minute ago, Dave_P said:

I'm a bit confused by this.  If I go through the lock just before high tide, then won't the ebb tide follow the slack water?

Don't worry abut it unless the Thames is on red boards. The time you are on the tideway  will be short so although you may arrive at Teddington on the ebb the flow won't be a problem. In general tidal flows vary from zero at high and low and gradually increase and then  decrease as it approaches the next high/low tide.

I had no problems in a54ft NB and a nominal 35 BHP engine.

When the weir gates (part of the bridge structure itself - you navigate under them) at Richmond half lock are opened the effect is that the tide moves inwards towards Teddington. 

So when you leave Brentford it won't be flowing much if the gates are still down but once they are up it will start moving faster. 

I've come out of Brentford a few times at the recommended time and sometimes had to wait a short while before the gates at the bridge are lifted. 

Of course there is another discussion to be had here and that is that CRT can't actually dictate when you leave the lock. That's up to you although it could be too shallow in Brent creek so it's sensible to take advice. 

For moorings I would always recommend pushing further and stopping outside Hampton court palace. It's so much nicer than Kingston !! And it's a pleasant run up to HC from Teddington. About an hour I suppose although I never tend to time my boating. 

A little bit risky if it's full as can be a bit tricky to get in after Molesey lock with not many sensible visitor moorings and the mooring at Hurst park with a close and very useful Tesco is probably squatted anyway. 

Edited by magnetman

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

When the weir gates (part of the bridge structure itself - you navigate under them) at Richmond half lock are opened the effect is that the tide moves inwards towards Teddington. 

So when you leave Brentford it won't be flowing much if the gates are still down but once they are up it will start moving faster. 

I've come out of Brentford a few times at the recommended time and sometimes had to wait a short while before the gates at the bridge are lifted. Do you mean the Richmond Bridge?  Are you saying it's worth taking it slowly up to Richmond Lock to ensure the gates are open?

Of course there is another discussion to be had here and that is that CRT can't actually dictate when you leave the lock. That's up to you although it could be too shallow in Brent creek so it's sensible to take advice. Are you sure?  I had to book passage through the lock online.  Are you saying there's no need to book the lock and I could just turn up and work the lock myself?

For moorings I would always recommend pushing further and stopping outside Hampton court palace. It's so much nicer than Kingston !! Noted, although my first choice will be Teddington.

A little bit risky if it's full as can be a bit tricky to get in after Molesey lock with not many sensible visitor moorings and the mooring at Hurst park with a close and very useful Tesco is probably squatted anyway. 

The algorithm on the CRT website gives you a time for your slot that 2 hours before HW there, so the tide will push you nicely up to Teddington.

You should be able to go straight through at Richmond (but not any arches that have three red circles on - that means closed). As well as moorings noted above, Hampton Court is rather fine.

Some comments (C:) on your comments (this software doesn't like this way of replying!)

I've come out of Brentford a few times at the recommended time and sometimes had to wait a short while before the gates at the bridge are lifted. Do you mean the Richmond Bridge?  Are you saying it's worth taking it slowly up to Richmond Lock to ensure the gates are open?

C this is not likely to be an issue, the weir is lifted about 2 hrs before HW.

Of course there is another discussion to be had here and that is that CRT can't actually dictate when you leave the lock. That's up to you although it could be too shallow in Brent creek so it's sensible to take advice. Are you sure?  I had to book passage through the lock online.  Are you saying there's no need to book the lock and I could just turn up and work the lock myself?

C:Thames Lock Brentford is open HW-2 to HW+2, within normal working hours (0500-2200, by prior appointment).  You cannot work the lock yourself. You can work the gauging lock yourself but beware the moorings between the two locks are not good at the moment.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy