Gloss paint?

Katie Wales

Featured Posts

The colour match machines need a piece about the size of a stamp or 5p coin. I took a minuscule flake which was no use. I compared this flake with the paint mix colour charts in a Johnstones store both inside and outside, in the sunlight and took a pint on the nearest match. It took a while to decide the right match but it was practically identical. I did buy a small amount first to check it was right. Once you've got the right paint the tin should be coded up for buying more. 

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

Dulux Decorator Centre tried to match a paint sample for me, but I was told the gloss original was too shiny for the machine to work from. Ended up doing a by-eye comparison with a range of colour swatches to get an acceptable match, which was then mixed to order.

And later I found a Wilko standard colour that looked identical- so that's probably what I was trying to match, and would have been much cheaper!

Who paint’s their boat with Dulux?  Oh not me I use Wilko. 
 Are you for real? I’m talking about professional paint suppliers not high street bargain outlets. You get what you pay for Wilko’s??????

Edited by PD1964

On 02/06/2021 at 21:57, Katie Wales said:

We've just bought a second hand narrowboat and she needs a full exterior paint job, is it possible to use a matt finish paint to give the same protection as gloss?

Yes it will protect as well as gloss and matt finish also hides surface imperfections quite well, but with its open finish it scratches much more easily than gloss and you'll find yourself having to repaint it more regularly if you want to keep it looking nice.

21 hours ago, matty40s said:

International Paints Matting agent comes in a tin, easy to mix well and doesnt clump if mixed regularly. Satin finish is achieved with a 1 to 1 mix, and flat Matt finish with more like 25 paint/75 additive. This is what we use if needing a matt finish.

Using one of these and a power drill makes life so much easier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-1609200291-Paint-mixer-drills/dp/B000XJ3PG4

I've tried it but found I needed a 50/50 mix before it started to turn my gloss paint matt. Personally I wouldn't bother with it again.

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Who paint’s their boat with Dulux?  Oh not me I use Wilko. 
 Are you for real? I’m talking about professional paint suppliers not high street bargain outlets. You get what you pay for Wilko’s??????

I think you are confusing Dulux consumer paint, available from the DIY sheds, which is water based and crap, with Dulux Trade paint, available from the Decorator Centre trade outlets, which is a high quality solvent based paint used by tradesmen.

And Wilko? Just the likely source of the paint used on the boat by previous owners, which I was trying to match.

My paint chemist contact used to remark that paint for the DIY user was formulated to meet the price that the DIY stores wanted to sell it for, whereas stuff for the professional market was made to a performance specification.Thus there was no guarantee that DIY paint, even that sold under a well-known brand, would be identical with the same stuff bought the previous year. If the buyers were only prepared to pay a certain price, and the cost of the raw materials had increased, the manufacturer would use cheaper ingredients.

Now that lead based paints (which were made to a British Standard Specifcation) are no longer readily available, I have been using Dulux Trade paints. I must say I was impressed by the covering power of the white trade undercoat. We retained our original back door as an internal door for our extension. The exterior side had been painted black, and I had  expected that multiple undercoats would  be necessary for the high gloss white replacement. In fact only a single application of  undercoat was necessary.   Somewhere on their web site it was mentioned that their professional products had superior covering power and my experience confirmed this.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos