Jump to content

Apologies for the weather.


Featured Posts

Hello.

For once the Nightwatchers are on a schedule to get from A to B. Namely Banbury to Langley Mill for docking.

 

Everyday so far we have had rain fall in one shape or form, with quite persistent rain yesterday afternoon evening. Don’t mind a bit of rain but the journey would be far more enjoyable if it weren’t raining.

 

So, as per the topic title, Murphys Law has dictated that it rains. Sorry!

 

As a footnote. We are going to Langley Mill for two main reasons, we needed to ‘stretch our legs’ after lockdown and we like Langley Mill, the people who own and run the place and the work they carry out the work.

 

 

 

 

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

 

 

As a footnote. We are going to Langley Mill for two main reasons, we needed to ‘stretch our legs’ after lockdown and we like Langley Mill, the people who own and run the place and the work they carry out the work.

 

 

 

 

Is Peter still in charge?

The Langley Mill area was very run-down and rough for years, after they knocked the factories down and didn't think of building anywhere else for people to work. Blokes I knew when we lived in Heanor, building-trade types who were probably very capable of looking after themselves, used to say they would be wary of spending an evening in a Langley Mill pub. I believe that it's slightly on the up nowadays (and the pub by the basin, the Great Northern?, was always an exception anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is Peter still in charge?

The Langley Mill area was very run-down and rough for years, after they knocked the factories down and didn't think of building anywhere else for people to work. Blokes I knew when we lived in Heanor, building-trade types who were probably very capable of looking after themselves, used to say they would be wary of spending an evening in a Langley Mill pub. I believe that it's slightly on the up nowadays (and the pub by the basin, the Great Northern?, was always an exception anyway.

 

Last time we moored there the basin was a bit of an 'oasis' in rather bleak surroundings. The Elsan was one of the most scrupulously clean ones I've ever seen, but I think the local canal society maintain it not CRT.

 

It was actually a very nice place to break down. 

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The boatyard is run by Dan and Vikki. Dan is stagedamager this forum. A lovely couple. The North Western is a pub I have been to but a bit run down. They sold beer so was okay by me. There is a micro pub a short walk away that seen to appreciate your custom. Nearby the basin there’s a Lidl, a Tesco, Maccy dees and KFC. The boatyard is much improved, the drydock is dry.

 

Had a good day today. Atherstone to Hopwas.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

The boatyard is run by Dan and Vikki. Dan is stagedamager this forum. A lovely couple. The North Western is a pub I have been to but a bit run down. They sold beer so was okay by me. There is a micro pub a short walk away that seen to appreciate your custom. Nearby the basin there’s a Lidl, a Tesco, Maccy dees and KFC. The boatyard is much improved, the drydock is dry.

 

Had a good day today. Atherstone to Hopwas.

 

We moored there before Dan had it I think.

 

There was a boat on the hard being lengthened  so I thought I would ask if they could weld our broken alternator bracket. 

 

They couldn't for some very strange reason so we had call on RCR who could.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We visited Langley Mill last year. The canal is quite urban in places but we had absolutely no problems and the locals were notable for their friendliness. Visitor moorings are very limited in the basin, but Dan gave us a warm welcome and suggested where we could moor for the night without causing an obstacle.

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Athy said:

Is Peter still in charge?

Keep up at the back there! 

Dan (@stagedamager) and Vikki have run the Langley Mill yard since 2016. Dan told us about it at the time, and a good number of forum members have visited them there since.

Great people, lovely place and the whole trip up the Erewash is well worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Keep up at the back there! 

Dan (@stagedamager) and Vikki have run the Langley Mill yard since 2016. Dan told us about it at the time, and a good number of forum members have visited them there since.

Great people, lovely place and the whole trip up the Erewash is well worth it.

I knew that Stage Damager moored there but not that he ran the yard.

So, has Peter retired?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not aware of Peter. Dan’s dad is about, his name might be Peter. I have no hesitation in saying that Dan would have assisted and welded anything that moved given the chance, even an alternator bracket.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pete retired when we took over in 2016, my dad is still involved but has taking a step back, he is on here as Hughc. My brother is now a partner in the business, also on here as tomc, we always look forward to welcoming forum members to Langley Mill and are currently developing plans to further improve the yard to be able to grow the business.. 

 

Kind regards

 

Dan

  • Greenie 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Pete retired when we took over in 2016, my dad is still involved but has taking a step back, he is on here as Hughc. My brother is now a partner in the business, also on here as tomc, we always look forward to welcoming forum members to Langley Mill and are currently developing plans to further improve the yard to be able to grow the business.. 

 

Kind regards

 

Dan

Thanks for clarifying the situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

 

We moored there before Dan had it I think.

 

There was a boat on the hard being lengthened  so I thought I would ask if they could weld our broken alternator bracket. 

 

They couldn't for some very strange reason so we had call on RCR who could.

That alternator bracket has broken and been mended at least 3 times since that I am aware of!!!

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That alternator bracket has broken and been mended at least 3 times since that I am aware of!!!

 

I'm fairly sure I got around to replacing it after it was welded and kept the welded one as a 'spare'. I bought a replacement from Chris somebody on here. So whilst it's not the exact same one my suspicions that it was/is perhaps misaligned are correct?? Or maybe just poor design/quality??

 

 

 

 

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.