Day tripers

sdraper78

Featured Posts

On 09/05/2021 at 16:48, OldGoat said:

For canal folk  - yes, for river and sea use folks leave them down......

I get your point but once, on the River Wey, I tried to follow a Springer into a lock and failed to get in given that he had the largest fenders I had ever seen. All of them white plasticky material! 

3 minutes ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

I get your point but once, on the River Wey, I tried to follow a Springer into a lock and failed to get in given that he had the largest fenders I had ever seen. All of them white plasticky material! 

They were probably flotation tanks to keep him above water level.

I remember a boat moored up on the Llan which had an open side hatch through which a child of about nine years old appeared every time a boat went past, even on tickover, and would shout abuse, using some of the worst language I've ever heard. The boat was pristine, the interior was clean, tidy and well fitted out (yes, I did peer through the windows as we went past) so I would assume it wasn't owned by people who had been thrown out of an inner city council estate for not paying for their drugs.

The child seemed surprised when I smiled at him and suggested that he modify his language before the Police were called to attend to his threatening behaviour. He burst into tears and disappeared back inside the boat complaining about nasty boaters.

I can only assume that since their boat was very badly moored his parents had told him to ask people to slow down as they were getting fed up with their G&T spilling all the time.

• Haha 2