Grease nipple for stern tube?

Featured Posts

Hiya,

The grease nipple on my 30 year-old narrowboat has started leaking.

I bought a new one on ebay, but it was the wrong thread.

Any idea what thread I'm likely to need? And where I can get one online?

Thank you,

Jim

54 minutes ago, jhodgski said:

Hiya,

The grease nipple on my 30 year-old narrowboat has started leaking.

I bought a new one on ebay, but it was the wrong thread.

Any idea what thread I'm likely to need? And where I can get one online?

Thank you,

Jim

Take the one you have along to an engineer's merchant who will be able to match it up for you. I see you are in Sale, W H Provoas are in Trafford Park, Brian S Pope are in Stockport, a google search may show others.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Take the one you have along to an engineer's merchant who will be able to match it up for you. I see you are in Sale, W H Provoas are in Trafford Park, Brian S Pope are in Stockport, a google search may show others.

Thanks for the replies. I've just been in touch with W H Provoas, but they said their sales counter is now closed. However, they said they may be able to help me via email...

Have messaged Brian S Pope, too.

Also, couldn't find the link before, but this is a grease nipple I've already tried: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352412450411 . It almost fit, but the thread wasn't quite right. (Just in case that provides any clues as to the one I actually need.)

Edited by jhodgski

3 minutes ago, jhodgski said:

Thanks for the replies. I've just been in touch with W H Provoas, but they said their sales counter is now closed. However, they said they may be able to help me via email...

Also, couldn't find the link before, but this is a grease nipple I've already tried: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352412450411 . It almost fit, but the thread wasn't quite right. (Just in case that provides any clues as to the one I actually need.)

Useless link as it does not say what thread it is. Probably metric anyway.

What is it leaking? grease? water? 

Edited by Tracy D'arth

52 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Useless link as it does not say what thread it is. Probably metric anyway.

What is it leaking? grease? water? 

It's leaking water. It seems like the ball bearing inside (or whatever it is) has got stuck. Or, if there's a spring in there, maybe that has broken.

14 minutes ago, jhodgski said:

It's leaking water. It seems like the ball bearing inside (or whatever it is) has got stuck. Or, if there's a spring in there, maybe that has broken.

Most likely the interior spring has wrapped its hand in, or there is muck between the ball and its seat.

If the aànipple is leaking water there is not enough grease in the stern bearing, which is likely to wear faster if used. Put a grease gun on the nipple and pump plenty of grease into the tube, at least till water stops coming out, but ideally till you can feel grease coming out round the propshaft with your arm down the weed hatch.

N