River Soar CaRT riparian ownership

Mike Adams

Featured Posts

I was looking at some land on a backwater of the river Soar. On a map it shows it as part of a main EA watercourse. I noted the lock cuts and other sections are not marked as EA. Would these sections of backwater have riparian ownership such as you get on the Thames or would CaRT have any jurisdiction and control and be able to change mooring fees?

Anyone any experience on this river?

6 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

I was looking at some land on a backwater of the river Soar. On a map it shows it as part of a main EA watercourse. I noted the lock cuts and other sections are not marked as EA. Would these sections of backwater have riparian ownership such as you get on the Thames or would CaRT have any jurisdiction and control and be able to change mooring fees?

Anyone any experience on this river?

Mike, you need to talk to the people who bought the island between Sileby and Cossington locks. If you ring Sileby Mill boatyard they may be able to give you a name and phone number. Boats are moored on the backwater of the island. At Sileby Mill boats moored in the backwaters do not need to be licenced but this may be because of 'grandfather' rights. Where we currently moor in the mill pool we don't need a licence until we move onto the main section of the river.  Another place to ask is MGM at Thurmaston as they have boats on the backwater. What happens at the offline moorings at Redhill, Kegworth, Zouch, Meadow Farm at Barrow, and Proctors at Barrow are boats licenced. You could try ringing them pretending to want a mooring and ask about licencing.

All the best

Richard

As I understand it CRT are the navigation authority, but not the landowner for the river sections, although they may be for the lock cuts. The riparian owners own the river bed up to the middle of the river, so CRT cannot charge you for mooring over and against your own land.

Licencing is not so clear. It may be that you only need a licence for a boat in the main navigable channel, but Tony Dunkley's experience on the Trent would suggest that assuming this could be a high risk option. 

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

As I understand it CRT are the navigation authority, but not the landowner for the river sections, although they may be for the lock cuts. The riparian owners own the river bed up to the middle of the river, so CRT cannot charge you for mooring over and against your own land.

Licencing is not so clear. It may be that you only need a licence for a boat in the main navigable channel, but Tony Dunkley's experience on the Trent would suggest that assuming this could be a high risk option. 

If you read the court’s judgment in the Ravenscroft case it is clear that as far as licensing is concerned, the main navigable channel is from bank to bank on the main part of the river.  For maintaining a suitable depth of water etc the main navigable channel is narrower.  Some believe that this judgement is wrong and could be challenged in the appeal court, but so far no one has tried.........

A few years ago, we looked into possibly buying that island, with others,  and were told that wouldn't need a mooring licence if moored round the back, away from the navigation. Wouldn't need a boating licence if didn't move but that would have been impossible unless prepared to row ourselves to land for supplies.

On 07/04/2021 at 23:42, David Mack said:

Tony Dunkley's boat is on the main navigation of the Trent. I don't know what the final outcome was of his dispute.

2 hours ago, Mrs Trackman said:

A few years ago, we looked into possibly buying that island, with others,  and were told that wouldn't need a mooring licence if moored round the back, away from the navigation. Wouldn't need a boating licence if didn't move but that would have been impossible unless prepared to row ourselves to land for supplies.

Tony Dunkley's boat is on the main navigation of the Trent. I don't know what the final outcome was of his dispute.

The couple and bloke who now moor on the island also have a licenced short tug "Growler", which they use to go back and forth from Sileby.

CRT did try to stop them mooring above the lock(when the river was in flood as well), stating it had been spotted for more than 14 days in the same spot. However, a friendly boater informed them that as the daily journey was indeed bona fide navigation, and the CRT checkers never came when the boat wasn't there, CRT didnt have a leg to stand on.