Boat Safety Scheme Survey

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Jerra said:

You seem to forget we aren't talking about trained firefighters we are talking about boaters and IIRC you suggested trying to put the fire out as a boater.   The point being the trained firefighters say don't do it and I doubt any tackle fires only equipped with an extinguisher.

In dangerous situations it is always best to follow the experts advice i.e. don't try to fight the fire just get out.

I am not advocating you put yourself in danger.

If you are unable to cope with the situation,  phone 999, ask for the fire brigade and make sure you identify the location. 

Make it clear that the boat has been evacuated and if there is any particular danger they need be made aware of eg Calor gas and petrol containers.

You should alert close neighbours. This is common sense, you don't need to be a trained firefighter to use common sense.

You should have thought through various scenarios in your head beforehand, it will then  be easier to act without panic should the need arise. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

16 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Who knows, if they didn't bother to fit a £15 CO detector. Lots of builders today have a BSS done on a new boat before handing it over as that is an independent inspection. 

Why optional BSS when they need RCD? (Slight differences in requirements as well)

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Why optional BSS when they need RCD? (Slight differences in requirements as well)

My personal thoughts on having a BSS inspection on a new boat as an 'independent inspection' is that you are wasting your money.

A BSS examiner will not be able to see how the boat is built, what it is built to, or even if it complies with the RCD. All he probably 'knows' is the BSS requirements, which are a small fraction of the requirements of the RCD

If you want an independent inspection then a surveyor should be engaged who will visit at all key stages of manufacture and sign off compliance at each stage (like when you have your new house built, the Council building inspector comes when you have dug the foundations, when you are up to ground level. when you are up to 1st floor etc etc etc . At each stage he 'signs off' to say it complies with the approved drawings).

2 hours ago, Idle Days said:

Apologies for being misleading. 

And me for grasping the wrong end of the stick

48 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

There were a few cases early on where 4 year old boats were failing the first BSS inspection. Remember the RCD is self certified. You build a boat and sign to say it complies.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My personal thoughts on having a BSS inspection on a new boat as an 'independent inspection' is that you are wasting your money.

A BSS examiner will not be able to see how the boat is built, what it is built to, or even if it complies with the RCD. All he probably 'knows' is the BSS requirements, which are a small fraction of the requirements of the RCD

If you want an independent inspection then a surveyor should be engaged who will visit at all key stages of manufacture and sign off compliance at each stage (like when you have your new house built, the Council building inspector comes when you have dug the foundations, when you are up to ground level. when you are up to 1st floor etc etc etc . At each stage he 'signs off' to say it complies with the approved drawings).

That was what I was really hinting at but posed it as a question rather than make a definitive statement!

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There were a few cases early on where 4 year old boats were failing the first BSS inspection. Remember the RCD is self certified. You build a boat and sign to say it complies.

I admit that I was assuming a professional builder under contract rather than a self build. In that case you do have the possibility of remedy under the contract if the builder gave a false statement (but you do have to assume that the builder is still in business!). Our builder subbed out inspection of those elements where he did not have personal professional competence (and had subbed out the actual work as well (eg Gas Safe). But in the end it is the builder's signature overall that matters. You have no comeback to the BSS examiner (or even a surveyor) if they miss something.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Remember the RCD is self certified. You build a boat and sign to say it complies.

That is only allowed for boats on Cat D waters because the risk of catastrophic failure, and the effects if it does happen, are so small that the manufacturer can self-certify, but they are still legally liable having signed to say it is manufactured in accordance with the specifications.

'Boats' such as 'lumpy-water' (Cat A & B  ) must be signed off by an authorised surveyor (The RYA controls the list of approved surveyors in the UK) during the course of the build.

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is only allowed for boats on Cat D waters because the risk of catastrophic failure, and the effects if it does happen, are so small that the manufacturer can self-certify, but they are still legally liable having signed to say it is manufactured in accordance with the specifications.

'Boats' such as 'lumpy-water' (Cat A & B  ) must be signed off by an authorised surveyor (The RYA controls the list of approved surveyors in the UK) during the course of the build.

Sorry I tend only to refer to canal boats unless specified otherwise on here.

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry I tend only to refer to canal boats unless specified otherwise on here.

Thats fair enough - it is a canal based forum, but there are boats on the canals and rivers which are built by commercial companies that do use surveyors to certify their compliance (hence taking the manufacturers 'risks').