Stove sanity

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive seen worse boats thats for sure. How many years full time living on a boat do the team have? I have met so many over the years that talk about liveaboard spec boats and comfort and very nearly every case they live in houses!! Inexperience shows immediately when the stove position is talked about. I will explain so the builder knows for future reference. The reason many of us position purposely the stove at one end although not stuffed in the corner is due to living aboard comfort, having had a boat with central stove before I always go for stove at one end. The simple reason is that the stove is in the cabin with seating and tv etc and thats were the boat needs to be warmest, far too warm for sleeping so further down the boat comes the galley so a bit cooler followed by the sleeping and bathroom arrangements so cooler still and much better for sleeping whilst still allowing stove in all night at a setting to allow for comfort. This system has worked for decades and continues to do so. It also allows for easier layout of chairs, sofas etc in the day cabin.

Always central for stoves for me, down one end doesn't work for me, especially as I like to fit the calorfier behind it makes for a better heating system 

• Greenie 1

Just now, peterboat said:

Always central for stoves for me, down one end doesn't work for me, especially as I like to fit the calorfier behind it makes for a better heating system 

Not on a narrowboat old boy a central stove with a calorifier behind it on a narrowboat!! have you been on the sauce?

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Not on a narrowboat old boy a central stove with a calorifier behind it on a narrowboat!! have you been on the sauce?

It's what I did and it worked great, only ever needed a summer quilt, it was a bubble stove on kerosene so easy to turn down to very low, calorifier in cupboard with airing cupboard above it, worked well 

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It's what I did and it worked great, only ever needed a summer quilt, it was a bubble stove on kerosene so easy to turn down to very low, calorifier in cupboard with airing cupboard above it, worked well 

You will tell me youve got a poxy composting bog next ?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

44 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You will tell me youve got a poxy composting bog next ?

At least it's a full length boat.

(for the Calder and Hebble :D)

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, dor said:

The stove might ( in some eyes) look pretty, but where do you keep the fuel?  One of the big advantages of a stove at the front is that it is handy to get to fuel kept in the well deck.  I wouldn’t want to be carry coal in, or hot ash out, across a light grey fluffy carpet.  Maybe the stove is for show.

And why only a three burner hob?  In a galley designed to be used for cooking I would want a proper hob.

I guess the boat would suit someone who wants a weekend cottage in a marina, but it looks very impractical for use by a boater.

Do many people cook on 4 hobs simultaneously? I think the most I've had going at once (on land) is 3 myself.

• Love 1

OK so looking at the hob, it would be adequate i think, its a well spaced one, some are actually quite difficult to get 3 pans on, especially if one is a frying pan.

I've had a better look through now. Lots of 240v sockets, can't spot any 12v, but may have missed them. 

I'm not a fan sorry to say. Its neat and well finished in that smart new kitchen way of houses, but has no character, seems sparse somehow, I can't put my finger on it quite. There seem to be a lot of mirrors which made me have to really figure some bits out.(that might just be me not liking mirrors much! ?) Its a boat for the marina hairdryer brigade without a doubt, nice enough in its own way i suppose, if thats what you are looking for. 

I am fairly surprised the outer design of paintwork is as it is, just appears plain and dull, but i think I read its metallic? Not good to touch up I imagine.

I was trying to figure if the bedroom was clad straight down from the gunwale, as it appears very cramped. We have an inline bed that extends to 4ft 8, and we still walk down fine, that, at 4ft looks very tight, but for all the many photos there are (!) I can't see for sure....perhaps I need another eye test! ?

Hopefully they will return to fill in the rest of the answers, its always good to know.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Ally said:

OK so looking at the hob, it would be adequate i think, its a well spaced one, some are actually quite difficult to get 3 pans on, especially if one is a frying pan.

I've had a better look through now. Lots of 240v sockets, can't spot any 12v, but may have missed them. 

I'm not a fan sorry to say. Its neat and well finished in that smart new kitchen way of houses, but has no character, seems sparse somehow, I can't put my finger on it quite. There seem to be a lot of mirrors which made me have to really figure some bits out.(that might just be me not liking mirrors much! ?) Its a boat for the marina hairdryer brigade without a doubt, nice enough in its own way i suppose, if thats what you are looking for. 

I am fairly surprised the outer design of paintwork is as it is, just appears plain and dull, but i think I read its metallic? Not good to touch up I imagine.

I was trying to figure if the bedroom was clad straight down from the gunwale, as it appears very cramped. We have an inline bed that extends to 4ft 8, and we still walk down fine, that, at 4ft looks very tight, but for all the many photos there are (!) I can't see for sure....perhaps I need another eye test! ?

Hopefully they will return to fill in the rest of the answers, its always good to know.

It does nowt for me Ally, just dont like it especially as I wouldnt be able to put solar on the roof

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Ally said:

Hi Ally. 

We used bronze mirrors throughout. I am not sure if it is the mirror, or the reflection you are not a fan of. Mirrors have been placed in the dressing area of the boat, to give you a place to change and reflect on your day ahead. The items you pickup on are all aesthetic, and we'd be more than happy to design a boat to your exact requirements. There are both 240v and 12v sockets onboard. We also provide the boat with a full 12month insurance backed warranty that can be extended up to 15 years, to cover all aspects of the boat. This will give the owners peace of mind that anything which may happen in the future to there investment is fully protected throughout the boat. The paintwork is metallic; and is easier to touch up than a flat colour. If you scratch the paintwork, a G3 compound will remove. A chip or deeper scratch can be touched up with the extra paint provided. 

The boat is designed for both live aboard and casual cruisers. The bed is a standard double, with plenty of walking space to the side. If you would like to view the boat (even as a window shopper), I'd be happy to show you aboard and discuss the full feature list, and give you a better understanding of the space onboard. 

12 hours ago, peterboat said:

It does nowt for me Ally, just dont like it especially as I wouldnt be able to put solar on the roof

The boat has suffice space for up to 1Kw of flexible solar panels. If solar is something that you are unable to do yourself, it can be negotiated or requested at an additional cost when making the purchase. The boat has got the wiring in place for the new owners to easily install should they wish to do a DIY. The boat has a 175Amp Leisure and 75Amp Starter Alternators. I hope this aid's any questions you may have. 

51 minutes ago, Oakums Narrowboats said:

Hi Ally. 

We used bronze mirrors throughout. I am not sure if it is the mirror, or the reflection you are not a fan of. Mirrors have been placed in the dressing area of the boat, to give you a place to change and reflect on your day ahead. The items you pickup on are all aesthetic, and we'd be more than happy to design a boat to your exact requirements. There are both 240v and 12v sockets onboard. We also provide the boat with a full 12month insurance backed warranty that can be extended up to 15 years, to cover all aspects of the boat. This will give the owners peace of mind that anything which may happen in the future to there investment is fully protected throughout the boat. The paintwork is metallic; and is easier to touch up than a flat colour. If you scratch the paintwork, a G3 compound will remove. A chip or deeper scratch can be touched up with the extra paint provided. 

The boat is designed for both live aboard and casual cruisers. The bed is a standard double, with plenty of walking space to the side. If you would like to view the boat (even as a window shopper), I'd be happy to show you aboard and discuss the full feature list, and give you a better understanding of the space onboard. 

The boat has suffice space for up to 1Kw of flexible solar panels. If solar is something that you are unable to do yourself, it can be negotiated or requested at an additional cost when making the purchase. The boat has got the wiring in place for the new owners to easily install should they wish to do a DIY. The boat has a 175Amp Leisure and 75Amp Starter Alternators. I hope this aid's any questions you may have. 

thank you for your response. 

I am not in the market for a boat, but thanks for the offer! 

You haven't come back to two questions, off the top of my head, one from the original post of the proximity of the wood trim on the stove surround wall front, and, is this your first build? May I also add one, are you BMF and CBA members? Thanks. 

51 minutes ago, Oakums Narrowboats said:

Hi Ally. 

I am an electric boat fan which my widebeam is. I love the silence when cruising along. To do this with a narrowboat it would have to be full size both for space on the roof and waterline length, plus room inside [57 x 12 makes for real usable space]. Finesse has 10 boats on order and 9 of those are for full electric drive is this something that you will be doing in the future?

• 1 month later...