Help me communicate, please

LadyG

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, W+T said:

Thanks Rach. Ona  good note though I think you mire appreciate the new project though Rach. Well its my sanity now, atleast ill still have a boat to sit on int garden lol Wort bit is getting blinkin help to do things.   

Fury.jpg.378ec66faf9847e57d2f0158e076036c.jpg

That looks a cracking boat.

Sorry to hear about your health,hope you are fit enough to get your boat up and running.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, W+T said:

whys that Rach

Petrol availability waterside, petrol cost waterside, fuel economy (or lack of), petrol engines and their electrics not being fond of a damp environment, direct raw water cooling and finally the safety aspect. 

Having seen a pair of petrol boats go up in flames after a refuelling incident at the fuel berth it just wouldn't be my choice of fuel to store in any great volume onboard!

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I had a Fairline Holiday which had the AQ 170 and 270 outdrive (single) apart from the usual 'petrol agro' (sourcing and additional requirements) it wasn't actually 'bad' on juice.

DSCF0004a.jpg

DSCF1362.JPG

Form research this one will do around 5gph which isnt bad at 30knots.

32 minutes ago, W+T said:

We had a Fairline Corniche (twin 6 cylinder 6 litre Volvo Turbo's) which managed 1.57 miles per gallon at 2 5knots, but at not much over £1 per gallon it wasn't the end of the world.

We had to get a tanker to come down onto the harbour wall to "fill up the tank" as the boat club didn't have sufficient for a 'thirsty' motor cruiser.

We'd paid 20p per litre in Holyhead and 29p per litre in Port St Mary

Joint Venture 1001.jpg

Port St Mary.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

11 hours ago, W+T said:

I bet it didn't achieve 5 gph!

Our diesel cruiser at 30 knots is only just hitting that!

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We had a Fairline Corniche (twin 6 cylinder 6 litre Volvo Turbo's) which managed 1.57 miles per gallon at 2 5knots, but at not much over £1 per gallon it wasn't the end of the world.

We had to get a tanker to come down onto the harbour wall to "fill up the tank" as the boat club didn't have sufficient for a 'thirsty' motor cruiser.

We'd paid 20p per litre in Holyhead and 29p per litre in Port St Mary

Joint Venture 1001.jpg

Port St Mary.jpg

Economical compared to some. 

Some friends of ours have a 40ft Fairline Flybridge and that isn't get a half mile per gallon at 25 knots. 

Not great with the cost of fuel now! 

52 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Some friends of ours have a 40ft Fairline Flybridge and that isn't get a half mile per gallon at 25 knots. 

You made me think, & you are correct.

I have gone back thru my Logs and the 1.57 mpg was actually the average over a 600 mile cruise, (Holyhead, IoM, Southern Scotland, the Clyde and Lochs,West coast of Scotland, and return) much of which would have been at 17-20knts. so the '25knots' consumption would have been considearblty worse.

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

What year was that ?

July 2001

Holyhead 20p

Port St Mary 29p

Troon 21p

Rhu 21.5p

Campbeltown 25p

It was (is) always much cheaper to go into the Fishing docks than the 'sailing clubs', but the Port St Mary price was probably due to having to get a road tanker down into the harbour as a 'special delivery'.

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

July 2001

According to the bank  of England inflation is a factor of about  1.7 between 2001 and now so 25p would now be 42p

So yes that was relatively cheap considering I paid £1.11 at the 6/40 split this year .

23 minutes ago, MartynG said:

According to the bank  of England inflation is a factor of about  1.7 between 2001 and now so 25p would now be 42p

So yes that was relatively cheap considering I paid £1.11 at the 6/40 split this year .

No such thing as 'the split' back in those days.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No such thing as 'the split' back in those days.

That was before my time owning  a boat , although we did hire a narrowboat on a couple of occasions around 2002 / 03 it came with fuel  included in the hire cost.  I vaguely recall the diesel was more like 40p but I may be wrong. 

By the time we bought a boat in 2008 I seem to think we were paying about 80 or 90p but don't have any records to verify that  . So over the last decade or so fuel price inflation has been modest .

15 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That was before my time owning  a boat , although we did hire a narrowboat on a couple of occasions around 2002 / 03 it came with fuel  included in the hire cost.  I vaguely recall the diesel was more like 40p but I may be wrong. 

By the time we bought a boat in 2008 I seem to think we were paying about 80 or 90p but don't have any records to verify that  . So over the last decade or so fuel price inflation has been modest .

Red Diesel :

1/6/07 £0.39

1/8/07 £0.3769

17/4/08 £0.59 

2/6/09 £0.4272

25/1/16 £0.3293

Central heating Oil (Kerosene) All + VAT

26/05/06 £0.362

16/11/07 £0.390

11/02/08 £0.404

1/07/08  £0.5845 

22/03/13 £0.6213

9/03/15 £0.389

25/1/16 £0.239

Todays price £0.25

Fuel prices are all over the place and trying to take standard inflation rates is meaningless when the price is controlled by supply & demand (and the will of the Arabs)

You can 'assume' nothing regarding fuel prices.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

According to our records when we first got the boat we were paying 60ppl for fuel.

That has gone up to 80ppl this year. Although we have only put fuel in it once this year! 

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I bet it didn't achieve 5 gph!

Our diesel cruiser at 30 knots is only just hitting that!

I'd feel a right dick sitting up there like King Canute.  A forty stone person up there would probably capsize the boat. Mind you a forty stone person would need craning aboard onto it.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

According to our records when we first got the boat we were paying 60ppl for fuel.

That has gone up to 80ppl this year. Although we have only put fuel in it once this year! 

£1.11 at Farndon this year  but I think you are talking about domestic rate prices ?

On 07/11/2020 at 16:22, MartynG said:

£1.11 at Farndon this year  but I think you are talking about domestic rate prices ?

There was no 60/40 split when we bought the boat. 

The only lot of fuel we have bought this year was 80p at a 40/60 split as we were topping up what had been used while we were ashore.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

There was no 60/40 split when we bought the boat. 

The 60/40 split was introduced in November 2008 according to the interweb.

I bought my first boat in March of 2008  so must have paid whatever the duty was before that during our first summer season.

Edited by MartynG