Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
MisterP

Any way of checking when longterm CRT moorings expire and 'Yelvertoft' style moorings?...

Featured Posts

Hello all,

 

after just over a year of skulking the forums it's time to get stuck in with some questions. I'm one of the lucky ones whose job makes working from home possible, workable and enjoyable for the longer term, a change hastened by the coronavirus and the inevitable question - why are we all shelling out £2k plus to treck in to London, only to sit behind a desk all day...finally got my boating holiday booked after which I think its time to take the plunge.

 

I have a flat in London that will be rented out so if it all goes wrong I at least have a backup option.

 

Plans - I'm looking to buy a 57ft (or thereabouts) in Q1 next year, cruiser stern, no pump out (yes, very much settled that debate in my mind at least for now). I'm on my own and very much

 

I've already visited lots of marinas within the 1 1/2 hr radius (train or car) but I am yet to find a marina that fits my (admittedly) very specific needs:

 

  • out in the country
  • long term moorings
  • plenty of space that looks out over open countryside and a sense of space - Yelvertoft Marina is the only one I've found that ticks all the boxes but doesn't do residential 😒

 

Others look the part on Google maps but the reality is very different when you visit in person. Cowroast looks the part from a birds eye view but the reality is way different.

 

Anyway, question. I've done my time scouring the CRT website and marked off the tiny number of non-London (but still within an 1 1/2 of London) longterm moorings I'd be interested in bidding for. Does anyone know if there is a way of finding out when the current license for a plot ends? The CRT tells me there isn't, all you can do is wait which for planning purposes seems ludicrous. Is there a third-party website etc that logs bids etc, or is this a definite no?

 

Thanks for any hints and tips both on the Yelvertoft-style marina and the CRT data, can't wait to get out on the water.

Edited by MisterP
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to CWDF.

Probably the only way to find out when a mooring contract ends is to ask the owner of the boat on that mooring - but do note that these contracts are renewable. Our boat's on a CART long-term mooring, I think the contract was for three years in the first instance, then we had to renew it annually. So just because his contract ends in September it doesn't mean that he'll be vacating the mooring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Anyway, question. I've done my time scouring the CRT website and marked off the tiny number of non-London (but still within an 1 1/2 of London) longterm moorings I'd be interested in bidding for. Does anyone know if there is a way of finding out when the current license for a plot ends? The CRT tells me there isn't, all you can do is wait which for planning purposes seems ludicrous. Is there a third-party website etc that logs bids etc, or is this a definite no?

 

Very, Very few of C&RTs moorings are legally / officially Residential, they do say in the description if they are leisure or residential.

 

I presume you are logged onto the C&RT moorings / auction / buying site ?

 

There are only 3 unoccupied Residential C&RT moorings within 50 miles of London

 

https://www.watersidemooring.com/Search?Location=London%2C+UK&DistanceMiles=50&Length=18&Beam=2&Coordinates=51.5074%2C-0.1278&tab=&Availability=availablenow&Availability=occupied&BerthUse=Residential

 

 

 

Screenshot (310).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't get too bothered about being non residential, unless the marina spells it out that you must not spend X amount of time sleeping on the boat, and yelvertoft is not like that..

 

Even CRT moorings get a blind eye turned, just keep your head down and you will be ok.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’ll be a waiting game for the mooring. 
As Alan suggests, if you haven’t already, register on the CRT moorings site and you’ll get updates as when moorings come up. You select the areas of interest. 
 

In the meantime why not take on a mooring while you wait. There’s not a lot to stop you staying on your boat in a marina for as long as you like. And of course you don’t have to stay in the marina, you can even move about on the canal. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

Very, Very few of C&RTs moorings are legally / officially Residential, they do say in the description if they are leisure or residential.

 

I presume you are logged onto the C&RT moorings / auction / buying site ?

 

There are only 3 unoccupied Residential C&RT moorings within 50 miles of London

 

https://www.watersidemooring.com/Search?Location=London%2C+UK&DistanceMiles=50&Length=18&Beam=2&Coordinates=51.5074%2C-0.1278&tab=&Availability=availablenow&Availability=occupied&BerthUse=Residential

 

 

 

Screenshot (310).png

 


Yes, logged in and on my watchlist using the CRT’s website so will be emailed when they come up for renewal. So I’ve trawled through the few I’d want to bid for. But it would be helpful if I knew how many years the license had left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

 

There are only 3 unoccupied Residential C&RT moorings within 50 miles of London

 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot (310).png

...of which two, Northolt and Wembley, are very convenient for London - though neither is really "out in the country"Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Athy said:

Welcome to CWDF.

Probably the only way to find out when a mooring contract ends is to ask the owner of the boat on that mooring - but do note that these contracts are renewable. Our boat's on a CART long-term mooring, I think the contract was for three years in the first instance, then we had to renew it annually. So just because his contract ends in September it doesn't mean that he'll be vacating the mooring.

Hi Athy,

 

when your 3 years is up does it not go back out for tender so if you don’t win the bid you’d need to vacate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Hi Athy,

 

when your 3 years is up does it not go back out for tender so if you don’t win the bid you’d need to vacate?

No.

I did mention that they were renewable. Towards the end of the year's period, CART send us a letter saying "The price for the next 12 months will be £----", and we can accept it or decline it. Only if we decline it would the mooring become vacant. CART would then re-advertise it - eventually! At our LT mooring site, some gaps were there for months before they got re-advertised.

Edited by Athy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Athy said:

No.

I did mention that they were renewable. Towards the end of the year's period, CART send us a letter saying "The price for the next 12 months will be £----", and we can accept it or decline it. Only if we decline it would the mooring become vacant. CART would then re-advertise it - eventually! At our LT mooring site, some gaps were there for months before they got re-advertised.

Ah, sorry, that fills in another knowledge gap, I didn't realise the existing moorer got first dibs, I thought it just went straight out to tender 👍 

In which case Goliath you are probably right, start off in a marina first.

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

...of which two, Northolt and Wembley, are very convenient for London - though neither is really "out in the country"Q

I've been researching occupied sites well outside London (but 1 1/2 drive of where I need to be in London). So north of London which is where (at least on paper) my number 1 CRT choice is located.

Edited by MisterP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you need to drive? Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire both have great train links with London, beautiful countryside and probably cheaper moorings. (Just don't tell everyone!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Do you need to drive? Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire both have great train links with London, beautiful countryside and probably cheaper moorings. (Just don't tell everyone!)

Hi Mrs M,

 

no, definitely don't need to drive although I am looking at finally getting my motorbike license and ticking that bucket list option. I've narrowed it down to 3, options now, two marinas and one CRT longterm mooring to keep an eye on for eventual bidding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Do you need to drive? Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire both have great train links with London, beautiful countryside and probably cheaper moorings. (Just don't tell everyone!)

That is very true - there are 100's who commute from Newark to London every day - over the last 10 years it has really become a commuter town.

Rural living ( with 3 good marinas) all the facilities that a town can offer and a 2 hour train to London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Hi Mrs M,

 

no, definitely don't need to drive although I am looking at finally getting my motorbike license and ticking that bucket list option. I've narrowed it down to 3, options now, two marinas and one CRT longterm mooring to keep an eye on for eventual bidding.

Perhapse take a look at North Kilworth Marina near Market Harborough.  It is a relativity new marina, good facilities,  set in the country side and the town has direct rail inks into London, the North.

I have moored there since October 2019 and like it.

 

 

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.